• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(29738)

First Lieutenant
May 28, 2004
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have been having several game and then PC crashes lately when I either load or save a game.

I dont want to loose my current game as it is a very interesting one, by reinstalling HO1, therefore, I have included the detailed error message that occurs just prior to the crash, in the hope someone will have an answer.

ERROR MESSAGE:

DDHELP caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:baab99f4. Registers:

EAX=002a001d CS=0167 EIP=baab99f4 EFLGS=00010287
EBX=e00000020 ss=016f ESP=007dfd38 EBP=007dfd4c
ECX=e52e2590 DS=016f ESI=00008dc2 FS=2dff
EDX=00008dde ES=016f EDI=007dfd54 GS=2eef

Bytes at CS=EIP:

I am running HO1 vanilla patched to 106C and prior to this game had no problems? I run the game on a 500MGH pentium III PC with 512MG RAM and use Windows 98 second edition, and a Nvida Gforce grafics card.

It started only crashing infrequently, but now does it on a regular basis, forcing me to reboot and run a windows test each time. At this rate it will take me 10 years to complete this game, which I would like to do.

Hope someone can help? Thanks.
Regards
Barry

IIRC that is a Direct Draw error.

Okay let's try some standard things.
1) Rename the AVI folder to AVI_back
2) Set the color depth to 16BIT
3) Turn off everything in the background like E-mail/ICQ/Messenger, Virus protection and everything in the system tray beside the clock.
4) Update your Windows, update your Video card drivers and audio card drivers. Then repeat steps 1-3.

Especially everything in #3.

If none of that works, and it might not because the game may now be corrupted.

Please run a DirectX Diagnostic:
Start menu –Run - then type Dxdiag, then select each tab across the top of the window, and run the tests on each tab. Then select “Save All Information” button in the lower right of the window. This will bring up a dialog box to allow you to select a name for the file where the information will be saved. You can save it right on the desktop as this will make it easy to find. Then copy the contents of that file from the start to the heading that says “DirectX components” then paste what you have copied into a post in this thread.

Thank you for your prompt reply, I will try your suggestions over the week end, but I already do, and have done #3 & #4. I never play games with progams running in the background as they are power hungary.

The only thing I can think off, and mybe you could advice, is that for this particular game I hade the resolution set to 1024x768 while all my other games I think were run in 800x600. Could this make a differance and cause that error message?

Thanks again

The answer is that it depends on your Graphics card it's driver and your monitor.
Try it in the other resolution.

Problem persists?

Hi, have taken time coming back to you as I tried everything I Knew and then some? New drivers, differant resolutions, no programmes running in background, to all running in background, etc etc.

Getting ready to tear whats left of my hair out as the problem persists. The game has become so unstable that it crashes regularly when saving, reloading, exiting game and occasionally when pausing. At this rate it will take me ten years to complete one game.

I dont know why this is happening as it never used to and nothing changed on my PC which does not have an internet connection and is used only for games?

Yours in confusion and frustration!
Barry :confused:

Please consult the second half of post #2.

Sorry for the inconvience, but it really is the best way for me to get a snapshot of your system.

Okay, keep me updated pls.

HOI stopped working...

suddenly HOI stopped working... after graphics get installed, i get the error

" could not open file db units none.txt "

and then everything freezes... any idea why this has happened OR HOW TO CORRECT IT?

thanks!

:confused:

@ erhpdm
You need to start your own thread please.

Hi Castellon,

Just an update! Spent time over week end trying to reconfigue the PC I use at home for games. I had to format and re partition the hard drive as everything went :wacko: It was a last resort as I kept getting blue lines and grafics anomalies, across the screen and memory failure every time I re booted. Doubly annoying was that I lost all my saved HOI games as I could not get the CD burner to operate under those conditions and prior to my formating the hard drive!

The tragedy is even with only DOS and Windows reloaded I am still getting "memory test failure" every time I reboot, so I dont want to reload HOI until this can be sorted out.

Do you possibly have any suggestions? I have to press F1 to continue the boot to just reach the C:\ or Windows?

Regrds
Barry

Sounds like you may have some bad memory.

If you take them to a reputable dealer they shouyld be able to test them for you, but it might be better if you take your whole system in.

Although memory is pretty cheap these days, so if you wanted to say get 256 and try that by itself, then if you found it was not the memory, the extra you bought is still going to benefit you.