• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(350395)

Recruit
6 Badges
Jul 20, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Can we get some realism on the firing arcs of the weapons?:(

The bow and stern weapons on most classes should have 240+ degree firing arcs and not 90 degree arcs.

Weapons mounted on the beams should have firing arcs of 150-160 degrees.

I should not have to turn my ship more than 60 degrees to completely unmask my rear battery to shoot at a ship I had been facing bow on.

Its an arcade game, not a realistic naval sim.(eg, The inclusion of laser weapons and sea monsters); so by definition the weapon functionality is more down to game balance than how they work IRL.

Its an arcade game, not a realistic naval sim.(eg, The inclusion of laser weapons and sea monsters); so by definition the weapon functionality is more down to game balance than how they work IRL.

I don't expect it to be a truly realistic naval simulation. I figured it wasn't that immediately. I was looking for something with a little more sim and a LOT less arcade. It looks like I may have pissed away my money on this one.

I don't expect it to be a truly realistic naval simulation. I figured it wasn't that immediately. I was looking for something with a little more sim and a LOT less arcade. It looks like I may have pissed away my money on this one.

^This exactly. Needs a WWI/pre-carrier mod so I can have giant battleship line battles.

Smaller arcs are better, so positioning and thinking ahead becomes more important. I prefer a more skill oriented gameplay even if the consequences are that a mistake get me spanked.

Smaller arcs are better, so positioning and thinking ahead becomes more important. I prefer a more skill oriented gameplay even if the consequences are that a mistake get me spanked.

Historically, naval positioning has been very important, even with wide arcs of fire. Looking at manoeuvres performed by WW1-era fleets(the most prominent of the turret era), it's a lot more involved than "sail up and hammer away".

Last edited:
I guess part of the problem for me is that I am a former US Navy Surface Warfare Officer. A key factor in the way you handle the ship in combat is based on unmasking as many weapons as possible, or a particular weapon based on the mission and threat. Look at the deck plans of any modern warship back to HMS Dreadnaught. Even the worst laid out ship has better firing arcs than what we are allowed here.

Another problem I have is that we are not given sufficient (any?) intelligence to allow us to properly redesign our fleets. I have still managed to win through the Arctic Serpent missions despite some otherwise disastrous arming decisions.

A key factor in the way you handle the ship in combat is based on unmasking as many weapons as possible...
That is not any less true here only the game is instead a lot more arcadey than realistic. If the weapon arcs were made more realistic (larger) in this type of game positioning would become almost useless instead of being something you need to think ahead with.

Just visualizing the firing arcs better would be a huge improvement for me, so I'm not guesstimating my heading so much when trying to get a target in the overlap. E.g., showing all arcs maybe in the ship design interface (I can't even zoom out far enough to see arcs for most weapons in the ship design screen.)

Anyhow, wider arcs could easily be balanced for gameplay by fiddling with turret rotation speed. But why stop there? It would also add a tiny bit of depth to positioning on the deck building screen since arcs would need to be affected more by the bridge, etc. (But again, you'd have to be able to see the arcs at all in the first place, which you can't. So there's that.) Additionally, they could then use wide arc turrets as a justification to add more variations on the railgun (i.e., smaller weapons of a similar style, stronger with tight arc, perhaps as beam weapons) so there's a play-style choice between fixed punchy weapons with more boat micro, and speedier movement and more arc management from a ship with more and weaker turretted guns.

I do like the idea of have lower damage weapons with a wider firing arc and perhaps faster turret rotation speed. For instance be able to bring to bear and fire in 1 turn.
In contrast then the heavy, high damage, or long range turrets may still have a wide firing arc but may take an entire turn to sweep through the arc before getting into a firing position.

This would allow you to bring to bear some small rapid firepower yet still give small ships the ability to outmaneuver large guns which is realistic and I wouldnt think too hard to implement.

Great Game so Far!