Price Per Usable Ton (or, "how to build cheap laser boats")

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When it comes to a lower cost laser boat, I would think the Hunchback 4P would be hard to beat. It may not be the cheapest on that list, but it is a Medium mech with most likely 8 energy hardpoints and one support hardpoint in the head. That is 8 MLasers and 1 SLaser.

The 4P (like it's 4G brother) is a bit vulnerable with it's firepower being concentrated in it's RH torso. If that torso pops, it will take out 7 of the 8 MLasers, so make sure to try and position that LH Torso towards the enemy more times than not :).
Unfortunately we really have no assurance of where the hardpoints will end up at this point. After all, we saw them add a whopping 3 energy hardpoints to the Vindicator in the promotional screenshot.

Man, the Urbanmech really has the most usable tonnage by % of any mech. And some mechs really just can't use max armor at all.

Then Awesomes and Highlanders followed by Atlas and King Crab.

That's what happens when you don't put an engine in a unit.

What, battlemechs require engines? I thought they were pedal powered? :p

Unfortunately we really have no assurance of where the hardpoints will end up at this point. After all, we saw them add a whopping 3 energy hardpoints to the Vindicator in the promotional screenshot.

I don't think we will have an assurance until the game launches :). I think for speculation sake though, the HunchBack 4P is the safe bet though for known hardpoints. At least we know it has 8 Energy and 1 Support from the Beta, and I can't see that reducing. Besides, I think the selling point of a Hunchback 4P was it's energy hardpoints specifically.

Now, of course hardpoint inflation could be higher for some mechs (maybe even the 4P), but I think with what little we know, and what we can speculate about, the Hunchback 4P is probably still a pretty safe bet for the great bang vs buck Medium mech energy boat (at least for speculation sake).

With the 4P, I think they will add a missile hardpoint and a support point to it.

I don't think they will add a ballistic hardpoint as that would invalidate the variant identity.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask here (could not find the answer), since the Urban keeps coming up. Does the game model the swiveling nature of it, can you fire the weapons mounted on the swivel in any direction, without changing mech facing?

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask here (could not find the answer), since the Urban keeps coming up. Does the game model the swiveling nature of it, can you fire the weapons mounted on the swivel in any direction, without changing mech facing?
No. Torso twisting is abstracted into post-move facing.

I've never been a big highlander fan but i might need to look into it now.

By request:

This is based on beta numbers so it may change. But if you just want to design a cheap laser boat (or missile boat / gun boat), and you don't mind small engines / slow movement, this chart will help you get the most usable tons for cheap, to load up with weapons of your choice (hardpoints permitting, not that we know what the hardpoints will end up looking like yet).

"Usable Tons" means the sum of all armor, weapons, heat sinks, jump jets, or other equipment you can add to a 'Mech. This is how much is left after accounting for the weight of stuff you can't remove including the engines, gyro, cockpit, and internal structure. So you wont find a lot of big-engine, speedy 'Mechs at the top of this list. This does, however, reinforce what everyone already knows even if they won't admit it: that Urbies are #1 and nothing else comes close.
ekDKTIH.png

Enforcer, Blackjack in the top 5... and Centurion in the top 10....

Thaat Davion medium faceroll, amiright?