• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Teekko

Recruit
Jan 30, 2024
I tried to play CK3 via Steam today, but after starting it I kept getting the message that the launcher could not be found. Therefore I decided to uninstall the game and the launcher and redownload it again later. However, I couldn't uninstall it at the beginning using the add or remove apps in the windows settings. So I removed the launcher with Revo Uninstaller. However, when I download CK3 again and with it the launcher, I still get the following message: 'The older version of Paradox Launcher v2 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.'
I've searched now my entire PC for almost 3 hours and found nothing, not even in the hidden Appdata folder.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do to get my ck3 working again?

1706656455838.png
1706656636564.png

Last edited:
This is typically a previous other installation stuck, or a problem in the Windows update/install processes.

If you see msiexec OR Paradox Launcher running in Task manager-processes, kill it and try this launcher install again please.

If still no good, do you see Paradox Launcher v2 in the Windows Control Panel to uninstall? If so does it uninstall cleanly, or get an error doing that? You can use this MS tool to clear the stuck install/uninstall:

THEN Please try this:

uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

exit the Steam app entirely
run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Note that you can run ck3.exe directly from File Explorer, which bypasses the launcher.

I appreciate your efforts in responding to my inquiry.

Despite attempting all the suggested steps, I haven't been successful. Both msiexec and the Paradox Launcher were not visible in the Task Manager. The launcher didn't appear in the control panel, and the MS tool couldn't locate it either. Additionally, it wasn't listed in the Windows Apps & Features utility, and the associated folders are no longer present in the Appdata Folder. Consequently, I am unable to provide the .log files here. Unfortunately, the download of the launcher continues to be unsuccessful.

Then you can try the free utilities Revo Uninstaller and Ccleaner , together they should clean out everything.

Hi there !

I think I have almost the same problem as mentioned here.
"Almost" because the needed file mentioned in the first error box shown in the screenshot isn't "launcher-installer-windows.msi" but "launcher-installer-windows_2023.11.msi".
I then followed you recomandations with no success.

I also tried Revo and Ccleaner without success.

Here are the files I have in the "AppData\Local\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2\logs" folder.

Any ideas ?

Thank you, and I hope it worked for Teekko at least ;)

Attachments

• cpatch.log
    113,1 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-2024-02-04.log
    4,1 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-bootstrapper.log
    7,9 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    1,8 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-installer.log
    160,2 KB · Views: 0
"launcher-installer-windows.msi"
I don't see anything in the OP about this file?

Are you getting the "Paradox Launcher v2 cannot be removed" error too? You don't explicitly mention that.

Thank you for your response.

About "launcher-installer-windows.msi" I mentionned from the OP, I was refering to the message attached.

Basically my problem is that whenever I start the game using steam, I get the Paradox Launcher installation. Then it fails, asking me to provide "launcher-installer-windows_2023.11.msi".

So I thought maybe it was a problem with my Paradox Launcher, so I tried to unistall it as advised in other posts, and...the installer keeps asking me for this ""launcher-installer-windows_2023.11.msi" file.

Please try this:

- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

THEN install the launcher with this updated installer

THEN:
- exit the Steam app entirely
- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam
OR
- exit the Epic app entirely
- run EpicGamesLauncher.exe as the Windows Admin user
- run the game from the Epic client

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

Ok thank you for your reply.

I did it step by step, this is what happened.

Step 1 : unistall using windows utility => I get the error message shown in screenshot "Step1" attached.
Step 2 : suppressed every files mentionned, and then downloaded and launched the installation. See the screenshot "Step2" (again same message)
Step 3 : exited Steam app, launched it back as Admin, pressed play. Again, the installation process starts, and again, same error (screenshot "Step3)

So in the end I went to get the logs, that you will also find attached.

Any ideas ? :(

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    910 bytes · Views: 0
  • launcher-installer.log
    158,1 KB · Views: 0
  • Step1.png
    Step1.png
    49,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Step2.png
    Step2.png
    65,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Step3.png
    Step3.png
    534 KB · Views: 0
Unimnstall the launcher again, THEN use this MS tool to get rid of it entirely

If that, and Revo Uninstaller and Ccleaner do not help I don't know what is wrong in the Windows installation infrastructure here to cause this to you.

Make a new Windows user and log in with that - do you get the same problems?

Ok, bad news : Windows, Revo and Ccleaner weren't able to unistall anything properly.
Good news : it worked with another fresh windows profile. Switched back to main windows profile => still the same error.
Perfect news : I just copied-past everything I needed from the working profile to the main profile and it worked again.

Thank you for your time guys !

• 1Like
Reactions: