• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(320188)

Gloria in excelsis Deo
16 Badges
May 24, 2011
exposingsingapore.wordpress.com
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • War of the Vikings
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
I noticed the astute has a towed array sonar. Towed array sonar as far as I know operates in passive only mode.

Now the question is towed array sonar able to operate in active mode in NWAC? I have this impression since whenever I activated the towed array after deploying them the status reads ACTIVE SONAR: ACTIVE or something like that.

Do we have to turn on each sonar to operate them in passive mode? it's a bit confusing since the only active capable sonar(sends out ping) is the bow sonar while in NWAC u can activate every sonar.

Thank you.

Some of these are capable of active mode as well as passive so I assume that deploying them only is passive mode and activating them is putting them to active mode? But would be useful if a dev could confirm.

I would like to know if the sub has to remain straight, level and slow, as they do presently, and if this improves reception or not. I haven't noticed any breakages resulting from a fast speed as yet.

Some of these are capable of active mode as well as passive so I assume that deploying them only is passive mode and activating them is putting them to active mode? But would be useful if a dev could confirm.

I would like to know if the sub has to remain straight, level and slow, as they do presently, and if this improves reception or not. I haven't noticed any breakages resulting from a fast speed as yet.

I thougt so too until I noticed in the British Astute class, the towed array can't be deactivated, it is always activated and hence u can only deploy them or retract them. This must not mean they are active sonar or are they? Just weird to be understood.

Youll notice IR systems and other passives read 'active' also. All it means is that the system is operating normally (not damaged).

An extra tooltip to point out that it is in passive mode might help however.

Ah so this means only the bow sonar has active sonar just like in RL?

The flank and towed don't have active sonar whatsoever. The spherical bow is the only sonar array which is capable of sending out ping pulses.

Thanks that would make sense.

I noticed it seems whatever active is marked in blue when activated. The bow sonar when not activated works in passive when activated works in active mode marked in blue. Whatever passive when activated is not marked in blue but instead remain white.

I noticed it seems whatever active is marked in blue when activated. The bow sonar when not activated works in passive when activated works in active mode marked in blue. Whatever passive when activated is not marked in blue but instead remain white.

I think I'm wrong. Flank sonar also turns blue when activated....this is a bit confusing does submarine have active sonar at all?

Right. It is somewhat confusing feedback, I agree. Only those where you have an "active" button on the sensors actually emit anything.

Ah yeah I finally figured it out thanks. So flank arrays can now emit some sort of ping.

I have a few "in game" submarine/sonar questions.

Does the submarine dept affect the its passive sonardetection range? Is there any negative consequence to staying at maximum dept all the time? Does speed affect the passive detection range and if so what is the optimum speed?

Thanks

Does the submarine dept affect the its passive sonardetection range? Is there any negative consequence to staying at maximum dept all the time? Does speed affect the passive detection range and if so what is the optimum speed?

Ah, that depends. Let me try to be a bit more helpful. :)

Max depth for a sub is great to avoid being detected, but there is also a penalty because it will be physically further away from the potential targets. If the water is anything but evenly deep, there is an extra penalty for the sonar effect. But, yes, deep is good.

Speed affects range sonar greatly. Cruise and above means it can't hear anything except very loud targets. Towed array sonar has no effect above slow. Slow is what you want. If you need to move faster, set a point where you want to go, when you are there, slow down and listen :)

If you haven't already checked out the Sonar tutorial, it may be helpful to do so.

Speed also greatly affect how much noise you make, be it surface or sub. A large ship on full speed can be heard far away. Stop the engine, and it can't be detected on passive at all!

Thanks

in RL going deep protect the submarne from being detected. Depths have [multiple] thermal layers that reflect sound. But this also means deep submarine is going to have difficulties detecting anything too with their sonar. ;)