• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6561)

History Professor
Nov 27, 2001
Visit site
Is the PopMaker utility compatible with Revolutions? Or are there changes that have rendered it obsolete?

Also, at the risk of sounding like a dullard, is there some sort of trick to using this utility? When I double click on it a window briefly flashes on screen and disappears, but the only thing concrete that happens is that the program seemed to create an example file. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Not familiar with the utility, but there were no changes made to the structure of the POP files between 1.04 and Revolutions, so it should work fine.

I find it much easier though to just open the files with notepad, make the changes, and save. The file will still save in .csv format even when opened in notepad.

I did try the Popmaker once upon a time, but did not really like it. Manually editing the files works better, assuming you have a good text editor (I don't like Notepad - personal preference).

But then, I don't do a whole lot of pop editing these days either. ;)

OHgamer said:
Not familiar with the utility, but there were no changes made to the structure of the POP files between 1.04 and Revolutions, so it should work fine.

I find it much easier though to just open the files with notepad, make the changes, and save. The file will still save in .csv format even when opened in notepad.

I figured that that was probably the case, but I wanted to be sure before modding any files; I don't feel like having to reinstall Vicky/Rev. Thank you!

RELee said:
I did try the Popmaker once upon a time, but did not really like it. Manually editing the files works better, assuming you have a good text editor (I don't like Notepad - personal preference).

But then, I don't do a whole lot of pop editing these days either. ;)

Thank you for your reply as well! I haven't yet gotten it to load correctly, so I can't speak with any intelligence. The PopMod utility seems neat, although I'm having a bit of trouble with that as well--I think with how it recognizes file paths--so perhaps a regular editor, or even notepad, will be my best bet.

I haven't done any pop editing in ages myself. I was really turned off by the attitude of the folks doing the pop work here a couple years ago, but I recently purchased Revolutions and I've considered implementing some of my ideas on my own. We'll see....

Thanks again!!

BTW, just for the public record, I figured out what I was doing wrong. It turns out that POP Maker isn't so much a program that you input information into to create .csv docs as it is a .txt to .csv converter. So all you have to do is put a properly formatted .txt file into the same directory as POP Maker, run POPMaker, and in a second you get properly formatted .csv files to add or replace your POP files.

If anyone wants more information I can either explain in more detail or do a screen capture of the process.

I'm sure that this is old news to most of you, but seeing as I hadn't gotten any replies about how to use POP Maker, I though this might be worth revisiting.

All the best!