• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rgranja13

Corporal
2 Badges
Jul 27, 2020
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
So, my game just won't load.
I start the launcher and then I select "continue" and it starts loading but then it just stops when it reaches the middle of the bar. I bought the game and the DLC rapid transit on steam. I have uninstalled and then downloaded the game again and nothing, disabled all the mods and nothing. I am thinking about asking for a refund. Do you know what happened?

Upvote 0
I updated Cities Skylines and I am getting a "Paradox Launcher v2 Setup Wizard has ended prematurely beause of an error" message. It never says what the error is. To play the game, it has to run the Setup Wizard, which ends with an error. So, basically, I'm stuck. It wasn't doing this before. :(

I updated Cities Skylines and I am getting a "Paradox Launcher v2 Setup Wizard has ended prematurely beause of an error" message. It never says what the error is. To play the game, it has to run the Setup Wizard, which ends with an error. So, basically, I'm stuck. It wasn't doing this before. :(
Best in future to start your own thread, thanks.

Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Best in future to start your own thread, thanks.

Please try this:
Andrew,

Apologizes on the goofed thread. I did, however, search for what you suggested. I didn't have Paradox Launcher v2 installed. Those three files couldn't be found (even with hidden files on).

The "run the game from the PLAY button in Steam" is actually what I am doing. That's where it's running (or trying to run) the Paradox Launcher v2.

I can't give you any logs from the "Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2" folders because, essentially, they don't exist on my computer. :(

I did install the Paradox Launcher (no "v2" in the name from the Paradox website) and still ended with the same result. An "error" of indeterminate source that has basically fragged everything at the moment.

1601054984422.png

It's right here. It's in Portuguese, but I'll translate "Launching option - Cities:Skylines /The following options are meant to advanced users"

I'll attach outputlog again.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    376,3 KB · Views: 0
Andrew,

Apologizes on the goofed thread. I did, however, search for what you suggested. I didn't have Paradox Launcher v2 installed. Those three files couldn't be found (even with hidden files on).

I can't give you any logs from the "Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2" folders because, essentially, they don't exist on my computer. :(
Really there must be some files there, and almost certainly a least the launcher-dowser.log

You found the AppData folder okay? Then Local?
The "run the game from the PLAY button in Steam" is actually what I am doing. That's where it's running (or trying to run) the Paradox Launcher v2.
I know, but the key point is that steam.exe must be running as the Windows Admin user.

View attachment 631626
It's right here. It's in Portuguese, but I'll translate "Launching option - Cities:Skylines /The following options are meant to advanced users"

I'll attach outputlog again.
Still not working. I do not know what could cause that, I think I've seen it like once before in 10 years doing this.

All I can think of is to try a clean reinstall of Steam and game:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- exit the Steam app entirely
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\
...\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\255710\
...\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines
(first move the /saves/ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)
(To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer)

- delete everything in the Steam folder EXCEPT steam.exe and the SteamApps folder
- run steam.exe to rebuild all that
- set those 3 launch options again
- Install the game again and see if it runs now.

There is no steam.exe but a steam.exe.old, is that it? I read somewhere, that the .old wasn't supposed to be there.
If Steam runs there must be a steam.exe !

It may display as just Steam if you have file extensions hidden in Windows Explorer.

Really there must be some files there, and almost certainly a least the launcher-dowser.log

Holy crap, something I can actually show you! :D Wow, I almost thought I was going to say "that isn't there either", but nope, pulled through at the last second.

Enjoy! It's basically a bunch of stuff failing....repeatedly.

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    6,6 KB · Views: 0
Holy crap, something I can actually show you! :D Wow, I almost thought I was going to say "that isn't there either", but nope, pulled through at the last second.

Enjoy! It's basically a bunch of stuff failing....repeatedly.
That log goes back to May so I'm afraid you can't have deleted the folders I listed in post #3 above. Please go through that again, carefully!

That log goes back to May so I'm afraid you can't have deleted the folders I listed in post #3 above. Please go through that again, carefully!

I let File Manager do the search, there wasn't anything found.

I have a couple errands to run early in the morning (11:28p as I'm typing this, gotta be up at 9a), so I will check again when I get home.

My wife had a very similar issue on her Mac, where the loading got stuck in the middle.

We disabled the mods and still wouldn't load. My saves worked fine on my PC. She could create a new game. Testing a theory, I had her load an older save and that worked. I would suspect a corrupted save file?

Have you tried loading a different save point or the same one in all of the above cases?

My wife had a very similar issue on her Mac, where the loading got stuck in the middle.

We disabled the mods and still wouldn't load. My saves worked fine on my PC. She could create a new game. Testing a theory, I had her load an older save and that worked. I would suspect a corrupted save file?

Have you tried loading a different save point or the same one in all of the above cases?
I have started a new game like 2 dauys ago and it was loading. Not today though. :(
I've tried other saves butI can try again.