No Step Back: Post your favourite railroad and supply hub adventures

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

seattle

Field Marshal
50 Badges
Apr 2, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Knights of Honor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities in Motion
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
Love the new railroad system and now I can finally put the Strategic Command series to rest.
Let's collect some fun examples how you guys were using the railroad system to your advantage, be it in offensives or on the defence.

I'll start with my first game as ironman Germany in NSB.
Built lvl 5 railroads from Berlin to the Soviet border before the start of Barb. Felt confident that we'd be home before the leafs fall.
To my surprise I got stuck before Riga in the north while making zero headway in the south.
With some heavy micro'ing I managed to get breakthroughs with my tanks in the centre to Minsk and then Gomel, while the southern front eventually managed to close the pocket along the railroad north of Kiev.

I basically bum-rushed along railroads with the objective to capture all supply depots and create the biggest possible pockets.
Finally before the start of winter I created these two pockets which resulted in 1.2 million Soviet casualties once cleared.

Btw.: I created two light inf. armies for the purpose of clearing pockets (the rifle icon ones that surround the pocket). That helps a lot cause once a pocket is created, I immediately assign the regular infantry army group back to the front line and thus avoid the horrible unit shuffling.

Now let's see some of your examples!

1638043726797.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
In a similar fashion, I had some fun planning for Barbarossa. I had something like 30 tanks divisions all targeting supply hubs (as noted through the spearheads) to cripple the soviet army's supplies and give times for the railroads to convert.

To my surprise, I found out that even after such tactics to destroy the initial defense I still got bogged down. A combination of supply loss due to destruction and repairing of supply stopped my advance.
Overall, I'm loving the more strategic aspects that this update has introduced.
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 4.30.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 2.08.57 PM.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
When I first read about the Stalingrad achievement, I immediately thought: oh crap, the Axis a.i. is going to screw me over by taking Stalingrad and thus denying me the achievement. Turns out that PDS thought of that and when my Italian a.i. buddy took Stalingrad which I carefully circumvented on my way to Magnitorsk, the achievement still triggered when the Soviets surrendered.

1638051966398.png

Reactions: