• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"7. What mods do you use?" could use a small improvement. Right now for some reason you're restricted to only being allowed to pick up to 5 options.
Not sure if this is an oversight or if I'm supposed to pick my most used mods only out of those if I play a lot more.
I'm kinda surprised they didn't mention any Vic2/3-HOI4 converters in that.

Reactions:
Just filled mine out.

I had kinda thought there might be a final question about anything else we wish to tell you. One thing I wish I had added to my survey is just to re-iterate my request for better support of big fonts. As someone who's loved HoI since Doomsday, the game design keeps getting better but my eyes don't.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This survey was a waste of my time. I am not sure what statistical data you can glean from this survey. If you would hire a research company you might find out some very interesting issues you could address. This survey doesn't probe enough to get to issues users are having with your product.
I have done some academic work with surveys. There are so many ways to surveys and different questions give surprisingly different information. Large surveys often just bore people and you begin to get rather dull answers. Here for example I very much appriciate how this survey is made. Few key questions about player experince with free text field. This allows some freedom for answers and yet questions are questions are formed that way you can give them simple answers. Questions with scale options gives you different data and can cover large subjects in short time, but answers you get are often not that diverse. Ofc it works on different things but not for everything. I found those answers often to be more vague data but it is good way to create basis.

Hiring reseach company can be option but those are also often more expensive solution since even they seek to make profit. Having money doesn not mean you want to spend it without care. Often it is much better option to have own personnel executing surveys. This way you also can direct it yourself what you actually want and not having wide survey operations for data you might not use after a year.

The question about preferred nation played: I was expecting that PDX gets statistical data already from Playthrough overview. After all, it's all in the cloud, like medals & career.
Collected statistics tell you what is but not why it is. You can compare it with how science works. It might sound foolish but let's use some very simple example. There is claim that humans often live in the houses. You might think yeah well duh... But science does not work like that. You need to have research to prove that claim is valid which comes with method data collection. You then can use this result to apply it on different and possibly more complex research. You can also present it when somebody claims humans today often live in the caves. This may not seem to be connected with survey.

We know people like to play Germany. It might feel obvious to tell why but it is better hear it from players. There likely is also some opinions that are different from common points. Since people can in this survey rather freely there what they enjoy, it gives nice information which parts are working and why. So people like to play Germany but what and why they don't like to play? Could people tell that without guessing? Let's imagine for moment this survey would give answer that some people really dislike playing historical Jugoslavia feeling that there is very little they can do. Some could tell that they dislike Spanish because of the civil war and some mention they do not like Mongolia because of its location. There you already have different information. If we keep it simplified we could tell with this that people don't like to play nations that have limited location, limited options to play and possibly have mechanics that they feel are not fun to deal with.

Reactions:
This survey was a waste of my time. I am not sure what statistical data you can glean from this survey. If you would hire a research company you might find out some very interesting issues you could address. This survey doesn't probe enough to get to issues users are having with your product.
Respectfully, I don’t know how you can judge the effectiveness of the survey when you don’t know the devs’ goals for the survey. You seem to be projecting your own goals, but you, presumably, are not a dev (for this game).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have done some academic work with surveys. There are so many ways to surveys and different questions give surprisingly different information. Large surveys often just bore people and you begin to get rather dull answers. Here for example I very much appriciate how this survey is made. Few key questions about player experince with free text field. This allows some freedom for answers and yet questions are questions are formed that way you can give them simple answers. Questions with scale options gives you different data and can cover large subjects in short time, but answers you get are often not that diverse. Ofc it works on different things but not for everything. I found those answers often to be more vague data but it is good way to create basis.

Hiring reseach company can be option but those are also often more expensive solution since even they seek to make profit. Having money doesn not mean you want to spend it without care. Often it is much better option to have own personnel executing surveys. This way you also can direct it yourself what you actually want and not having wide survey operations for data you might not use after a year.

Collected statistics tell you what is but not why it is. You can compare it with how science works. It might sound foolish but let's use some very simple example. There is claim that humans often live in the houses. You might think yeah well duh... But science does not work like that. You need to have research to prove that claim is valid which comes with method data collection. You then can use this result to apply it on different and possibly more complex research. You can also present it when somebody claims humans today often live in the caves. This may not seem to be connected with survey.

We know people like to play Germany. It might feel obvious to tell why but it is better hear it from players. There likely is also some opinions that are different from common points. Since people can in this survey rather freely there what they enjoy, it gives nice information which parts are working and why. So people like to play Germany but what and why they don't like to play? Could people tell that without guessing? Let's imagine for moment this survey would give answer that some people really dislike playing historical Jugoslavia feeling that there is very little they can do. Some could tell that they dislike Spanish because of the civil war and some mention they do not like Mongolia because of its location. There you already have different information. If we keep it simplified we could tell with this that people don't like to play nations that have limited location, limited options to play and possibly have mechanics that they feel are not fun to deal with.
High-quality post :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well I filled it out. I doubt my answers will help you too much. I'm not a good player of HOI.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well I filled it out. I doubt my answers will help you too much. I'm not a good player of HOI.
No worries. Your input probably is valuable because often it matters with games why "all-food" gamers enjoy playing them. This can be then replicated for more complex desing so game remains fun even when it challenges players. For surveys it is better have much different people voiced than have few dedicated answers.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had kinda thought there might be a final question about anything else we wish to tell you. One thing I wish I had added to my survey is just to re-iterate my request for better support of big fonts. As someone who's loved HoI since Doomsday, the game design keeps getting better but my eyes don't.
Also, if you haven't added it already, please consider adding colorblind support.

Let's imagine for moment this survey would give answer that some people really dislike playing historical Jugoslavia feeling that there is very little they can do.
I found their question strange. When thinking about all countries on the map (perhaps even releasables), there is a wide floor of countries that I dislike equally for having next to nothing going for them (sorry Tibet and Haiti enjoyers). They were probably trying to ask something different like countries one was disappointed with, or ones not played for ideological reasons etc.
So people like to play Germany but what and why they don't like to play? Could people tell that without guessing?
On the other hand there are a lot of subtle reasons for Germany's popularity that likely won't show up much in such a survey. It is the center, pre-selected country during game setup. For many (most?) countries the start and end date does not make as much sense. Etc.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I do wonder what they'll get from the survey that they aren't getting from forum chat . . .

Reactions:
I do wonder what they'll get from the survey that they aren't getting from forum chat . . .
I think it's important to keep in mind that the survey was also promoted on places other than the forum. While forum feedback is of course helpful, relying on it or any other place as your main or sole source of player information is generally not a good idea.

Reactions: