• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hypaspist

First Lieutenant
On Probation
10 Badges
May 4, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
Instead of having 300 abysmal to mediocre tags , why not have say 6, 8 or 10 Big Cultural Blocks (+ some slight variation between states)

i am not saying to remove tags from the map, but to make gameplay so very unique to their Cultural Block to which they belong to.
This should include Total reinvigoration and Implementation of all reaching and all ecompassing features.

Italians (rome extra attention)
Caananites (from lebanon to carthage, sure some minor variations)
Barbarians ( dlcs further split them into: gauls,germans,britons,dacians etc)
Diadochi and Greeks (similar but not the same)
Indians
Steppe Nomads
Generic (untill DLCs flesh them out) : Arabians,Ethiopians and North Africans (west of cyrenaica)

so thats 7 radically ,truly different factions.

think of Endless legend level of different. it has to be big and some Realism has to be sacrificed. Imperator is far from deep and realistic simulation anyway, and it does not need to be one.
now i am not saying to make it less complex than it already is , oh no no , not gonna fall into that trap. i am saying make it so that each Cultural Block's unique gameplay is tied to already existing game mechanics like pops etc and whatever comes in 2.0

i think we are obsessing with this and that mechanics, this or that UI mistake or this or that Historical reality or fiction. The Real thing that would make u play I:R for 10 hours straight is exotic ,different , fun mechanics for each Cultural Block. We dont need 300 clones on the map , but few truly unique Settings or Atmospheres. theres no need for constant race toward perfect UI or balancing. that can come later

Reactions:
I like the nuance and historically accurate diversity of "tags". Also, with the culture overhaul in 1.5 the I:R world feels more interactive with all these "tags". Then we have monarchies, republics and tribes for different government mechanics. I would rather say that game play should be more meaningful if possible, but not diverse.

Reactions:
Instead of having 300 abysmal to mediocre tags , why not have say 6, 8 or 10 Big Cultural Blocks (+ some slight variation between states)i am not saying to remove tags from the map, but to make gameplay so very unique to their Cultural Block to which they belong to.

So we would still have all tags, divided in culture groups (where each has a dominating unique playstyle? what would that be?) and inside the culture groups some small differences between the tags (e.g. our current heritages?)

This should include Total reinvigoration and Implementation of all reaching and all ecompassing features.

Can you go a bit deeper what you mean by this?

Italians (rome extra attention)
Caananites (from lebanon to carthage, sure some minor variations)
Barbarians ( dlcs further split them into: gauls,germans,britons,dacians etc)
Diadochi and Greeks (similar but not the same)
Indians
Steppe Nomads
Generic (untill DLCs flesh them out) : Arabians,Ethiopians and North Africans (west of cyrenaica)

so thats 7 radically ,truly different factions.

Reminds me of the MT system. Do you intend to have something similar for the civil/culture/economic part of the game? Or would that ne not "radically" enough?

think of Endless legend level of different. it has to be big and some Realism has to be sacrificed. Imperator is far from deep and realistic simulation anyway, and it does not need to be one.
now i am not saying to make it less complex than it already is , oh no no , not gonna fall into that trap. i am saying make it so that each Cultural Block's unique gameplay is tied to already existing game mechanics like pops etc and whatever comes in 2.0

I have Endless Legend, but I never really get into it. I disagree with IR not being a deep/realistic simulation and even more with the statement that it shouldn even aim to be one. I don't object adding flavour and differentiating as many tags as possible to create an unique gameplay experience, but EL as inspiration? The approach it takes is fine for fantasy/scifi games, but in a historic setting I prefer more nuanced differences instead of exaggeration, often leading to a cartoonish representation of cliches. I already started to struggle with the Civ series since Civ6 in this regard, but the fact that you play on a random map and the core of it is rather writing fictional, alternative history makes this still just acceptable here.

i think we are obsessing with this and that mechanics, this or that UI mistake or this or that Historical reality or fiction. The Real thing that would make u play I:R for 10 hours straight is exotic ,different , fun mechanics for each Cultural Block. We dont need 300 clones on the map , but few truly unique Settings or Atmospheres. theres no need for constant race toward perfect UI or balancing. that can come later

Unique content is nice, but it does not help with fundamental mechanic or UI flaws. Instead of playing 10h with new content, I currently wish that playing 10h with existing content becomes a richer and more pleasent gameplay experience.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
ill copy ketchup and friends and say

If you are proposing such an extensive overhaul, you should provide more details

Because frankly i don't really get what you mean, you are not the first to ask for more cultural flavor but you give no examples of what would differ between cultures or any examples of unique mechanics so i'm abit lost about what exactly you want.

Reactions: