• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry for taking so long. Graduation time was rather hectic, as this summer has been rather fast paced. Speaking of a faster pace though. I think I can safely say this chapter will mark where the AAR starts to pick up. This is also probably a rather large update.

---------------

Volume II, Chapter III: Western Tension and Intervention

An Excerpt from The Rise of Kvatch: A Second Era Story by Imperial Chronicler Mercutio

Soon events, while still being a mere continuation of Kvatchian politics as usual, would very clearly transition into a build up. A built up to what of course could not be said at the time, though even those at the time new a storm was coming. Today, the period from 2E 509 to 513 is called The First Great Cyrodiilic Chaos, for better or worse in terms of historical accuracy. The Atticus family would play a large role in those events as the constant intrigue in Kvatch would inevitably draw them in. That is not to say the family is to blame for what occurred later. Indeed, saying as such would be equal to the greatest blasphemy against the Nine, and though I am personally not one to stray from historical controversy, I believe the orthodox history of the Atticus line is in the right here.

Before we can begin to discuss the Chaos, though, we must resume the previous line of intrigue five years before those events, in 2E 504, when events in Greater Anvil suddenly became more serious. The increased involvement of the Atticus line and Kvatch in general meant these events were reaching the point where any rationally grounded political moves could not ignore the situation. The first thing of note was a rather simple event, though rather unfortunate. The winter that year was particularly harsh. Young Belene caught an early cold, which developed from there, eventually resulting in death on the 27th of Heartfire. She had not yet left her mark on the world, let alone put forth memorable service to Kvatch or Anvil, left her husband an heir, or any number of possibilities that were foresaw for the prodigy...

rggSBCK.png

Shortly thereafter, a few weeks before the year's end, Anvil was once again in one of it's innumerable civil wars. The princes of the realm were getting bold and challenging their father and each other in a way that might be described as some sort of grand game, if the stakes were not so seriously high. What made this war more notable for Kvatch was that should Prince Larin succeed, which he may well have had given a large Hegathian support base bolstered by Elven ranks, the new Queen of Anvil would be none other than Ioannes' daughter Britta. At this point Ioannes would not openly take sides in the dispute, but a victory for Larin would have obvious benefit for the Atticus family. The King had other worries, though. With such unrest right over the border, some of the near-Anvil counties were getting some unfortunate ideas. Some older families, such as the much revered Kvinchal line, were tacitly supporting dissent within Kvatch's borders, and even openly challenging Ioannes on grounds of his moral conduct. Without an easy causus belli to join in to the West, and potential unrest at home, for the moment Ioannes focused on regaining some internal stability.

KRHDLu1.jpg

X1XOTEz.jpg

The unrest was eventually taken care of, as best as the situation allowed and without resorting to unusual methods. In the mean time though, the rebellion in Anvil had been defeated over the course of that year. Larin surrendered. First he was stripped of his support base in Hegathe to a large degree, restricted to ruling a small segment of Anvil's holdings in Valenwood, and then finally thrown in prison. Britta was appointed regent. A disappointment, to be sure, but from the perspective of the Atticus family having Britta as a controlling regent was a nice consolation. Within a week though, a powerful cabal of advisers influenced the weak Anvil leadership to have Larin executed, despite being a direct child of the King. The death warrant was signed by the father, regardless of this fact. A show of power, perhaps, but resorting the extreme measure also left Anvil even less stable. Senior councilors had long ago stopped speculating just how unstable the Kingdom could get, because it had far surpassed even their worst estimates.

YitStJL.jpg

qYBsTJO.jpg

Britta was informally made a persona non grata and returned to Kvatch. There was no actual law saying she and the remnant of Larin's branch had to leave. She could stay at the home in Silvenar as a ward of the newly established Duke there, but that would be at best awkward and at worse fully demeaning. Upon her return, Ioannes almost immediately made a deal to have her married to a prince of Skingrad. At best this act can be called cold. Opponents wasted no time in criticizing the decision, attacking Ioannes as more concerned with his own schemes than his own daughter's well being, or further questioning Ioannes' sense of love and relationship values. Some even used satire, saying Ioannes normally would not make such a rash call, but his failures in Anvil were driving him literally mad. In their minds, perhaps giving authority to the Atticus family was a mistake, a mistake that should be undone when the best chance came. Oddly, Britta herself did not protest, but perhaps that can be attributed to still being in personal mourning.

3sKcUlv.jpg

By Midyear of 2E 507 Anvil was at war again. The new Prince in control of the Hegathe faction was once again rebelling against the crown. In the view of some, this cycle was inevitable. The geographic separation meant the two sides were to a degree cut off from each other politically, and without a doubt culturally. The peoples of the West had integrated into Colovian culture to a high degree in only a few short decades, but in reality form a third identity, a mix of their old ways and Colovian influence. Despite technically being a conquered area, this region had a distinct advantage by this point in the Second Era. Anvil proper was busy controlling local Elven populations, and the pirates favored attacking the port of Anvil over the lands of Hammerfell. Furthermore, the lands around Anvil were scarred by decades of constant warfare and could not recover. By contrast, though there had been some fighting in Hegathe, by and large the region had been left alone and even flourished after the initial conquest. The Princes apointed to oversee Hegathe were also more in touch with the people. Kings in Anvil tended to get decadent rather quickly, enjoying the noble lifestyle and keeping peasants and merchants separated as much as they could. This did not endear the people of Hegathe to them, who were always outsiders under Anvil's rule. Princes sent to rule directly didn't have the option for luxury, so were naturally closer to the people, and tended to catch on quickly that sharing the wealth gained them fierce loyalty from the local warriors, only strengthening their own support bases against their fathers.

Ironically, this meant the civil wars were now becoming multi-layered affairs. When Prince Ignus was given control of Hegathe, he of course kept his lands in Anvil, around Crowhaven. When he rebelled seven months later, the people he put in charge of Crowhaven sought to break away from his control, but were not accepted by the King in Anvil. In his opinion, a rebel was a rebel, no matter the cause, and thus this time the civil war could almost be called three sided. The intensity of the conflict unfortunately meant it easily spilled over the border. Bellisarius was forced to take action, adding yet a fourth side to the war. Though the central authority in Kvatch had not joined the war, Kvatchian troops were undeniably fighting in and around Anvil's territory from this point on. Ironically, though this step pushed the war even further out of control, in the short term it led to a quick capitulation of the Crowhaven faction, who surrendered unconditionally to the recognized King. Conflict along the border would not end anytime soon, especially as within months anti-Atticus factions grew even more bold and started small uprisings in the ever troublesome Linchal region. Not all news was bad during this time though.

As the futility and complexity of the civil wars increased, along with increased Kvatchian involvement, the Hegathe faction began to court more support from the Atticus family. The possibility of a fruitful relationship was easy to see, after all, and a few members of the family still did remain in influential spots. Of particular note was Princess Felicia gaining a regency spot in late 2E 508 after her husband's death. They had but one child, an infant named Ioannes, signifying a desire for increased ties to Kvatch.

600akbc.jpg

NzzogBO.jpg

ihRNhOi.jpg

The situation only worsened in 2E 509 when Rihad explosively destabilized. The issue at hand was the local lord's legalization of slavery in late 2E 508, and the implication that they were going to be tacitly joining forces with some pirate faction to increase that unsavory trade across the region. There were massive protests, including in Kvatch's occupied Hafar that latched on to existing religious tensions and Kvatch's attempt to spread the faith of the Eight to the county, causing even more trouble along the Western border. By Rain's Hand, Rihad was in full blown civil war.

ejRkqfA.jpg

SdvXRWG.jpg

0xOPdZV.jpg

The situation finally came to a head on a fateful day that marked what most historians call the "official" start of the Chaos, the 2nd of Sun's Height, 2E 509. King Ioannes II recieved a formal letter from Duke Itian of Anvil, a Duke in control of the Duchy of Anvil as compared to one of the many warring Princes, though he was at war. He was one of Ioannes' many son in laws, and yet another to name their first born after him. He had quite the interesting proposal. Hegathe was currently separated from Anvil due to gavelkind succession. He was going to initiate a war to install King Irlav as dual king of both Kingdoms. He was far the better ruler, had more support, and with Ioannes' help could finally bring the endless wars to a close. He would have to support his brother as a matter of formality, but would do little to assist in actuality. It was a tempting offer, one Ioannes felt he needed to take in order for order to reign supreme...

2rduD3O.jpg

62nC8uT.jpg

Congratulations on graduation!

I really do miss the world of Tamriel... close shut the jaws of oblivion!

Thanks!

BTW guys, I've noticed that the early pictures I foolishly put on imageshack are now gone. I might try to get that fixed here in awhile, but it's probably a monumental task unfortunately :\ I know I *do* still have the pictures around, but matching them up is going to be.... yeah....

Huzzah! The AAR is back!

And that's unfortunate to hear about the images. Have you tried imgr? That's what I use.

Oh, I use imgur *now*, and indeed past page 1 of the AAR all the links have always been imgur. That just didn't do me any good with all the old links. There's just no simple way to press a button and "fix" the old posts. I still have all the pics, so that isn't the problem, indeed my steam account has roughly 15 pages worth of screenshots from this game, at roughly 60 per page. The current update is on about page 11 of 15 or so. As such, the real problem is going back, finding which picture went in what slot, and then uploading those pictures to imgur. The old links sometimes have the file name of the pic I'm looking for, sometimes not, so I basically have to look at my entire steam gallery one by one while also reading my AAR again and finding which picture matches what's going on in the narrative.

I'll probably update tomorrow and maybe get the first post or two fixed I think. It really depends on how much of my attention I give to the world cup games.

(Or I could do a small update now, as I wait for the next set of deals to cycle in the steam sale)

----------------

Volume II, Chapter IV: Fortunes Swing Back and Forth like a Pendulum

An Excerpt from The Rise of Kvatch: A Second Era Story by Imperial Chronicler Mercutio

The campaign started off quite well for Ioannes II. While I could go into verbose detail about how Kvatch continued to pioneer tactics and strategy, this book already contains many such accounts, and there are many other times more appropriate and relevant to discuss such things. At this stage of the Chaos, a simple map of the conflict after half a year will suffice. Note how Ioannes' forces are BEHIND the defending Anvilian armies. Though no formal holdings had been taken or even siege, the armies met a few times on the road and Ioannes preferred to whittle down the enemy and then gain superior position, rather than outright go for a killing blow. Of course, the Anvilians were also at a severe disadvantage in that they had to deal with other actors causing trouble in the North. From Anvil's perspective, they were most likely fighting three or four wars rather than one. While Ioannes attacked from the East, Itian closed in from the North. To the South the elves staged a vicious campaign to liberate areas under protectorship, and Western pirates also joined the frey, further complicating the issue.

kGcXepy.jpg

3NYWnHH.jpg

Supplementary Map from Imperial Archive - The Alara Campaign of 2E 509 - The largest Elven threat to Anvil during the Chaos

During these good times, Ioannes was able to afford a few weeks to travel back to Kvatch and see over the wedding of his grandson, Allian. Socially, the boy was always a joy to be around. Despite the rampant scandal of the past few decades in the court, he was held as a shining example of a child raised right. Seeing as Allain was second in line to the throne, this did quite a bit to restore confidence in the Atticus family. Even before coming of age there were some whispers that, from a moral point of view, he would be much preferred over his father as King, due to the youngest Ioannes' extraordinary reserve of scandal-worthy material. Granted, this form of dissent never strayed into the territory of wishing ill upon the royal family, but it was definitely a hope in some circles that Allian would make a swift ascent. The only problem was, objectively speaking, Allian did not posses much aptitude for ruling. He wasn't socially awkward, per se. Indeed, he made friends easily enough, more easily than the average tot in fact. It was really the subtle details of diplomacy, finance, war, and the like that he missed. When pressed to choose a future specialty at a young age, Allian had grudgingly chosen to study the Divines. He performed adequately enough in his studies, but he was always distant in formal work.

Tn6d1Ya.jpg

The marriage was to Frida Broadwall, a Nord warrior-bard, second daughter to a powerful Female Jarl. While a strong alliance could be formed via that marriage, it wasn't the concern when the contract was signed. Skyrim was far away, and had it's own problems to deal with. As Allian was more distanced from Ioannes' controlling hand, and likely a future King, he had more room to negotiate for himself. By all accounts, the couple had met while Frida was on a youthful adventure and had fallen instantly in love. Frida was a few years Allian's senior, and had quite a forceful personality, but when merely out for fun and his own concern Allian could be quite the charmer, slowly wooing Frida over to the idea of becoming his bride. The warioress at times had barely concealed contempt for the current King, but there was an unspoken agreement that they would stay out of each other's way. By the time, years in the future, when Allian would be politically important it was unlikely Ioannes would be around to care, and thus the young lovers could afford to simply let the issue take care of itself.

xDMZfUy.jpg

The start of 2E 511 brought bad news, however. Anvil was being defeated, slowly but surely, but close on the heals of a major victory at Garlas a very disturbing letter was delivered to Ioannes II by the perpetually disruptive religious dissenters. They threatened to stab the Kingdom in the back if he did not immediately step down in favor of his illegitimate half-brother, Dru. By most accounts Dru himself had now part of this plot, having already accepted his station in life, and was just as shocked and aghast as the rest of the court. Indeed, Ioannes initially removed Dru as Chancellor, but stayed on at least outwardly friendly terms with the man. Despite protest by diehard loyalists, Dru would eventually resume his position too at Ioannes' insistence.

Rab5FQ9.jpg

Excerpt from Diary of Allian Atticus, page dated 19 Last Seed, 2E 511

"I have never quite felt this feeling before in my life. These are trying times. Rebels are at the gate. My grandfather has rushed backed from campaign in Anvil to deal with the situation. He has had great success, enough that he shall live forever in the record books, but in the haste needed to deal with this emergency he was wounded two days ago breaking through a ragtag group of stragglers from Anvil's army. Though outnumbered 10-1, carelessness can always prove fatal, or nearly so. Still, it is not this that has me ill at ease. It is my grandfather's previous decision immediately after the rebellion to call in favors with Skingrad to procure reinforcements. Maybe this was a kneejerk reaction, or maybe it was well thought out. It does certainly make our logistics easier, but I firmly believe it is the wrong decision. Skingrad's army is vast. Their King has pledged close to 5000 well trained and equipped soldiers. This is nearly twice what we can effectively muster at the moment. They have resources and experience from Elsweyr to top it all off. Their presence has let us see firsthand their strength, and, unfortunately, our weakness. Surely they can see the same. Though they are now our good allies, this may not always be the case. Do not mistake me for a coward, dear diary, for I have confronted grandfather with my concerns more than once, when others are clearly afraid to bring up the issue with him. It may take four times as long, but this assistance was completely unnecessary. We have only exposed ourselves to increased foreign scrutiny.

Frida says I worry too much, and that we have an unbreakable spirit here that cannot be conquered. That may be so, but I am not one to put blind faith in such things. I would rather have solid evidence to back up any feelings of superiority, or even adequacy. It is in my nature to present my case, but I cannot argue with my beloved so, and thus I end up dropping the point more often than not when she is around. She knows this though, and is going easy on me I believe. Such is life. I only hope that one day I am able to make sure we are better prepared, for all eventualities."

ZqfyhdN.jpg

kNI9Xzv.jpg

The situation was quite a mess, but with the help of Skingrad it was under control by the start of 2E 512. Ioannes' forces concentrated on taking out the faction's noble supporters in the Northern Hills. This was definitely an affair more suited to nobles who had direct disputes with one another. The Trumble area was already awash with violence due to border troubles, so nothing was actually new there. Some of the older nobles and elevated bandits had thought this a fine chance to make their discontent with the Atticus family known. Skingrad brought a massive army south, to attack Woodroot and the source of the rebellion directly. Free to fight on two fronts, the rebels stood no chance, though leaving conquered areas in Anvil unattended allowed the rag-tag resistance there a chance to reclaim some ground, but not much. By Sun's Dawn the rebellion surrendered.

Initially the Northern nobles were treated somewhat lightly, while at the same time a public face was presented of punishment. The vast majority were allowed to continue as if nothing had happened if they agreed to pay rather large fines. The fines were such that Atticus finances would not suffer to greatly from the rebellion or the war, though likely local development would be slowed. The troublesome religious leaders were to remained locked up indefinitely, but a plee from the High Priest on the Imperial Isle convinced Ioannes to release them. The central authority of the church was still highly suspect, and on the very fringes might have even wanted a weak Kvatch. These kinds of theories were especially prevelant at the time of the event, and Tamriel-wide. The establishment was far from reaching the point of disrepute that would have warranted major disagreement on the issue, or more accurately any loss of reputation over the debate. It had been a year long distraction, and not all ground had been lost, but now attention had to turn back to the war...

LkbAKNm.jpg

CvatBDw.jpg

Awww come on, no comments on writing on the actual pictures for a change? :p ;)

Anywho, I have tried to restore the pictures on Chapter One, with limited success. I was going to try for the whole first page but got frustrated because I can't seem to find my pics of Ioannes I and Vittoria. They might be on my laptop's local storage and I don't feel like digging it out. Put what I believe to be the rest of the pics from that chapter up, but it's mostly guesswork. I've also trimmed some of them where it felt particularly needed.

Anywho, I have tried to restore the pictures on Chapter One, with limited success. I was going to try for the whole first page but got frustrated because I can't seem to find my pics of Ioannes I and Vittoria. They might be on my laptop's local storage and I don't feel like digging it out. Put what I believe to be the rest of the pics from that chapter up, but it's mostly guesswork. I've also trimmed some of them where it felt particularly needed.

You should always keep your pictures organized. :D
I have pics from each chapter of my AAR's on separate files, that really helps.

Also how far are you going to continue? There is a new version of the mod, so do you plan on going all imperial, or will you be satisfied with just Cyrodiil, or even just Colovia?

The problem is I use a different computer to play than to write, because I first started this AAR on my other comp because this one was broken :p I've sense fixed this one and prefer to use it as it's a desktop rather than a laptop. You can also blame steam for various disorganization, especially the fact that if I don't use the in-client browser for steamcommunity suddenly everything is in Dutch, or occasionally Swedish :p

I'm going to continue with this version most likely, unless an obvious stopping point is hit where there's nothing left to be done. There's also the fact that I have roughly 80 in game years worth of material to go without even needing to play any further in the game, heh. According to Steam I've not played EK since March 23, even, yet have about 5 pages of screenshots to go before I need to make more.

The problem is I use a different computer to play than to write, because I first started this AAR on my other comp because this one was broken :p I've sense fixed this one and prefer to use it as it's a desktop rather than a laptop. You can also blame steam for various disorganization, especially the fact that if I don't use the in-client browser for steamcommunity suddenly everything is in Dutch, or occasionally Swedish :p

I'm going to continue with this version most likely, unless an obvious stopping point is hit where there's nothing left to be done. There's also the fact that I have roughly 80 in game years worth of material to go without even needing to play any further in the game, heh. According to Steam I've not played EK since March 23, even, yet have about 5 pages of screenshots to go before I need to make more.

The problem with multiple computers! :p Since I have 3, all of which serve some particular service for me, and only one being the main "gaming" computer, I feel your pain when I have the other computer without any notes or screenshots when I might be writing! :confused:

You should have gone the route and written the rise of Kvatch in the form of how the history books are written in Oblivion and Skyrim...Brief History of the Empire Books 1-4 :p

Eh, I was going for parts of the in-game books with the writing style at points, but I didn't want to limit myself to just one set style ;) Besides, I'm a very visual learner, and pictures are always the best. It's always been that way, but I blame academia for not being able to handle large chunks of text when reading for fun. We actually had a discussion a few years ago in a class about it and decided it's because those of us who have to write long term papers are just so used to skimming for important details without reading the whole thing, to save time, that when we try and shift gears and read for fun we can't. Tragic really *small violin plays*

The other effect of academia is I tend to be overly verbose because I'm so used to trying to pad things for length :p My first draft of my thesis was 23 pages, and by the time I'd satisfied the review committee I had to get it out to 47 pages. Granted, I had charts and graphs and stuff that helped with length, but eh. Either way, I apologize for any instances where my writing drones on here when I should really just get right to the action ;) Heh.

Truly that was the greatest breakthrough in art since the invention of acrylic paint.

Heh, well what can I say. My sister is a professional artist, and therefore has inherited all the art genes in my family. I'm the science/writing one. You should be giving me a medal if I even manage to draw a straight line, let alone manage to not erase what's under the text :p lol.

I'll try and have an update and more "vintage" pictures fixed tonight, don't know for sure though. I might be sleeping off all the food I just ate watching the World Cup.

I'll try and have an update and more "vintage" pictures fixed tonight, don't know for sure though. I might be sleeping off all the food I just ate watching the World Cup.

Eating food while watching the World Cup? No, the biting is supposed to happen while playing the World Cup...

Only if you want a four month suspension ;)

Anywho, decided I'm going to do a double update tonight (at the expensive of not getting any more fixes on the early posts in). That way we can get even closer to some of the really good stuff. Expect a second post about 45 mins after this one. We'll be capping off Volume II and making way for Volume III sometime next week, and you know what that means ;)

-----------------

Volume II, Chapter V: The Exalted and not so Exalted

The war proceed quickly from this point. There was one more major battle, once again at Garlas. Ioannes won the day easily, though not without great numerical losses. The intense fighting had taken it's toll, and while the army was strong, it was now under 1000 men fit to fight. The road to the opposing capital was open, though, and Anvil was in no state to do anything by this point. By the second week of 2E 513 Itain was able to formally sign a peace, and Irlav was installed as the new King. He was another weird character, but benevolent for the most part, and most off all friendly to the Atticus family. His main quirk was that he continued what seemed to be becoming a 'fine Anvil tradition' and had married a Bosmer. Once again, this union was unlikely to produce an heir, but Irlav was relatively young, so nothing could be said for sure. Itain assured Ioannes that when the time came things would be kept on track and that preparations were being made to ensure Anvil did not destabilize again. Irlav also toyed with the idea of styling the whole realm as Hegathe now, but after a week or so that pretense was dropped and the holdings reverted to the Anvil name.

s2hi1dq.jpg

EJOZmb1.jpg

0V6mRpg.jpg

Ioannes returned home for a brief period of rest. Brief is most definitely the key word. That is not to say his time was not well spent and productive, however. Firstly, though pressure from above had forced him to relent on the original post-war plan for dealing with Woodroot, Ioannes quickly came up with a Plan B and a Plan C, implementing both at the same time. Plan B had actually been in the works for some time, though the war had delayed it to the point of making the whole course of action questionable in the long run. Ironic for such a hotbed of dissent within the Imperial Pantheon, Woodroot was till primarily following native religion. Culturally most Mer in the county had started to become more open to Colovian culture a few years prior, which opened the gate for missionary work. In mid 2E 513 they finally reported success! It was hoped that this would, in part, stabilize the region. If not, there was Plan C. Ioannes had not forgiven the religious leaders of Woodroot for blatant trouble making and rebellious tendencies. Some of the best undercover agents were sent to 'take care' of the problem.

Ey9NAzi.jpg

The court saw a fevered period of celebration and the exaltation of court life. Jon of Slate continued to be a key adviser to the royal family and gained a reputation at this time as one of the first citizens of Kvatch, people who the whole community should strive to become more like. For Ioannes personally though, the most satisfying thing was finally returning home to be with his family, and especially the newborn Alexia, Allian's first child, born during the war. Even a year after birth she was sickly, though, but not to the point of more than an undercurrent of concern. The seers unfortunately did not predict anything great in the future for Alexia, but that she did indeed have a future, as more of a famous follower than a leader.

A4Nugd5.jpg

F2WTPvO.jpg

Peace was not to last, though. The next war came late in the year, but was not a massive affair. In fact, if anything, the event was more engineered by Ioannes than anything. Mer clans near Woodroot had grown nervous by Human activity there. Tension was increasing. A few demonstrations occurred across the border in Arenthia. The situation did seem to be under control, but spiraled into something larger when a night time attack on a woman closing up shop in Woodroot Market was blamed on foreign troublemakers. It was probably a simple mugging, but Ioannes used this as an excuse to send in the army and 'pacify' the 'uncivilized' area. Of course, Kvatch's army was no where near recovered yet, but once again he called in Skingrad for help. This time the decision brought quite a bit of controversy as it was very clearly unnecessary, and was being used offensively. Nevertheless, Ioannes' popularity was at an all time high, barring extraordinary circumstances that lasted in a boost of a week or two during a crisis.

ft2lDgN.jpg

(overall map included for current reference)

j8D3JMr.jpg

hnMwAm9.jpg

As Ioannes had proved time and time again he was never very far from scandal. The agents in Woodroot released a dangerous viper into the the temple on the 13th of First Seed. As even an amateur might predict, being but a lowly creature, the snake did not possess the intelligence to target specifically those that Ioannes wanted dead (and if it did, whether or not it had the inclination to do so would have been an entirely different debate!). Instead, it bit three serving girls in their quarters late in the night, sparking a massive hunt. It claimed no more victims, mostly because one of Kvatch's agents felt remorseful for the innocent deaths and turned himself in, along with advice on how to exterminate the viper. This of course meant Ioannes was exposed in this plot. He vowed that he would immediately cease all effort after being horrified by the three deaths, with a healthy dose of claiming that the agents used their own initiative in the assassination attempt. Records do indeed show that Ioannes called off plan C, but despite this there exist to this day rumors that Kvatch was involved with High Priest Gustav's death in a farming accident on the 6th of Last Seed, about five months later.

1W28bgx.jpg

Jg6sS9U.jpg

Ioannes commanded the war from home, as it was a small one and with Skingrad's help there was never any doubt about the outcome. It left him more family time which he was relaxing well with. Just as the seige was about to happen in Arenthia, Pelagius joined the royal family, Allian's first son. He was a very beautiful baby, and the seers foresaw that this one would be a true leader indeed!

KCeTeqi.jpg

Heartfire of 2E 514 would be an eventful month for Kvatch and the region at large, in numerous ways. First, King Manillian of Skingrad died. As was well established in the laws and customs of Tamriel at the time, the new King could exit the war so that he may spend time properly grieving. This was unfortunate, but the work was almost done anyway. Ioannes sent a respectful letter of condolence to the new King, who was his son-in-law. The very same day he also sent a letter to the Duke in charge of Arenthia, demanding a surrender, which he easily got. Kvatch's army was back up to around 1800 soldiers by that point, and the resisting Mer only numbered 180, if that.

GT3lFZC.jpg

Truly bad news would be heard far and wide across the land five days later, marring the victory. It was another particularly cold winter, and Ioannes the Child had never been particularly strong of health, taking after the royal family progenitor rather than Ioannes I. The heir died one cold night, after a week of failing health. Despite signs, it was still sudden, and a shock. No one thought his health would seriously deteriorate that far. He had not even been 40 yet. Ioannes II was hit particular hard, and it is said that the man rarely smiled for the rest of his life, despite the fact that that his dearly departed son had tried in his youth to ascend to the throne by more rapid means than waiting for him to die of old age. Now his son would never take the throne. Ioannes II had no other sons, only daughters. The heir was now his grandson, Allian.

e0m34nD.jpg

Last edited:
Volume II, Chapter VI: One Can Only See So Much in a Lifetime

The new peace was lethargic. Ioannes II was a changed man. Some things never changed though, like the clergy of Woodroot insisting on Dru being put forth as the rightful King. Ioannes was more cynical now, and did not hesitate to to reauthorize the use of secretive agents to take care of the problem. Indeed, by the end of the year, the High Priestess was dead in an apparent robbery. It was only a deathbed confession that implicated Kvatch this time. Though still pragmatic and oddly willing to continue to press hard despite his depressive state, these sorts of things were starting to weigh heavy on Ioannes. He had Woodroot's noble court well in pocketbook by this point, so decided that now he would shift to a new plan. Strengthen the nobles to strongarm the clergy, and even though more than half of Kvatch's plots had not been detected, maybe the junior members that were now suddenly in charge would get the picture. As yet another secondary strategy, Ioannes also instructed, or asked rather, the local clergy in Kvatch proper to begin more outreach campaigns to involve the public. With a little luck, Kvatch could strengthen it's own religious image and maybe start to compete for regional followers like Woodroot, Trumble, and the Mothists were, especially with the succession of dubious spiritual leaders in the Imperial City.

8jRsd6v.jpg

bdUh3pa.jpg

Saying the peace lasted long would technically be even more untrue here than if the claim had been made after the Chaos. Barely a month had passed since his son's death when Ioannes recieved an urgent letter from Skingrad. The Mane was making a counter attack! Urgent support was requested. Once eager for expansion, protectorism, and glory, Ioannes II now stiffened. He pledged to aid his ally, of course, but could not commit his battered army at this time. Skingrad could make an excellent go of the situation themselves. Their army was still in tip top shape. It might get a bit hairy for awhile though, if you pardon the reference to Khajit anatomy. In the grand scheme of things, Kvatch might actually be helped if Skingrad faced a few more setbacks, as cold as it might sound, and as disreputable as it might be to avoid giving one's utmost to support in-laws. As that war was going on, Ioannes granted another reuqest the next year, from the Heartlands with which Kvatch still had some ties. It was one of the many times the broken Republic tried to make a resurgence, attacking an independent Northern Duchy for more de facto control of their de jure lands. Ioannes promised material and financial support, but once again, no troops. The end result of this conflict is lost to history, as the area around the Imperial City was so unstable, and only increasingly so at this time. Skingrad, meanwhile, would eventually rebuff the Khajits in mid 2E 517.

XmChBSs.jpg

2PPRS2O.jpg

(Area of Khajit Counterattack)

j8t7Dqc.jpg

The Atticus family fell on some relatively hard times too, though relatively is really the key word. Most of their troubles seemed to revolve around the marriages of Allian's younger brothers, the twins Mercator and Denel. There was real concern now as to ensuring these two would be in a good place of power should anything happen to the main line. Ioannes' previous meddling with his family's marriages in such a public and calculating way was coming back to haunt him, though. Other noble families were now slightly wary of any arrangements he proposed due to a slight lack of trust.

The slightly older twin, arriving one minute before his brother, was Mercator. He studied the art of subterfuge in an attempt to help with the glaring gap in Kvatch's intrigue. He was a good study, and knew a lot of the theory that had been said on the subject, but when it came to practice he simply wasn't cut out for any such job. He was passable at diplomacy, but he would not make a very good ruler. He knew it too, and thankfully was not resentful. Mercator much preferred to live the life, rather than walk the walk. He was eventually able to find a bride in Oriella Black-Briar, a Nord noble a few years his senior and likewise lacking talent for most things. She could manage finances, but only on paper, because otherwise she was almost crippled by social anxiety. Furthermore, she liked to retreat into fantasy almost to the point of unhealthiness. She was very much a Nord supremacist, and enjoyed pretending to be one of the famous warriors from the First Era, but lacked any military talent of her own whatsoever.

cP03TVB.jpg

TKTBVRj.jpg

The more talented of the pair was Denel, but only slightly. He was at least minimally able in all areas a ruler might need to be, though excelled in none, nor was even average in ability. His redeeming feature, though, was that he was quite the charmer, especially among young ladies. Therefore, it was quite a shock when he was rejected by the King of the Heartlands to marry one of his daughters, especially as the one Denel had taken a liking too was last in succession. Only speculation exists, but one common theory is that the King was a bit disgruntled that Kvatch never sent troops to assist in his various small wars.

As luck would have it, when Denel set out looking for a small adventure to clear his mind one of his first stops was Valtgard, in Skyrim. He was there to witness a new Thane arise, a girl of only 17 years of age and replacing her recently deceased father. Accounts of Thane Rigmor describe her looks as quite stunning, with a quick wit to go along as well. Denel was instantly taken with her. Rigmor seemed to appreciate Denel's humor, even if she could see right through his attempts to appear a competent adviser. In short order they had arranged a marriage. Denel would stay in Valtgard, and though without a landed title of his own, Valtgard would be in the Atticus name for the next generation.

6FW7mI8.jpg

gVMXQbs.jpg

In mid 2E 518 Ioannes arranged the formal transfer and legal integration of the Duchy of Arenthia into the Kingdom proper. This expanded on the powers he had taken as protector of the county, gave him legitimate avenues to persue into surrounding Valenwood, and, most importantly, immediately upgraded Arenthia's status from protectorate to near-full realm asset. On paper there were still quite a few differences, but they were mostly ceremonial or relating to titles and protocol. There were no illusions that Kvatch wanted to take the Mer into equal partnership, but at the same time, they were willing to make their protectorates into integral regions of the Kingdom, and at least try to accommodate the Mer if possible. Further expansion was on hold indefinitely, though, as the army needed a rest. Anvil was having severe trouble governing their colonies as well, which made support for any more moves hit an all time low.

V3vpQsi.jpg

The weight of being King was dragging Ioannes down, but for 5 more years he ruled effectively, if cynically. Then, in Rain's Hand of 2E 519 a crisis struck that would prove to be the final straw. The army was recovering slower than expected. It weighed particularly heavy on Ioannes' mind, but he was not the only one who was thinking about it. For some time the Westerners had been silent, recovering from their own troubles. Then, without warning, the ruler of Rihad declared war and stormed the border. Skingrad would be called as had become standard, but the speed of the attack stunned all of Kvatch. The local garrison fled back to Linchal, where an army was being raised, but was still severely beaten.

6WDVM6e.jpg

vc05UPG.jpg

The situation was only made worse by a rapid series of family drama and tragedy. First, just as Linchal was gearing up to be a mustering ground for the army, some sub-branches of that side of the Atticus line moved against other branches. Dan, a known vampire, was arrested and imprisoned for the rest of his (un)natural life. Vampirism was not permitted, of course, but was very narrowly tolerated since some nobles had been outed, so long as they kept a very, very low profile. Dan was not arrested for that, however, but because he had started to dabble in necromancy. He didn't so much cross the line as take a sprinting leap across it. He was the current heir to the Duchy, which meant there would most definitely be trouble and instability in the future. There was little Ioannes could do about the situation at the moment though, and probably very little that would have worked fast even if there was not a war on.

WfgvnIj.jpg

A few days later, Queen Gianna died suddenly. She was 64, and as far as anyone could tell, it was simply her time to depart. That did not stop the event from driving into the Atticus family like a warhammer. Ioannes locked himself in his chambers for close to two full days without nary a trace of food or drink, only finally emerging because the Queen Mother, his mother, had entered into a period of dementia, brought on by infection and highly advanced age. This was troublesome because she was still the sitting marshal after all these years, but Ioannes could not care less about the war by this point. It was purely personal. Despite the best efforts of healers, though, Vittoria left Mundas a few weeks later. In her last days Ioannes insisted on waiting on her hand and foot, despite Vittoria not even recognizing him by the end of her days.

sUGvMSc.jpg

AXeF3lx.jpg

For a few months it looked as if Ioannes was going to be unable to continue. He did not lock himself away again, but was unfocused, most of the time not even responding when his advisers asked for direction. He was slowly coaxed out of his depression by a woman named Marthe, originally an agent from the Heartlands, she was in Kvatch on friendly terms. Eventually, liking the city so much, she decided to make it her permanent court. She had never taken a very active role before, enjoying being along for the ride well enough, but now when everyone seemed so directionless she stepped forward. In his time of need, Marthe became a close friend and confident of Ioannes', despite being a few decades his junior. It is believed the relationship was strictly platonic, Ioannes' womanzing ways having been forcefully expunged over the past 5 years, but that didn't stop people from calling Marthe the unofficial Queen of Kvatch, for all her assistance. It was a favorable nick-name, not malicious at all. Without her, Kvatch's ruling caste could have faced serious collapse.

AEpFZNB.jpg

Some time would be needed to recover from so many blows before the battles even began. Once mustered the sum of Kvatch's forces were less than what scouts reported Rihad had in the field. This was most definitely not good. One positive was that the tresury was full, though. Ioannes had been in the process of stockpiling gold, ironically in preparation for building more fortifications against Kvatch. Sacrificing that long term goal, in the short term a few thousand mercenaries could be hired to help equalize the balance. Still, it would be mid 2E 520 before the army would be ready to march now. Skingrad's army would arrive in the area first. While letting them do all the work might releave some strain, it was hardly good for Kvatch's reputation either in terms of honor, or in terms of how foreign powers saw their strength. The army would therefore have to march, no matter what outcome Skingrad obtained in battle, but the wait would be agonizingly long.

Hin9fhT.jpg

One bright spot in the darkness was that Vinicia Tor, Ioannes' bastard daughter, came of age that winter. Though at birth he denounced her, now he wanted to make amends. She had been apprenticing under an extremely powerful mage, and at the ceremony to release her from her master it was said Ioannes' tearfully embraced her, promising as soon as he was back from campaign he would 'make things right', heavily implying that he would finally legitimize her. For her part, Vinicia was fully forgiving, and eager to join the court. Her powers would have made an awesome difference on the battlefield, but early in her training she had also foresworn violence of any sort. It was a decision well respected, despite the circumstances. It was also comforting to know that despite great power, the power did not corrupt all mages.

LSFZokj.jpg

Ioannes set off a few days later, in the dead of winter. The trip was relatively long, and the roads were practically non-existent in that region in that time. As luck would happen, he would catch up with Skingrad, because the allied army had been delayed in the Colovian Estates by bandit raids, a sign of a problem for a future date most likely. As they approached Hafar, though, something weird happened. Rihad's army melted away in retreat.

Both armies were confused, but slowly advanced. Soon they saw why Nistacey had withdrawn. Rihad was in Civil War once more, worse than before! Last time could have been described as a large uprising type event, but this time the battlelines were drawn exactly in two, with a few holdings trying to stake it out on their own! The timing could not have been better, but there was one last surprise left in store...

xboxVKn.jpg

---------------

Desert Camp, on Campaign
1:07 PM, 5 Midyear, 2E 520

"Grandfather, you must eat lunch. The men are nearly done, and we will be continuing on soon. A man of you-"

"A man of my age can eat whenever he wants, Allian. I could eat before everyone rises, after everyone goes to bed. I could even halt this caravan and eat all day long, if I so desired. I am King, after all." Ioannes sarcastically smirked, not even turning around when Allian came up behind him surveying the desert ahead. Sensing Allian's frustration, he sighed and softened. "I'm not hungry, but thank you. Do not worry, I'll be fine." He idly rubbed at his left elbow, an old war wound from a previous war.

"Begging your pardon, grandfather, but there are men who are physically twice as fit as you passing out from the heat, I'm not sure how you can say you are fine." Allian sighed as well, but knew he would not get anywhere on the matter, as was standard.

"Experience, lad. Some day you will see that." That brought a small chuckle, showing Ioannes was at least in half a good mood right now.

Allian grumbled under his breath, shaking his head. "I'm not a boy anymore grandfather."

"Oh? Is that so? Hmmm..." The King digested this as if it was new information, still not turning around. An awkward silence followed, which he eventually broke. "All in good time, Allian. All in good time. I will say, I'm quite happy you are joining us this time, but you have much to learn still."

"I know! But I need to learn these things! But how can I when you're always holding me back!" Allian was rash as a youngster, but not anymore. Occasionally a glimmer shown threw when he was particularly upset, but overall Allian had very good self-control, a skill he had worked tirelessly on since around age 15.

"I'm not holding you back." In momentary anger, Allian had failed to notice Ioannes had left his words to hang for a moment. The King finally turned around, a sad smile on his face. "This isn't how you learn, Allian. Learning only comes as learning sees fit. Some day you'll know what I mean." He shook his head and held a hand to stifle Allian's protest. "I know, I know, it's frustrating. But believe me, what is going to happen is going to happen. You can't fight it, only choose to embrace it or not. You're doing fine, for what it's worth, but you can't force it come faster."

Allian wanted to protest more, but knew it was useless. Furthermore, he wasn't one to repeat himself, and he was at a point where he would only be doing so if he continued. "Are you sure you won't eat? It's a shame to let any food go to waste once it's been prepared."

Ioannes's sad smile slowly became more genuine. "Now THAT, Allian, is how you convince an old man to eat. Let's go see what the cooks have left." He walked closer and wrapped an arm around his grandson, who was now about an inch or so taller than him. He was shrinking in his old age, and the damned strain of old injuries was starting to get to his posture, though not too much as of yet. "That was exactly what I meant, by the way. You have to find the answer on your own, not steal it from someone else. You may not get it the first, or second, or even third time, but you're smart. You get it eventually."

Allian groaned, but was smiling now too, helping his grandfather towards the main camp. "I suppose. I only wish it FELT like progress, rather than failure."

"Believe me, when you get to be my age, you have 'failed' more often than succeeded. Yet here I am, a successful King. As you will be someday."

"Yeah... someday... ugh, let's not think about that now, let's just eat."

"Indeed, let's eat!"

---------------

On the morning of the 6th of Midyear, 2E 520, Ioannes II died. The long winter's journey, followed by the intense desert sun of Midyear were just too much on an aging man, one burdened by physical an emotional scars untold. He was found with a smile on his face. Despite going through intense personal darkness, he knew the time was right.

oxAHLL9.jpg

-----------------

List of Kings of Kvatch

1. Ioannes I (the Just), ruled 1 Morning Star, 2E 442- 3 Sun's Dawn, 2E 501
2. Ioannes II (the Exalted), ruled 3 Sun's Dawn, 2E 501-6 Midyear, 2E 520
3. Allian, ruled 6 Midyear, 2E 520-

So much scheming in the last two posts! Attempted murders, wars, and imprisonment! :confused: :p