Patch 1.5.1 Cornflakes Live - Checksum dbb6 (Not for problem reports)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am considering dropping the cost of the initial level a bunch so its cheaper to switch. not a big fan of getting 2 free techs off the bat using the exploit. To me its the same as saying you want to be able to change your starting templates and army setups for free on start.
I think the current system is already a decent middle ground. IRL countries can't switch away from decades of military thinking into some radically different line of thought within a year. Switching would take years or even decades. In HoI4 you can now do it within a year, which is more than generous.

People are only complaining because they are used to the exploit. If it had never existed, I doubt people would even request free doctrine switching.

It's the same with e.g. one-division-training*. Lots of people love it and think it's just a "clever use of game mechanics", even though it makes no sense and is clearly an exploit. If/when that is fixed, I am sure there will be people requesting it back, claiming that exploit was somehow a necessary part of the game.

*Farming army XP in the most cost-effective manner by disbanding all but the largest division in the player's army, and then turning equipment off in the template designer.

Last edited:
When playing as the UK and US the historical fallback names are "123 Marines" or "123 Armored Brigade" instead of "1st Marines" or "1st Armored Brigade". Is there a historical reason for this and is it possible to create custom fallback names?

I noticed to my great delight that India can become a Dominion and democratic. When was this excellent change made?

Is it just me or does the Prussian border with Poland still look a little off after Poland secedes Posen and Danzig?
Yeah, that is because the borders are ever so slightly off in West Prussia and the eastern half of Upper Silesia that was given to Poland isn't ceded either.

Game borders:
YI6CkpG.jpg

Historical borders:
ygjmQav.jpg

I am considering dropping the cost of the initial level a bunch so its cheaper to switch. not a big fan of getting 2 free techs off the bat using the exploit. To me its the same as saying you want to be able to change your starting templates and army setups for free on start.
Just as an idea how about every country starting with no doctrines researched, but give all the majors a research bonus for the doctrine they're supposed to have? That way people who want to play a radically different game just to see how it would play out get what they want, but choosing the historical path will still be the easiest way.

Incidentally, does anyone ever bother paying 250 political power for the military theorists who give a 10% bonus for a particular doctrine tree, or are you all like me where you reckon 100 PP for a 3% research bonus is not worth it and you get the 7% bonus for all doctrines guy instead?

If the specific doctrine guy was a bigger bonus or cost fewer power points, they might act as an incentive to follow the historical doctrine of the country.

This wasn't changed? Da9L and podcat discussed this in a livestream, that Genius Theorists are to expensive with 250PP against 150PP of Experts. They said, they will think about chaning this.
Hopefully this will change in 1.5.2

This wasn't changed? Da9L and podcat discussed this in a livestream, that Genius Theorists are to expensive with 250PP against 150PP of Experts. They said, they will think about chaning this.
Hopefully this will change in 1.5.2
Where and when was this stream? I missed the last one and it doesnt appear on twitch.

Thank you so much for this update. Yesterday I was in a monarchist Germany multiplayer game, I started the war in 1938 (AI allies objected to Kaiser Wilhelm II coming back) but they didn't attack or basically do anything, they just sat on the Maginot line. I managed to get enough bombers to destroy the forts, and pushed into France for a time (the Franco-British Union fired), but eventually got pushed back to Germany proper. They stopped attacking again though, and I couldn't get enough air superiority, and I couldn't go through Belgium, so I just sat there for a while. It was frustrating because I couldn't justify (because the world tension was only at ~30) so I basically couldn't do anything.

Yeah, that bothered me too, for my Monarchist Playtrough I just modded away the restriction for "Non-Aligned" to justify wars.

Gameplay wise it's already unhandy, but it doesn't even make sense in a roleplaying sense. The restrictions make sense for Unaligned Nations in a historical playthroigh, but why should the Old Monarchies of Europe, if they have a comeback, not be able to declare wars? It doesn't make sense, in such an alternative world the Old Monarchies wouldn't really be unaligned.

I absolutely think now with the possibility of bringing back the Old European Monarchies (Like Germany, Italian, and a more benign, more sane Japan), Paradox should have made Monarchism a fourth Ideology, with less restrictions on justifying and declaring war.

Awesome game!

I got a few hours in as Italy with the final 1.5.1 build. Trait level up speed feels about where it should be, maybe a tad slow, but I’m not that far into the game so it could be a good speed for the big war.

I got one general controlling almost all the divisions in Ethiopia, won the war, then put the same general and FM into three volunteer units for the Spain civil war. The (longest named Italian, can’t recall name, but lvl 1) general is about 600 points toward mountaineer earned trait, about 100 points short. The imminent Yugoslav war should push this general over the top. The FM isn’t going to level up any time soon but that’s ok.

As the scale of combat multiplies later on, more generals should be able to earn traits too.

Edit - Further into the game and traits seem about right, the pace is not too easy, but not frustrating.

Last edited:
Reverted Nazi Germany getting back their old focus tree if they won the German Civil War (because it broke a lot of things).
Does that mean you go to the generic country non German vanilla focus tree, or you just go back to a fresh 1.5 focus tree or you go back to the pre 1.5 German focus tree?

well its not really 2 free techs because its not really free you are removing 1 tech to get another tech. kinda like going to the shop and trading one candy bar for another of equal value and size. personally i feel that the doctrines already take to long for example i love playing japan and it currently takes 300 days to get a doctrine tech researched because of this swapping to a doctrine tree that is beneficial for japan costs me 300 days just to be able to not have a useless tech. if planning bonuses effected navel invasions i would not have as big a problem but in most situations grand battle plan is a dead tech.

To be even remotely realistic a change of doctrine tree should take no less than 3650 days.

Just as an idea how about every country starting with no doctrines researched, but give all the majors a research bonus for the doctrine they're supposed to have? That way people who want to play a radically different game just to see how it would play out get what they want, but choosing the historical path will still be the easiest way.

I actually think this is an interesting idea. Something along these lines, sort of a go with the flow versus fighting against the grain. Maybe even at some point the decision system can be incorporated with doctrinal changes due to shakes up in general staff or what not.