Question about air detection and planes involved in both sides

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GeneralisimoAR

Captain
Jan 26, 2005
Hello,

assuming I have 300 fighter on interception with a 100% air detection.
and the enemy has 900 fighters on air superiority and 100 bombers on CAS.

How many of my planes get involved and how many of their planes get involved for damage calculation ?????????

thanks.!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Assuming the enemy CAS are active (i.e. there are battles in the area they can support), all your fighters get involved for damage calculations.
You didn't say what the enemy's detection is. As an example, if their detection was 15%, 135 of their fighters would deal damage (300 * 15% * 3).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Here is what I understand
From wiki it is 3x the number of detected enemy. So all of your fighter will join, but depend on their detection. Let's say they detect 100%. So they will join 900 to shoot, then 900 enemy fighter.

But then your 300 fighter will not shoot at their 900 fighers, but shoot at a ratio of fighter: visible CAS. From wiki they detect 900 enemy fighter and "200" visible CAS. So it is about 245 shoot at enemy 245 fighter and 55 fighter shoot at 55 CAS. Their return fight will be 900 fighters.

But the wiki didn't say clearly how these 900 will join battle, or they will join in full and 3 fighter will shoot at 1 fighter?
In an old air guide before changes, the extra enemy have 40% chance to join and make an 2 vs 1 battle. And only 2 vs 1 at max, but the bonus can be bigger?

• 1Like
Reactions:
But the wiki didn't say clearly how these 900 will join battle, or they will join in full and 3 fighter will shoot at 1 fighter?
In an old air guide before changes, the extra enemy have 40% chance to join and make an 2 vs 1 battle. And only 2 vs 1 at max, but the bonus can be bigger?
Can you elaborate? To me it seems you already answered your question in the previous paragraph. Or is it related to this sentence in the wiki:
The planes of each sortieing wing are allocated against enemy wings proportional to their visibility (against all wings for damage and only against ground missions for disruption).
Each of OP's three fighter wings would send 9.1 planes against each enemy fighter wing and 18.2 against the CAS.

Reactions:
Each of OP's three fighter wings would send 9.1 planes against each enemy fighter wing and 18.2 against the CAS.
1) Can you explain where these numbers come from?
2) Does increased visibility during CAS mission mean that in practice 6x enemy planes can attack CAS instead of 3x?
3) Does Infiltration Bombing doctrine mean that in practice only 1.5 x enemy planes can attack start bombers? (also does it apply to strat bombers doing any mission or any plane on strat bombing mission)

Another question.
Lets say I have 1000 fighters on interdiction with 100% detection the enemy has 1000 fighter on airsuperiority with 10% detection and 100 CAS

I send 300 fighters and they detect 10% of my 300 or from my 1000 ?

1) Can you explain where these numbers come from?
The total visibility of the enemy wings is 9*100+1*200 = 1100. So the proportional share of a single fighter wing would be 100/1100 = 9.1%. For an attacking wing of 100 planes, that's 9.1 planes. CAS would be 200/1100 = 18.2%.
2) Does increased visibility during CAS mission mean that in practice 6x enemy planes can attack CAS instead of 3x?
Yes, exactly.
3) Does Infiltration Bombing doctrine mean that in practice only 1.5 x enemy planes can attack start bombers?
Yes, it is a super strong bonus
(also does it apply to strat bombers doing any mission or any plane on strat bombing mission)
It applies to the strat bombing mission.

Reactions:
Can you elaborate? To me it seems you already answered your question in the previous paragraph.

I means when 3 plane attack 1, is it the same for 3 to shoot simultainously ? Because in very old version, some said only the 1st have 100% chance to shoot, the 2nd figher only have 40% to shoot, but with big bonus, and the 3 cannot join, only 2vs1 max.

Another question.
Lets say I have 1000 fighters on interdiction with 100% detection the enemy has 1000 fighter on airsuperiority with 10% detection and 100 CAS

I send 300 fighters and they detect 10% of my 300 or from my 1000 ?
What do you mean by "I send 300 fighters"? Based on your description, all of your 1000 fighters get to deal damage because the enemy visibility is 1200 in total. (Up to 3600 of your planes could deal damage.)
But even assuming a scenario where only 300 of your planes get to deal damage: the enemies detection does not take that into account and is based on 1000 fighters. In other words a plane does not need to deal damage in order to become a target for damage. That's why detection is so important.

Reactions:
What do you mean by "I send 300 fighters"? Based on your description, all of your 1000 fighters get to deal damage because the enemy visibility is 1200 in total. (Up to 3600 of your planes could deal damage.)
But even assuming a scenario where only 300 of your planes get to deal damage: the enemies detection does not take that into account and is based on 1000 fighters. In other words a plane does not need to deal damage in order to become a target for damage. That's why detection is so important.
I have 1000 fighter on Interdiction therefore they will atack only the CAS, and since the enemy CAS are 100 and I have 100% detection. I will deal damage with 300 fighters.

The enemy has a detection of 10% but that 10% will be calculated agasint my total 1000 fighters on interdiction or only the 300 that toook off. ?

I means when 3 plane attack 1, is it the same for 3 to shoot simultainously ? Because in very old version, some said only the 1st have 100% chance to shoot, the 2nd figher only have 40% to shoot, but with big bonus, and the 3 cannot join, only 2vs1 max.
Ah, you mean from before patch 1.3. That system was completely replaced and things like multiple attack passes etc. don't exist anymore at all. All planes shoot simultaneously now and are equally effective until you hit the 3x limit.

Reactions:
I have 1000 fighter on Interdiction therefore they will atack only the CAS
Nope, they attack all enemy planes. There is no targeting difference between interdiction and air superiority. The major difference between the missions is interceptors not taking part in air combat unless the enemy has bombers active. But once they do take part, their targeting is no different.

Reactions:
So let's say I have 2000 fighters on air superiority and 100% detection, enemy has 100 fighters on air superiority and 100 CAS, so no more than 300+600=900 of my fighters should be able to attack, how it is decided which ones attack and which ones don't? My understanding would be that all 20 wings would actually attack, by only using 45% of planes from each wing

They attack in descending order of stats:

I think it was attack*agility or something like that
So it would work like this?

9 wings would attack splitting their planes in this way:
33.(3) planes would attack enemy 100 FTR and 66.(6) planes attack enemy 100 CAS

11 wings stay idle

Thanks, I also wonder if Logistic Strike, Naval Patrol and Recon missions have any special modifiers, use modifiers from other missions or are they modifier-free ground missions?
There are only four (functional) mission modifiers:
  • Air Superiority Mission Efficiency
  • Interception Mission Efficiency
  • Air Support Mission Efficiency ( CAS)
  • Naval Mission Efficiency (naval strike & port strike)
All other missions get no modifier for air combat.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There are only four (functional) mission modifiers:
  • Air Superiority Mission Efficiency
  • Interception Mission Efficiency
  • Air Support Mission Efficiency ( CAS)
  • Naval Mission Efficiency (naval strike & port strike)
All other missions get no modifier for air combat.
Does Naval Mission Efficiency affect air-naval or air-air combat?

Does Naval Mission Efficiency affect air-naval or air-air combat?
Both:
https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Air_missions said:
1680278093044.png

Reactions: