Please stop with double digits precision in the UI when unnecessary

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cnwi

Colonel
57 Badges
Sep 19, 2018
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
nb: I made a similar post for HOI4 some time ago discussing with @ckount
@Valmartins

It is unnecessary to use too many significant digits in the interface when that doesn't provide any meaningful information to the player. It clutters the interface and makes PDX games less accessible.

Here are 2 examples, but this is rampant in the interface. See that the percentage of pops by culture in the province is broken down to the second decimal, indicating a change of 0.01% is meaningful. When does 0.01% represent 1 pop? When there are 10'000 pops in the province! Is that a realistic case? Clearly the amount of significant digits can be reduced.
CwIp5nP.jpg

Second example; see how the change in a single tick (3.33%) is 2 orders of magnitude above the precision of the value (0.01%)
4ADxi43.jpg

c04mmCi.jpg

edit: Loyalty example: making every modifier 2 decimals for the very few (I only found power base) that use decimals is unecessary; remove all decimals, they're not important to decision making.
T7ZM6tQ.jpg

Finally, see my other post about Imperator's UI: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...l-example-of-a-poorly-thought-out-ui.1371111/

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
The OP has my support. It may not be a super-ultra-pressing issue, but the general rule should be to provide as many digits as required to make an informed decision and not more.

Looks a lot better with consistency so leave those 2 digits everywhere, at least it says clearly there is no 0.05 anywhere.
If you have problems with too many zeros, you may need to do something about that. This request is absolutely... *********.

OP has my support as well! I'm also reasoning with the same as Herennius "The general rule should be to provide as many digits as required to make an informed decision and not more."
PDX tries to push way too many things into the tooltip in general. Imperator has one of the worst tooltips. It is way to many numbers everywhere, tooltip is much bigger than it needs to and everything is just "meh" together with the UI/UX that does not show all what it needs to show.
What I'm not too sure about is if they will ever adress this issue and change it.

OP does not have my support. There are places where 2 decimal places are required, and it would look janky to have 2 decimal places there but nowhere else. I prefer the current system to OPs proposal.

Sorry, but the iron-rule of consistency to have everywhere exactly two digits is neither sufficient IMHO: There are cases where a 3rd digit would be needed - for example things like stability, legitimacy or small incomes, where sometimes modifiers are displayed as 0,00 or -0,00:

FreemanIncome0.00.jpg

Thats why my ideal UI would have everywhere just the exactness you need.

OP does not have my support. There are places where 2 decimal places are required, and it would look janky to have 2 decimal places there but nowhere else. I prefer the current system to OPs proposal.
Looks a lot better with consistency so leave those 2 digits everywhere

But... the amount of decimals is already inconsistent in the UI, it's not like it is standardized to 2 decimals.

But... the amount of decimals is already inconsistent in the UI, it's not like it is standardized to 2 decimals.

Correct:

Treasury, ME and PI are displayed as integer numbers. But all three are calculated with the usual two digits. However, only the tooltip for the Treasury shows the exact stash; for PI and ME the tooltip lacks this info.

If you go to the character screen, the powerbase is displayed with 1 digit - calculated it is with two digits, as you see in the tooltip. On the Government menu, powerbase is displayed without any digits.

I even stumbled across a value with 3 digits behind the ".":

3digitvalue.jpg

Last edited:
As a statistician, I agree.
It's not always necessary to be that precise. You want to reduce information overload, where possible.
A solution would be to only show the extra decimals in tooltips - for those who absolutely need those extra digits. But most cases in this game are actionable with only the whole number (rounded up or down).

SOOOO many issues in Paradox games like this would be solved had we as players been able to go to OPTIONS -> UI SETTINGS -> TOGGLE DECIMALS.

We dont always have to agree on all the details, just let people choose themselves.

SOOOO many issues in Paradox games like this would be solved had we as players been able to go to OPTIONS -> UI SETTINGS -> TOGGLE DECIMALS.

We dont always have to agree on all the details, just let people choose themselves.
This is another thing that CK2 did very well. A HUGE amount of options before the start of the game. Customize to your hearts content. Instead of people complaining about epidemics, they can just turn them off, or a few other variants to choose from.

Loyalty should also be indicated with no decimals, there are very few modifiers for loyalty that use decimals (only found the power base), and knowing the decimals is not useful anyways.
T7ZM6tQ.jpg

then counter request: standardise to two decimals everywhere there is fewer or greater than 2 :p