Peace conferences are very easy to fix

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lider_Picaro

First Lieutenant
58 Badges
Mar 10, 2015
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
After so many years of rage-inducing peace conferences where anyone can demand anything the answer is very simple:

A country should only be able to make demands in territorry occupied by it's faction. That's how it happened in real life and it's how it should happen. Soviets occupied eastern Europe and did what they wanted there. Allies occupied western europe and did what they wanted there. Same goes for Korea.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Also, the losers get nothing unless someone is puppeting them and rebuilding the remnants. I don't know how many times I saw Germany get puppeted and then turn about to lay claim to Bohemia and/or the Sudetenland. Or Japan gets trounced, but still holds onto Korea and Manchuria. Any beaten nation that is being reformed as a democracy ought to automatically release all territory and/or puppets it stole, even the stuff it took before the game start.

Also, a much more clear set of goals for alliances - such as, the Allies intend on spreading democracy, so they should not be making puppets of any but those they have focuses for, and otherwise should be "freeing" their enemies from tyrranical leadership. The Allies should not be gobbling up conquered turf for their own profit, as they did that at the end of WWI, denying two of their friends [Italy and Japan] the right to freely do so, and look what happened twenty years later. So with the Allies, the faction leader should be allowed to set the rules for what happens post-war.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also, the losers get nothing unless someone is puppeting them and rebuilding the remnants. I don't know how many times I saw Germany get puppeted and then turn about to lay claim to Bohemia and/or the Sudetenland. Or Japan gets trounced, but still holds onto Korea and Manchuria. Any beaten nation that is being reformed as a democracy ought to automatically release all territory and/or puppets it stole, even the stuff it took before the game start.

Also, a much more clear set of goals for alliances - such as, the Allies intend on spreading democracy, so they should not be making puppets of any but those they have focuses for, and otherwise should be "freeing" their enemies from tyrranical leadership. The Allies should not be gobbling up conquered turf for their own profit, as they did that at the end of WWI, denying two of their friends [Italy and Japan] the right to freely do so, and look what happened twenty years later. So with the Allies, the faction leader should be allowed to set the rules for what happens post-war.

Totally not agree with democratic countries not puppeting. West Germany, Italy, Japan and South Korea were US/Allied puppets at the end of the war

• 1Like
Reactions:

I don't quite agree. Not only Democracies actually have a special puppet type "supervised state", which gives less benefits and have a daily autonomy gain, which is clearly not supposed to be a permanent arrangement, but if you look at Japan and Germany IRL after the war, Japan was basically a US puppet state, and Germany was outright occupied by the allies. Since the game doesn't last past 1948 (and in practice rarely last that long), I believe it's fine. to be able to grab clay and puppet as a democracy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I did specify that if they had a focus for puppeting, and guess what - the USA... they have focuses for puppeting both Germany and Japan! Even so, there are times when the AI just flips them over to democracy, and once that happens, they seem to get to keep their previously subjugated territory. Sometimes they even get to make claims - they have warscore, after all. Once conquered, they count as "an ally" if their government is flipped in a previous round. Such effects should not take place until the entire conference is over; I should not see my enemies on my side of the table until the final decisions are made, by me, or by the AI.

Last edited:
It'd be cool if after the Italian and Soviet expansions as well as a land warfare rework (which I feel are the most pertinent in terms of what to be reworked next) sometime down the line we have post-war jockeying flavor packs. Stuff like the Atlantic charter, Bretton woods system, Yalta + Cairo conferences, declaration of the United Nations + later foundation of the UN + dissolution of the League of Nations would help enrich the flavor of vanilla, and maybe also affect peace conference AI (Atlantic charter prohibiting new colonies and encouraging decolonization of Allied ones). Maybe also alt-history post-war planning, like an Axis division of the world, new world orders, a world-wide revolution (for the communists), and other ways for WW2 to end.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I actually suggested a while ago to a Dev that a Conference mechanic might be cool for the Allies. To determine their overall strategy and commitments. Plan their major offensives. Instead of every AI nation just operating on their own without regard to their Allies.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It needs a lot more than that, but that would be better than nothing, which is what Paradox is content with doing.
You could have it where the other country with higher score demands it, and you can turn them down, leaving them with option of declaring war on you after the PC is over.
You could also make it much more costly to "claim" a territory another nation is occupying.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It needs a lot more than that, but that would be better than nothing, which is what Paradox is content with doing.
You could have it where the other country with higher score demands it, and you can turn them down, leaving them with option of declaring war on you after the PC is over.
You could also make it much more costly to "claim" a territory another nation is occupying.

Agreed. When the rework arrives I will of course be expecting much more than just that. I just wanted to point out an obvious improvement that should have been at least since release if Paradox did some basic testing.

However we already know how Paradox works. Launch a hollow alpha concept of the game and then actually develop it during the next five years charging the testers for it. That's why after buying the game on release and stare in disgust at the scam, I didnt play again until 4 DLCs later (which of course I got on a sale for the bare minimum).

• 4Like
Reactions:
The one thing I would add to OP's suggestions is that countries from multiple factions should be able to carve puppets out of the same country. This would allow for both a democratic South Korea and a communist North Korea, for example. Likewise, it would eliminate the need for the railroaded Yalta Conference event, which usually just ends up being a glitchy mess anyway. There have been many times where I didn't want to take territory directly, but was forced to since the AI in the other faction already "beat me" to the puppet button.

• 4Like
Reactions:
After so many years of rage-inducing peace conferences where anyone can demand anything the answer is very simple:

A country should only be able to make demands in territorry occupied by it's faction. That's how it happened in real life and it's how it should happen. Soviets occupied eastern Europe and did what they wanted there. Allies occupied western europe and did what they wanted there. Same goes for Korea.

That makes sense but that mean also fixing how territories given to occupiers.

You'll find many situations where even though your troops are doing the work, someone else gets to be occupant (not even just in the case when you happen to attack first from their territory - which itself does not mean so much).

• 1Like
Reactions:

This is not what happened historically, for example Thuringia was occupied by the US but handed over to the Soviets. They had agreed who would occupy what beforehand.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is not what happened historically, for example Thuringia was occupied by the US but handed over to the Soviets. They had agreed who would occupy what beforehand.

To play devil's advocate: that is because a dying, weak, FDR couldn't stand up at all, let alone stand up to brutal Stalin. Should have let MacArthur or Patton, or even Eisenhower negotiate with Stalin instead.

Last edited:
God I wish they would move this higher up in the priority list at this point because honestly I wish the whole situation around wars ending weirdly and sudden majors and oops you didn't invade so you don't get that spot stuff is just weird.

The way the game works right now it makes me want to play all the way up to the peace conference then just stop and not bother.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have not noticed that it is noticeably more costly to claim land another nation occupies. I will pay more attention next peace conference to confirm this.

Countries in your faction doesn't matter but taking occupations of countries out of your faction is very expensive thankfully.

• 1Like
Reactions: