• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would hope for CiM2 feature such as line management with time tables (and slow time passing to have sense of it) as an add-on to Cities:Skylines. Or CiM3 with possibility to use maps from Skylines.

Im hesitant to say that they are not interested, more that they know that Cities in Motion is a more mass market game and id be supprised if they wenr making more off it. They only have a small team team and it develop CIM3 would either mean increasing that team or diverting reasources away from Cities Skylines. I asked them a year ago on a reddit AMA about cim3 and was told:
Question: Well there ever be a cities in motion 3?
Answer: I really hope so. So many lessons learned and bunch of ideas ready to be implemented :) If we only had the time!
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...nd_cities_skylines_getting/cvao48m/?context=3

While I agree the game has problems I dont think it should be withdrawn, just make it clear in the description that these features are no longer availbe and lower the price as some old multiplayer games have done now that the servers have shut down and only single player is availbe.

Was recently thinking about this game after the Mass Transit DLC for CSL.

I have to say, that between the DLCs and mods, CSL is everything I could want. I couldn't go back to the now horrifically dated looking CiM2 if I tried.

Holy crap; the Metro Overhaul Mod makes CiM2 look like a bad knock off. Traffic president Mod gives fine traffic management control(customize lane directions, timed traffic lights, Halle-f-ing-lujah!!!), and many features are now standard in the game. I initially hated CSL's road building engine versus the seemly more versatile CiM2 road building, but between the updates and mods it's incredibly powerful now. Add the advance public transport mods, with the stuff added in the Mass Transit update, and I now have almost zero desire for a CiM3. Sure I'll miss things like timetables and rush hours, but I'd still take the whole overall package of CSL. I can be a transportation nut while also building and running my city. Sorry guys, I hate to say it.

Last edited:
I would say that Cities Skylines is a VERY GOOD replacement for Cities in Motion with the fact that, as previously mentioned, the Mass Transit DLC and many mods make for VERY powerful public transit simulation. As for the missing Rush Hour, there is a mod for that (I think it is actually called rush hour).
However, Skylines is an AWEFUL replacement due to the fact that it is such a demanding game and it performs like crap unless you have a really good gaming PC. I have a gaming PC (lower-ish end) and with no mods, I still can no longer run the game in a playable state, and as mentioned previously, mods are very much needed for Skylines to replicate Cities in Motion.
But, as usual, that is an example of society leaving behind those who cannot afford to upgrade. I am not upset about that fact, it is just how it works, which unfortunately means that a Cities in Motion 3 will ever come out. It is like Rockstar's Midnight Club. You wont be seeing any more of those because the "Race Mode" of Grand Theft Auto has replaced it.
So, to answer the Original Question: I don't think a Cities in Motion 3 will ever be released, and Cities: Skylines can be a "replacement" but only if you have a good enough computer for an overly-complicated game for a rather simple feature that is Cities in Motion.

I don't think CO are interested. They are making so much money from Cites Skylines DLCs that they are not interested in doing anything else.

This isn't so. They have said that they are working on something else; IIRC it was in answer to a thread on the CS forum. They are now a much larger team--more than twice as many as the original 9. What they're working on they, of course, haven't said.