• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JJOtterBear

Recruit
Dec 27, 2018
since the other AOW's were available on mac and given a lot of Paradox games are available for mac, I'm just wondering if Planetfall will be the exception or if it will be available on mac in the future?

The odds of them recompiling the old AOW games for 32-bit are slim.

They'd also have to redo the entire rendering pipeline because there's a good 99% chance OpenGL will die in the next 1-2 versions of MacOS.

If you didn't already lose all your game son Mac with Catalina, you're going to lose the rest once Apple kills OpenGL

Apple are dropping OpenGL? That seems like a questionable decision.
I'm glad I'm not an Apple user. Sorry to Apple users that get stuffed by this. :(

OpenGL has been 'deprecated' for years. Hell its only running garbage 4.1 version which barely works as it is.

Now that 64-bit has killed most Mac users libraries, I expect them to kill the rest of it by killing OpenGL entirely within 1-2 revisions.

"We want more people to play games on mac."

"As long as it is our games."

Its sort of dumb from the perspective of, sure you want people to use Metal, that's fine, ok make your own graphical API, whatever, that's fine, its dumb, but sure ok you do you Apple. But OpenGL is open source, free, and not like supporting OpenGL is like some kind of giant lift. AMD has open source drivers already so like 90% of the work is done for you. Why deprecate OpenGL other than via spite.

Like people are basically fidnign out in 2019, that probably a good 70-80% of their games have stopped working

No offense to anyone, but from several years, if not one-two decades i have understand that to play pc games you need to have any other thing than isn't a Mac. Apple have made some products that can be good but they are always their products, things that run apple products and nothing else. Sorry if i need need the one who tells this to Mac users but if you want to play games get a pc with windows, and if you can't i am really sorry for you :(

No offense to anyone, but from several years, if not one-two decades i have understand that to play pc games you need to have any other thing than isn't a Mac. Apple have made some products that can be good but they are always their products, things that run apple products and nothing else. Sorry if i need need the one who tells this to Mac users but if you want to play games get a pc with windows, and if you can't i am really sorry for you :(
I mean most mac users can bascially bootcamp their systems

I mean most mac users can bascially bootcamp their systems
Yes they can. They can buy a mac and then use windows on it...
Or thinking things better why not going with a normal computer with a normal windows os from the beginning?

I was still a kid learning the very basics for pc back then in the nineteens when i have already learn that to play games you need a non-apple machine. They can make good things but Apple doesn't distinguish itself for gamer computers. Many games can have a MAC port but being realistic you need windows and a good computer to play games. Apple machines isn't for that, and no offense i don't even know why someone would even buy anything apple at all :confused:

Yes they can. They can buy a mac and then use windows on it...
Or thinking things better why not going with a normal computer with a normal windows os from the beginning?

I was still a kid learning the very basics for pc back then in the nineteens when i have already learn that to play games you need a non-apple machine. They can make good things but Apple doesn't distinguish itself for gamer computers. Many games can have a MAC port but being realistic you need windows and a good computer to play games. Apple machines isn't for that, and no offense i don't even know why someone would even buy anything apple at all :confused:
Studio software and a promise of better security.

Oh, and bragging rights on spending about 50% more for the same hardware for those so inclined.

Studio software and a promise of better security.

Oh, and bragging rights on spending about 50% more for the same hardware for those so inclined.

Normally people would brag about something actually worth bragging. Still what you say is true, when people buy an i-phone they aren't buying a phone but the main evidence to sustain their "I have an i-phone" claim.

As for the security, with a good antivirus and basic cyber-security knowledge, and by that i mean don't use 1234 as password, you can use windows without problem. If MAC is more secure is only because hackers know there isn't any of worth in that computer :p

Everybody has their platform of choice and while Mac isn't all that suited for video gaming, it's basically the number one platform for Audio/Visual Media creation. Both within the corporate space with Ad companies etc. and the Creators space with Youtube. Especially amongst Tech Youtubers you'll be hard pressed to find a Windows system being used for productivity and content creation. Outside of that you are buying into a ecosystem where everything works out of the box with minimal strain on the user side, that has seamless integration among different platforms (Mac, iPads and iPhones) and is more secure due to its inherent closed of nature. It's also a certain promise of quality, you hardly see incorrect Mac updates pushed out however Windows has had two in the past few weeks. A update is also less likely to break your device, whereas Windows updates tend to come to with plenty of issue due to the varied amount of systems it can run on.

In the end Mac/Apple is for the business type or the creator that needs a system they can count on, that doesn't need access to everything and doesn't want to bother with all the nitty gritty. Of course going Apple is an all or nothing decision.

@Akazury will i agree with you let me point two points:
Outside of that you are buying into a ecosystem where everything works out of the box with minimal strain on the user side, that has seamless integration among different platforms (Mac, iPads and iPhones)

The seamless integration, while true, is all about Apple devices. The playstation, Xbox and pc are the principal game platforms, many people ask, why can't the gamers hace cross-connectivity among this three? And the answer is companies don't want to share. Apple is the same but with their system, as you said is a ecosystem but a closed one. Also people usually buy things they can use just by pressing on. I mean, at least where i live, if you buy a pc you don't need to install Windows on it,if you buy it already made, like the ones almost all the shops sell.

A update is also less likely to break your device, whereas Windows updates tend to come to with plenty of issue due to the varied amount of systems it can run on.

While i agree this can happen, i disagree in that the probabilities are low, very low, very very low. Maybe if we talk about Vista or Windows 8 you would be right, but so far i, or people i know, have never got a problem with an update. I know there is always a risk for unnoticed bugs, but its the very same risk for any system. Windows can have as much probabilities as MAC in that regard. I play Stellaris, the Adams patch was suppose to fix a lot of bugs and introduced one to the game that make imposible for the empires to declare war, so i dare to say that i know about updates to break programs :)