• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking at the 3.0 patch notes, I don't get any particular sense that overall performance will improve much, if at all. Sure the pop growth stuff should affect late game performance but I rarely get to the midgame without it feeling unbearably slow.

I'm not going to buy any DLCs until this is significantly improved.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looking at the 3.0 patch notes, I don't get any particular sense that overall performance will improve much, if at all. Sure the pop growth stuff should affect late game performance but I rarely get to the midgame without it feeling unbearably slow.

All PDX games lag more or less, the more stuff they have in them. The crucial point is how much you machine can take on (reagrdless of good or bad PDX implementations), and how much each player can bear. Please give 3.0.1 a try tomorrow without getting the DLC (it shouldn't matter) and report here!

Reactions:
All PDX games lag more or less, the more stuff they have in them. The crucial point is how much you machine can take on (reagrdless of good or bad PDX implementations), and how much each player can bear. Please give 3.0.1 a try tomorrow without getting the DLC (it shouldn't matter) and report here!

Don't worry, I've not given up yet. As with previous releases I'll report my performance impressions / basic benchmarks when I can.

I noticed in Aspec's video yesterday that he seemed very happy with performance but he also noted that he had a modern high-end PC so his experience might not be normal. When I first started playing Stellaris I was impressed with how well it ran on my very old workstation and got to year 2500 many times. I now play using a recent high-end laptop that is much faster than that old workstation and rarely get beyond 2300. I suspect part of the problem is that my laptop is massively overheating and the CPU is being thermally throttled but on older versions (like 2.6) it didn't used to overheat like this. I don't particularly want to buy a modern desktop PC just to get decent performance...

Reactions:

Completely and wholeheartedly agree.

After hearing about the newest expansion, I came specifically looking to see if ANY real progress has been made to performance in late-game. Here I am 4-5 years into owning Stellaris that is STILL unplayable at late-game with anything larger than a tiny galaxy. I try it after each major update and STILL it DRAGS. It is such a shame because it is a great game but I have lost all faith that Paradox will ever actually fix the obviously weak scripting happening behind the scenes to cause performance to tank.
My CPU is the problem? Nope, 10th gen i7 is more than enough. Why is it that when I'm staring at my CPU usage it is never being stressed by Stellaris?? Furthermore, people benchmarking different hardware will show barely noticeable improvement. That is not a hardware constraint, that is poor coding. The game barely touches the hardware.
My fleet size is the problem?
My galaxy too big?
I don't have the right mods installed?
Nope, Paradox, your game is broken, DOA, from day 1.

The fact that many here will readily make excuses for Paradox and continue to throw $$ at them is perhaps why they have absolutely zero incentive to fix anything. The last time I gave them $$ was for MegaCorp and I had purchased everything up to that point. Patch 2.4 came and went, and it looks like 3.0 as well. Feel free to respectfully disagree.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Completely and wholeheartedly agree.

After hearing about the newest expansion, I came specifically looking to see if ANY real progress has been made to performance in late-game. Here I am 4-5 years into owning Stellaris that is STILL unplayable at late-game with anything larger than a tiny galaxy. I try it after each major update and STILL it DRAGS. It is such a shame because it is a great game but I have lost all faith that Paradox will ever actually fix the obviously weak scripting happening behind the scenes to cause performance to tank.
My CPU is the problem? Nope, 10th gen i7 is more than enough. Why is it that when I'm staring at my CPU usage it is never being stressed by Stellaris?? Furthermore, people benchmarking different hardware will show barely noticeable improvement. That is not a hardware constraint, that is poor coding. The game barely touches the hardware.
My fleet size is the problem?
My galaxy too big?
I don't have the right mods installed?
Nope, Paradox, your game is broken, DOA, from day 1.

The fact that many here will readily make excuses for Paradox and continue to throw $$ at them is perhaps why they have absolutely zero incentive to fix anything. The last time I gave them $$ was for MegaCorp and I had purchased everything up to that point. Patch 2.4 came and went, and it looks like 3.0 as well. Feel free to respectfully disagree.
Have you actually reached late game with 3.0 yet?

I've not got there yet, but it seems much faster at the stage I *have* got to.

Reactions:
Hi all, Quick question I have an Intel Core i7-6700 (3.4 GHz) Processor Socket 1151 - Quad Core - 8MB Cache - Skylake and my games are slow from the start. Whether I put speed 2 or 3 the speed is the same, it lags 2 to 3 seconds between each month and sometimes lags in the movements of the vessels. Does anyone have this problem? Because personally I find it abnormal especially with my old i5 5 years ago at the start of the game it worked very well.

I've not yet benchmarked the game in a roughly apples to apples comparison but performance does feel better... but only somewhat.

Maybe I should say it's more scalable - the game doesn't slow down as much as it used to. This is why I said it was "better" rather than "faster". The first 10 years feels about the same as it used to. It might actually be faster but it's not enough for me to feel it.

But is it good enough? Nope. As a quick test earlier today, I played on minimum sized galaxy with max number of AI empires. While it was quite zippy in the beginning, just 50 years later I could see noticeable lag and "fastest" was barely any better than "faster".

So while I might be able to play the game deeper than I could before, I still feel I'm in the situation that I basically have to buy a new desktop to get good performance and the way the market is right now that's not terribly appealing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's... not good...
Right?

With the massive culling of pops I was sure the results would be a lot better than that.
Especially after years of talking about pops being the main problem.

I'm at around 2500 in my 1000 star/30 empire game and I'm finding performance very similar to what it was before.

Everything before it felt quicker and gave me hope for future years to follow suit, which they did not

• 3Like
Reactions:
I just played the game on a large galaxy until the crisis took all my systems and there were only pitiful empires left.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Years of DLC content and I've finally gotten the chance to enjoy it!

• 8Like
Reactions:
Admittedly I got a massively better computer between the previous patch and this one, but game runs liquid smooth now. I'm actually having to play on lower speeds cause fastest is now too fast at times.

Hi all, Quick question I have an Intel Core i7-6700 (3.4 GHz) Processor Socket 1151 - Quad Core - 8MB Cache - Skylake and my games are slow from the start. Whether I put speed 2 or 3 the speed is the same, it lags 2 to 3 seconds between each month and sometimes lags in the movements of the vessels. Does anyone have this problem? Because personally I find it abnormal especially with my old i5 5 years ago at the start of the game it worked very well.
whats your gpu? Integrated Graphics or dedicated? Did you try repairing/reinstalling the game files?