Question about release of a vassal

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vv142

Sergeant
18 Badges
Feb 7, 2022
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
I was hoping someone might help with a vassal release puzzle (for me at least). I am playing as France and I took a couple of provinces in Scandinavia from GB (for reconquest as Norway and Sweden). I can release Norway as a vassal, but I can’t release Sweden (even though primary culture in the province is Swedish). Nor can I return the province to Sweden, because it goes to GB. The only difference between Norway and Sweden was that GB integrated Sweden, that became junior partner, while it conquered Norway, but I don't see why that should prevent its release. I also tried revoking core on one of the Swedish provinces that I got during the war, but it didn't help either.
Is there a way to somehow release Sweden?

P.S. Savegame file attached, in case it helps

Attachments

• 1.35 France - Nordic vassals - 1534.eu4
    6,2 MB · Views: 0
I don't even have to look at the save file
I'm sure Sweden changed it's primary culture, most probably to english since it was under the PU
you can't release a country from provinces that are not of their primary culture group, in this case British

You can check it by hovering over the Sweden's core and seeing when it expires, if their primary culture changed it will expire in less than 50 years

If in that time you somehow manage to get one of their cores to be british culture you'll be able to release it, otherwise you're out of luck

Edit: yup, checked the save file and confirmed, Swedish Core expires so their primary culture changed

Last edited:
Reactions: