• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can't you select it from the launcher?

I seem to remember if the drivers on a person's card is messed up, depending on how the game detects graphic resolutions, it might not offer the correct screen resolution (from some weird tech support thread on Sins of a Solar Empire), but I don't know if this would apply here. A workaround would be to use windowed mode (make sure to be in 16-bit!)

No, except in windowed mode. If the launcher doesn't run for some reason, you have to edit settings.cfg file manually and then run the game using Darkest Hour.exe

The minimum required resolution for the game is 1024 x 768 pixels.

I use 800x600 quite often for bugtesting (in case it hardlocks and freezes so I won't have to restart the computer), should consider reducing the minimum. 800x600 works fine.

I use 800x600 quite often for bugtesting (in case it hardlocks and freezes so I won't have to restart the computer), should consider reducing the minimum. 800x600 works fine.

There are many UI objects with hard-coded positions (or with 1024 x 768 size) so reducing the minimum is not an option without a major rework of the UI (quite a big and very boring from developer point of view task that I have no plans to do)

I always play at 1280 X 800 which is the 16:10 ratio of my 24 inch monitor -- although I could go up to 1800 if desired. Is there some special reason for exactly 1280 X 768?

I always play at 1280 X 800 which is the 16:10 ratio of my 24 inch monitor -- although I could go up to 1800 if desired. Is there some special reason for exactly 1280 X 768?

Not 1280x768 but 1024x768. :)

No reason at all, except for the fact that the game was designed to be played only on that resolution since HoI 1. In Darkest Hour you can play on bigger resolutions too as we implemented support for those.

Not 1280x768 but 1024x768. :)

No reason at all, except for the fact that the game was designed to be played only on that resolution since HoI 1. In Darkest Hour you can play on bigger resolutions too as we implemented support for those.

I am sorry if I do not understand but the original question concerned 1280 x 720 -- was it not? My response was to suggest that 1280 x 800 works fine and is consistent with the newer monitors which are 16:10 ratio whereas 1280 x 720 is 1.778:1 which is less standard -- or perhaps not even in existance. Using 1024 : 768 which is the old 4:3 ratio makes the game look out of perspective on a 16:10 monitor and if used on a 16:10 monitor makes everything look distorted. It is my impression that one should always use the proper ratio of the monitor to avoid distortions.

Sorry if I misunderstand.