• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dongfanglong

Corporal
19 Badges
May 13, 2016
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • King Arthur II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
so I have been trying to play stellaris for a while and i have not been able to get to the late game when things get fun because by then the lag is so bad its no fun to play.

So i have been doing many tests and i have tried using the Production Revolution 3.1 and dropping the map from huge to large but nothing i do seems to make the game run any better in the late game. Obviously people are playing the game so i must be missing something here. So far the lag starts around 2300 not much just allot of stutter on the 1st of a month. just a second but it gets worse faster and faster. By 2400 the game is not playable. I watch my system resources and i have a I9 9900K that seems like its not even sweating but if i look at each core CPU8 is maxed out by 2300. I am not trying to get into the multithread debate. I just want to know if there is anything i can do to get this to not get so laggy right about when the big crisis starts. Without needing to play small maps.

In short does anyone have any tricks to make the game playable late game?

There is no multi-thread debate - it is there and it works :D But there will always be one CPU/core that carries the main load, not all processes can be usefully shared between cores.

What if you use Affinity in Task Manager to prevent the game running on CPU8 - any different?

Also, in Windows run msconfig. Go into boot-advanced; if number of processors is ticked there, untick it and reboot.

If none of that helps; did reducing galaxy size not help the performance at all? Or some but not enough?

And in what way does the lag manifest itself? Slow time passing, jerkiness in zooming or scrolling, long load times for save games? All of those?

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

i know there is not real debate about it but i also know people like to just respond with that whenever you ask for help with lag.

Ok i attached the diag file and as for the num of processors was not checked and my task manager doesn't give me any affinity options.

Symptoms are big stutter on the 1st of months and general sluggish movement and response to input when trying to navigate around or control anything. Ships will stop go kind of stutter. zooming seems fine mostly. saves are no issue and load times are ok. its on a ssd so have not had any problem with the the load/save processes. Also the fastest speed will be slower than early game normal if not slower and normal will be very slow. Id say the thing that pushes it to the point i just cant play any more is the responsive ness. it feels like im playing a online game with epically high ping if that makes sense. the whole click on something and it takes up to a sec to actually click it. In extrema cases of course. as for smaller map that will need more testing. it takes a long time to get it to the late game even on fastforward so my sample pool with large galaxies is only 2 saves at 2500s on the one and mid 2300s on the second. it takes about half a day or longer depending on how lagy that run is. One i though i had fixed it because it wasn't so bad but it was just because a empire had taken half the galaxy and just blew up all the planets.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    140,2 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    314 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    1,2 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,1 MB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    5,5 KB · Views: 0
There are a lot of errors in that log, including mod errors. You are testing this with galaxies that have never had any mods used in them, is that right?

Please try this:

- move any valued save games elsewhere, and user_empire_designs.txt from /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ if you have made any custom empires or races.
- "uninstall" in Steam-Stellaris
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris folders
In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again.
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- right click on stellaris.exe, properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations", and untick everything else in that screen. Apply and exit
- start the launcher, and select the fullScreen display mode
- now start the game with no mods active and test with a new galaxy, NOT any existing one.

Is that any better? If not, in the launcher go back to borderless display mode, turn Vsync off and set the refreshRate cap to 60. Is that any better?