Provide the option to keep prisoners in the specified area by regime

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

crownjuuls

Private
29 Badges
Oct 11, 2022
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Previously, prisoners were able to be restricted to the canteen via the Eat regime. Now the Eat regime provides them with freetime when they finish eating. This also happens with the yard and shower regimes.

While I like the idea of eat/freetime and eat/lockup, can we also keep the previous functionality in the standard eat regime? The new regimes break my old prisons and are design limiting.

I'm stuck playing the 2018 version and can't enjoy new features because of this issue.

• 6Like
Reactions:
just found out today that this weird behavior is a "feature" now. It really sucks :( I want to be able to tell the prisoners where they have to be at some certain time.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Adding my support to this suggestion. While I appreciate the potential uses of prisoners being able to leave canteen/yard when they are done there, it does not suit all play styles to be forced into that.

It is useful to include the option to make prisoners stay in these areas to make better use of guard resources. I can easily guard all my prisoner's in the canteen, but if some are in the canteen and the rest are milling around my prison going to cells or freetime... It stretches my guard resources way harder to account for that

• 2Like
Reactions:
I absolutely hate the way the yard/shower/eat regimes work now as well. Allowing prisoners to roam free with no ability to control their movement makes absolutely no sense in a game that is literally about controlling violent prisoners. I won't be playing again until this is fixed.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Previously, prisoners were able to be restricted to the canteen via the Eat regime. Now the Eat regime provides them with freetime when they finish eating. This also happens with the yard and shower regimes.

While I like the idea of eat/freetime and eat/lockup, can we also keep the previous functionality in the standard eat regime? The new regimes break my old prisons and are design limiting.

I'm stuck playing the 2018 version and can't enjoy new features because of this issue.
I think restricting prisoners to the canteen is bad, they can’t fulfill needs

Reactions:
I think that it is okay for them to roam considering that they are only able to roam because they’re not in solitary for doing something bad. Also if you lock them up they will riot for many reasons because they can’t fulfill their needs. But if you want to set schedule to eat/lockup

Reactions:
I think restricting prisoners to the canteen is bad, they can’t fulfill needs
You know you can (or used to be able to) include things like toilets, showers, pool tables, etc in your canteen and they would use them during the time they were locked in the room? You could also have armed guards and dogs suppress and sniff everyone. You know...like in a prison? Instead of whatever this is now. Test it for yourself in the 2018 version.

As it stands, this is just a baffling design decision and basically removes the option to purchase the DLC unless you want to play daycare simulator I guess?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think that it is okay for them to roam considering that they are only able to roam because they’re not in solitary for doing something bad. Also if you lock them up they will riot for many reasons because they can’t fulfill their needs. But if you want to set schedule to eat/lockup
Eat/lockup doesn't achieve the previous functionality. My old prison designs allowed them to meet needs more efficiently than this current model, as the travel time wasn't there. Room specific and extra furniture within the regime area allowed them to meet their needs. I have 1100 hours in this game and bought the DLC and now the game completely changed out from under me, so it's very frustrating. It's like paying for Pac Man and getting pong. Like yes, there's still a dot on the screen but the mechanics just aren't the same as the game I bought and loved for so long.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I absolutely hate the way the yard/shower/eat regimes work now as well. Allowing prisoners to roam free with no ability to control their movement makes absolutely no sense in a game that is literally about controlling violent prisoners. I won't be playing again until this is fixed.
1: keeping prisoners in a room that doesn’t have the needs they need to fulfill will make them unhappy
2: if you want to control this you can use lockup variants
3: spending an hour of regime in a shower is not efficient, I would recommend putting showers in cells, you get the cell bonus and can place it on the toilet if you want to save space, and the drain still fits
4: door control system. Air lock with pressure plates to open if the prisoner is late, but only to get in, not out. Use door timers to open up when you want
5: play older versions of this is that much of an issue
6: Your prisoners can’t fulfill other needs during eat, shower, or yard time, they may riot a small bit more.
7: if your prison system can not run without prisoners staying in one place at a time, change your system.
8: how can this feature ruin a prison

Then just put it to eat/lockup
You're not familiar with how it worked before apparently, so I'm not sure why I continue to reply to you and why you continuously tell people that want this that we're wrong, but I'll try once more.

Let's say you want to lay your prison out as follows:
Cell blocks - canteen, yard, then a secure area with workshops and prison labor type buildings

Let's say you have a regime that's something like this
6am - eat
7am - eat

Your prisoners wake up, go from lockup/sleep to the eat regime. In your canteen, you feed your prisoners, you put toilets on the edge, showers on the edge, sinks on the edge (cooks will wash dishes in the canteen instead of taking them all the way back to the kitchen). They have two hours to prepare before work. You have dogs sniff them, metal detectors at the canteen entrances (which prevents contraband from making it to cell blocks)

8am-11am - work/lockup

Your prisoners work and get a little hangry by 12pm but generally they're okay. They go to the secure area, get to work, do their things, then go back through metal detectors and dogs in the canteen for lunch

12pm - eat
1pm - eat

They go back from the workshops and laundry to the canteens. They don't need to go back to the cells. Why should they have to do that? Additionally, why should they have to be allowed free time so that staff can't be deployed to the more busy places of the prison.

I've tried to explain this the best I could for why you might want the old functionality. Better yet you could install the 2018 version and try it for yourself.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Eat/lockup doesn't achieve the previous functionality. My old prison designs allowed them to meet needs more efficiently than this current model, as the travel time wasn't there. Room specific and extra furniture within the regime area allowed them to meet their needs. I have 1100 hours in this game and bought the DLC and now the game completely changed out from under me, so it's very frustrating. It's like paying for Pac Man and getting pong. Like yes, there's still a dot on the screen but the mechanics just aren't the same as the game I bought and loved for so long.
The analogy is a bit extreme, I don’t think the core idea of the game has been taken away. Also, during free time after the need is taken care of they go to what need they want fulfilled, wouldn’t this increase efficiency; if you structure your regime right then they would, in theory, be going to the right room anyways, they go to the need they want most which would be the next regime time if you made it smartly, this would reduce travel time, right?

The analogy is a bit extreme, I don’t think the core idea of the game has been taken away. Also, during free time after the need is taken care of they go to what need they want fulfilled, wouldn’t this increase efficiency; if you structure your regime right then they would, in theory, be going to the right room anyways, they go to the need they want most which would be the next regime time if you made it smartly, this would reduce travel time, right?
It doesn't increase efficiency because now you have to move your guards or dogs to your yard, your canteen, your common room, etc. versus if they're all in one place you can monitor/suppress them there. Anyone not where they're supposed to be gets a guard response. Again, try the 2018 version before you talk about things you don't understand.

Also the analogy is not extreme because they shifted the core game mechanics AFTER I gave them $29.99 when it was owned by introversion. If I'm unsatisfied with those mechanics as a paid/paying customer, I now have no recourse except to complain on the forums to people who don't seem to even understand what the issue is.

• 3Like
Reactions:
1: keeping prisoners in a room that doesn’t have the needs they need to fulfill will make them unhappy
2: if you want to control this you can use lockup variants
3: spending an hour of regime in a shower is not efficient, I would recommend putting showers in cells, you get the cell bonus and can place it on the toilet if you want to save space, and the drain still fits
4: door control system. Air lock with pressure plates to open if the prisoner is late, but only to get in, not out. Use door timers to open up when you want
5: play older versions of this is that much of an issue
6: Your prisoners can’t fulfill other needs during eat, shower, or yard time, they may riot a small bit more.
7: if your prison system can not run without prisoners staying in one place at a time, change your system.
8: how can this feature ruin a prison
1. you can add that stuff to the room they're locked in
2. I don't want them to go back to the cell block on the other side of the prison
3. don't use the shower regime, shower in canteens
4. doesn't work, they crowd the door and get violent and it goes wrong. additionally it blocks staff from responding to issues
5. yes, because to use DLC I bought and paid for before this change went in, it requires this new regime design
6. again, they used to be able to
7. no
8. existing designs are completely broken

• 2Like
Reactions:
You're not familiar with how it worked before apparently, so I'm not sure why I continue to reply to you and why you continuously tell people that want this that we're wrong, but I'll try once more.

Cell blocks - canteen, yard, then a secure area with workshops and prison labor type buildings

6am - eat
7am - eat

Your prisoners wake up, go from lockup/sleep to the eat regime. In your canteen, you feed your prisoners, you put toilets on the edge, showers on the edge, sinks on the edge (cooks will wash dishes in the canteen instead of taking them all the way back to the kitchen). They have two hours to prepare before work. You have dogs sniff them, metal detectors at the canteen entrances (which prevents contraband from making it to cell blocks)

8am-11am - work/lockup

Your prisoners work and get a little hangry by 12pm but generally they're okay. They go to the secure area, get to work, do their things, then go back through metal detectors and dogs in the canteen for lunch

12pm - eat
1pm - eat

They go back from the workshops and laundry to the canteens. They don't need to go back to the cells. Why should they have to do that? Additionally, why should they have to be allowed free time so that staff can't be deployed to the more busy places of the prison.

I've tried to explain this the best I could for why you might want the old functionality. Better yet you could install the 2018 version and try it for yourself.
I can give you a way to mimic this, now that I know you use steam. You need the following setup in a hallway to the room

Entrance; Pressure plate 1; door1; pressure plate 2; door 2; pressure plate 3; room

Set door 1 to open and door 2 to closed, or use a door timer to set it to this during the time you want them in the one room. If pressure plate 2 is active, open door 1 and close door 2. If pressure plate 3 is active, close door 2 even if plate 2 is active. If pressure plate 1 is active, open door 1 and close door 2.

this would make it so the prisoners are trapped in the room but new ones can come in, which would mimic this.

Also I am aware that you can use objects for needs other than the expected ones, my canteens have a corner with books, arcade cabinets, toilets, showers, phones, pool tables, easels, paintings, and gym mats, as so some other rooms. I do definitely agree that you fo need to spread out guards, but I play console and I didn’t get deployment scheduler until this newest update (jailhouse) so my guards were already spread out.

Hope this helps.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I can give you a way to mimic this, now that I know you use steam. You need the following setup in a hallway to the room

Entrance; Pressure plate 1; door1; pressure plate 2; door 2; pressure plate 3; room

Set door 1 to open and door 2 to closed, or use a door timer to set it to this during the time you want them in the one room. If pressure plate 2 is active, open door 1 and close door 2. If pressure plate 3 is active, close door 2 even if plate 2 is active. If pressure plate 1 is active, open door 1 and close door 2.

this would make it so the prisoners are trapped in the room but new ones can come in, which would mimic this.

Also I am aware that you can use objects for needs other than the expected ones, my canteens have a corner with books, arcade cabinets, toilets, showers, phones, pool tables, easels, paintings, and gym mats, as so some other rooms. I do definitely agree that you fo need to spread out guards, but I play console and I didn’t get deployment scheduler until this newest update (jailhouse) so my guards were already spread out.

Hope this helps.
I don't even play anymore since the change went in. It's not the same game I paid for and not worth spending hours building something for it not to work how I expect it to. So I can appreciate you trying to help, but there's a reason this is the most upvoted suggestion on the forum. Good luck with your design on consoles. I have 1065 hours in this game on PC of working prisons and I'm just not really wanting to play with these new mechanics until this is "fixed". I'm more upset that I spent money on DLC that I can't use. It's disappointing.

• 3Like
Reactions:

6am - eat
7am - eat

8am-11am - work/lockup

12pm - eat
1pm - eat

Hope this helps

Instead of changing current regimes, add a _ only that would mimic the 2018 version