• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would prefer longer rather then shorter. This would expand the timeline enough in case you like to try alternate scenarios, especially if you're playing a minor. I have so much fun playing this game, I often try to prolong WWII by loading up as USSR and disbanding a bunch of divisions (where I'm playing as one of the allies.) Germany then is able to retake some land, but the USSR always rebounds rather quickly.

If it was up to me, it would be a nice 50 year game. Imperial Europe to the height of the cold war:
1918 - 1968 or
1931 - 1981!
Okay, you may now flame me.

Wow, show some respect already.
The original only featured 1936 - 1945. That's 3 years you get extra in this new one ;). Don't forget this is still primarily a WW2 game.

Every additional year requires a lot of additional work for the developers, as if making a new game with all kinds of new features is not enough work to begin with.

You want more? Buy the expansions that feature more when they get released.
Don't want to buy expansions? Play mods or make your own mod.
Now stop whining ;).

Sofar I have never managed to play beyond late '44 or middle of '45, and that was with italy swearing to myself that I would rid africa of allies.
(and no, I didnt succed. got bored before I managed)

A shorter timespan hopefully makes it possible to have better events and do describe the portraid timeline in a more detailed way.

If you havent managed your objectives by 48 and are not bored to death you have probably a longer attention span than I have :p and/or obscure objectives for your campaign.

But each to his own, I find 36 - 48 just about right.

/C

FlyGuy45?! Hey man!

I'm not disappointed at, I really don't care but I am bothered by the fact the begins again at 1936.

Could we have the game start at 34 or 35? So we can represent the building up of the major powers industry and political parties? As well say introduce the Austrian Civil War that happened in 34.

We can introduce 1934-1948 for both Paradox and modifications to choose options on how many major and minor powers will develop their form of government, economy, military and view on other nations provincial claims between 34-35.

Because necessarily there is no reason why it has to start at 1936 now. The only cheap reason is Nazi Germany comes back into the Rhineland and there more powerful events going on than that in 34-35.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_24

Last edited:
Naga Niome said:
Because necessarily there is no reason why it has to start at 1936 now. The only cheap reason is Nazi Germany comes back into the Rhineland and there more powerful events going on than that in 34-35.

What about Japan's war with China?

if the game would run till first Jan 1950 it would be OK for me (Extra 2 years). But I bet paradox will release some kind of expansion some months after HOI 3, which will fix the bugs and extend the game time.

I am very happy with the time frame stated. As we have seen in the past, there will be expansions that will add time frames.

Gigalocus said:
and Spanish civil war

I'm aware of that, but than there is no problem if we were to start Hearts Of Iron 3 at 1934 right? Because in two years the civil war occurs and the Japanese invasion actually occurs in 1937... but I say again we can incorporate the Austrian Civil War, various other events and lengthen the game backwards offering more peacetime choices and gameplay.

Naga Niome said:
I'm aware of that, but than there is no problem if we were to start Hearts Of Iron 3 at 1934 right? Because in two years the civil war occurs and the Japanese invasion actually occurs in 1937... but I say again we can incorporate the Austrian Civil War, various other events and lengthen the game backwards offering more peacetime choices and gameplay.

No. No problem, Paradox isn't going to change it though, I was simply saying that stuff did happen in 1936 ...

I'm sure we would all love an earlier start, but its not going to happen :(

(Expansion maybe)

1936 is an important starting point and still sufficiently away from world war II, even for Germany. You can still greatly industrialise most countries with the exception of the really minor ones in 4 - 5 years.

Starting earlier would likely make things a lot more dull and lead to a much greater a-historical start where as in 1936 the start of WW2 is usually a lot more closer to the historical start.

Gigalocus said:
Want doesn't get.

Or it would be 1900 - 1954. :p

Still, Paradox likes to have expansions with extended timelines *Hiopes for a WWI expansion*

Well with the amount of provinces to be doled out, it will make for a very interesting static front game, with the right modification (or expansion?).

That way progress can still be made, but with the amount of provinces it will be more laborous than on larger provinces ala HoI2 and with slower infantry speeds and so on, it is possible.

I can already see the potential for a WW1 expansion.

Ayeshteni

Status
Not open for further replies.