Question about tank production, Armored Recon, and a Bunch of Light Tanks

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheMoe

Colonel
36 Badges
Mar 24, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Ancient Space
I started playing as Germany with the goal of adding Armored Recon to my standard and motorized infantry. All I had at the start of the game were light tanks, so I kept building those while bringing their armor up to 66. This plan is working well so far, considering that many of the "easier" early game enemies such as the Spanish and Chines can only do 50% damage to my troops.

Standard Infantry

Screenshot (1225).png

Light Tank with decent early game armor stats

Screenshot (1226).png

I just researched the Medium Chassis and I'd like to stop building the light tanks, since medium tanks have higher armor stats and I can use them in my tank divisions as well.

What happens if I just stop building light tanks and start building only medium tanks? Will the game know to start using the medium tanks for the Armored Recon support? I'm guessing if this is the case, then the game will attempt to replace all the older light tanks with medium tanks in the Amored Recon support companies. Sound right? Thanks!

Old build queue with light tanks only

Screenshot (1224).png

No, they wont. You can see the division needs in their template
Thank you. I went back and looked. Are you saying that only light tanks can be used for Armored Recon support companies? When I hover over the support company I see it wants 24 light tanks, though I assumed it was because those were the only tanks available.

Reactions:
Thank you. I went back and looked. Are you saying that only light tanks can be used for Armored Recon support companies? When I hover over the support company I see it wants 24 light tanks, though I assumed it was because those were the only tanks available.
Indeed

Reactions:
Very helpful, and good to know for future German playthroughs. Thanks again for the clarification. Been playing the game on and off since near launch and I find there's still so much to learn.

I think of flame tanks as the 'attack engineers', more or less.
Thank you both. That will be something I'll try a little later in the game. I'm looking forward to it though.

Yes, the flame tank bonuses has not much to do with real flame tanks. Combat engineers transported in armored halftracks comes to my mind of those bonuses.

I absolutely get it now. It's the first time the flame tank bonuses make sense to me. I've avoided using them in the past, since I always saw them as some crazy illusion a dev cooked up that was entirely ahistorical.

It's a lot easier to get into the idea when framed as "attack engineers." Good stuff. Thanks!

I absolutely get it now. It's the first time the flame tank bonuses make sense to me. I've avoided using them in the past, since I always saw them as some crazy illusion a dev cooked up that was entirely ahistorical.

It's a lot easier to get into the idea when framed as "attack engineers." Good stuff. Thanks!
Sort of like Recon.

People get all lost in the 'recon' part, and the possible change it could pick to what attack/counter is picked next...when, to me, the best thing for recon is the various movement buffs attached to it. (Armored Recon, of course, has the armor buff to the division, too, but that's already been mentioned in this thread.)

Reactions: