• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GSS_

Captain of the Tercio
60 Badges
Jun 20, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings III
Hi all, I just bought Victoria 2 this Christmas and I'm new to the game. While I am liking the characteristics it has (production, budget, population, political reforms...) it also seems the most complex of Paradox games, perhaps also because of the oldest aesthetic it has (after all, it's from 2010), so there are a lot of concepts and mechanics that completely escape me. And yes, I have already done all three tutorials (from basic to advanced) but sometimes I get lost in that huge amount of text. Maybe the community can help me better so:

1.- What advice would you give or what is the most important thing a beginner should know about Victoria 2?

2.- Which nation is the most recommended to start with, without it being too boring or too difficult?

By the way, I have tried watching videos and gameplays but I think the best way to learn is by starting to play. Thanks.

Welcome to Victoria 2!

1. If you search for it there should guides on example economics (related to spheres and production of goods) and naval warfare (these two that I can think of from my head). The most important advice that I can give is that which you buy goods from the world market, the buyer with the highest prestige goes first so you want to have as high a prestige rank as possible. Also if you are going to wage long and bloody wars I always build the military goods factories and subsidise them. That way even if they go negative in peace time you will always have a supply of goods for your military units (and don't forget clipper/steamer factories for the boats). This probably extends to certain consumer goods in the late game like cars, electric parts, radios etc.

TL;DR Build factories of the goods that you need to build troops and ships and subsides them so they never close.

2. I would say start with USA. You get to do everything from economics, warfare, politics etc. plus it is relatively easy as your only opponents are Mexico and later CSA (UK and Canada are optional). You also get to play around with immigration which will in the later part of the game bolster your nation tremendously.

Reactions:
1. As for general advise I would give you this:

a. Watch your infamy levels. Make sure it never goes above 25 because otherwise your nation will get overwhelmed with wars.
b. Only industrialize when the time is right. Building factories is a core component of the game, but factories in the early game will be unprofitable for most countries. Wait until you have a higher literacy rate and more technology until you industrialize (though there are exceptions like the USA and countries in Northwestern Europe which can industrialize immediately). Once you start building factories, build liquor, wine and (if you have coal) glass factories as for some reason every Pop in this game is an alcoholic.
c. Be sure to pass reforms. Passing reforms gets you more immigrants as a New World nation and it is a great way to deal with militancy when necessary.

2. Nations I would recommend are the USA, Brazil and Prussia. The USA is a more relaxed nation as the nation grows and industrializes by itself. All you have to do is intervene in Texas, fight against Mexico and fight against the Confederacy. Brazil is a weaker country but has plenty of military expansion opportunities as its the strongest in its region. Its harder to industrialize as Brazil but its still possible. Brazil gets immigrants as well as an added bonus. Prussia is probably the hardest of the 3 but it is given lots of opportunity to expand and industrialize. It can form Germany which makes it a pretty strong nation.

Reactions:
Another consideration is that the top 8 "Great Powers" can colonize, and have "Spheres of Influence". The latter is essentially a game in itself, and is extremely micro-management heavy to avoid having your diplomats suffer unexpected Discredits, Expulsions, and Bans in your target countries as a result of competitors getting one up on you. Playing a country such as Brazil or Sweden will allow you to learn how to manage a decent sized country without the pressure of having to deal with a SoI. Note that a country in a SoI has access to that SoI's products before other countries on the world market, although the Sphere Leader will get first pick of everything in their own sphere. Several countries (such as Prussia) can form larger countries (Germany, Italy) if they can get ALL of the required pieces either annexed or into their Sphere of Influence.

Secondary powers can colonize and perform a few other actions which a mere civilized country cannot, and uncivilized countries are even more restricted.

As said, the USA is a relatively safe start (unless you manage to lose to Mexico), but they can easily get dragged into an early war against the UK over the New England states, so don't ignore your diplomacy or military, and don't forget that you can have allies and a Sphere of Influence of your own.

Prussia is by far the best for learning how to manage and dominate a Sphere of Influence, and makes for a good second or third game, once you understand the basics. Note that you do not NEED to fight ANY wars to form the North German Federation, if you can bring Saxony, Hannover, and Holstein into your sphere (Luxemburg is optional). Saxony will require a bit of skill or luck in a direct influence duel (or a war with Austria) to pull out of Austria's Sphere, and Holstein can either be sphered or else annexed by force practically from the start of the campaign (along with some high-literacy Danish land, if you don't mind a few more points of Infamy), while Hannover will leave the UK's sphere of influence in just a few years when Victoria is crowned, and can VERY easily be reeled in. Forming Germany from NGF will then require sphering Bavaria, Wurtemburg, and Baden, plus prying Alsace-Lorraine out of France's cold dead hands (definitely needs a war), and Austria can be knocked out of Great Power status and added to form the German Empire if you're able to pull it off.

Brazil makes for a relatively safe learning experience, and is a "big fish in a small pond", but no match for any of the major powers until relatively late in the game, although it's quite possible to work your way into Secondary Power status much earlier. They do have serious cash problems at the start, so getting them up and running can be a little bit tricky for a new player. Once you get the ball rolling, however, they've got access to some decent resources, except for coal, which then needs to be a priority if you want to achieve GP status.

Ultimately, no matter which country you choose, your first step is to manage a positive cash flow. This can involve, depending on which country you play, either raising taxes to, or close to, 100% (your low tax efficiency means that the ACTUAL tax will be far lower), boosting Tariffs (which has the down side of limiting any imports needed by your own Artisans and factories, as well as by consumer pops), and/or promoting Bureaucrats with your National Focus point(s), to increase tax efficiency. Meanwhile, as tax efficiency increases and your cash flow grows, taxes can be gradually reduced to allow your pops to buy more and more of what you're producing. I tend to rely on initial heavy taxes, and boosting Bureaucrats as quickly as possible, while keeping tariffs low in order to allow my Artisans to function effectively until I've got enough Literacy to make factories practical. You need around 40 Literacy for Clerks, otherwise it's very difficult to get enough of them to help your industries. Eventually, the factories will make your Artisans mostly irrelevant, and you'll WANT them to promote or demote to other occupations. Depending on your ruling party, you may be able to build the industries you want, or to subsidize the more important industries to prevent them from closing during periodic economic downturns, or in some cases may be unable to intervene in the economy at all. You can change your ruling party by decree in most countries, but it WILL increase Militancy, so use it with caution. It's often beneficial to change to a Reactionary government at the start of industrialization, build the vital industries you need for solid a foundation, and then switch back to a Conservative or Liberal government and let it run mostly or entirely on its own.

The second step is usually to begin promoting Clerics, who will improve your country's Literacy (up to a max of 4% of your population as clerics) and their Consciousness (which increases pop demands for more goods and more favorable legislation), reduce Militancy (militancy is a BAD thing, it makes your pops more likely to revolt), and add Research points (up to 2.0% of your population as clerics). The down side is that the increased Literacy will gradually lead to increased Consciousness. Militancy is a short-term problem, serious but it burns off quickly. Consciousness is far less dangerous in the short run, but has long-term effects (particularly for non-accepted culture pops) and is harder to get rid of, and having some small amount of Consciousness can be beneficial for various other reasons.

Ideally, in most cases I use my NF points to boost Bureaucrats until I've got a stable income base, then switch over to boosting Clerics for at least the first half of the game.

Note that you can get a lot more detailed view of what's happening, and why, by looking at the individual provinces' pops. Click on the province, and then on the small box in the middle of the right-hand side of the province window, which will bring up the pop information. You can see how many pops of each class or profession are getting their needs met, how literate they are, how many are promoting or demoting, and so on. Understanding what makes your pops do what you want them to do is at least half the battle.

Passing reforms can be a good or a bad thing. The political reforms are useful for burning off high Militancy, but ultimately take control away from your central authority (you as a player), and tend to require more and more reforms as it goes. The social reforms mostly end up costing money or reducing the efficiency of your industries, but include a few real gems such as Health Care which increases the growth rate of your population, and Education reforms which increase Literacy. Running out of reforms to pass too soon in the game can be a major problem, leaving you with no way to deal with Militancy other than shooting the frequently spawning rebels and thereby lowering your country's population. Unlike other games where rebels appear out of thin air and have no effect when they're gone, those are your own people, and killing too many of them actually reduces your power as a country. Besides, having your army fighting against a million rebels is no fun at all, especially after the third or fourth time, because you then have to somehow find replacement troops from those pops you just shot. Also unlike many other games, war is primarily a tool of diplomacy, and an expensive one, so "playing tall" and staying out of wars entirely, or at least as much as possible, is a very valid strategy for a lot of countries. Don't expand for the mere sake of expansion, especially if you can get what you want through diplomacy, or by sphering a source of essential raw materials. That, of course, goes out the window once the colonization race begins, where it's a "grab as much as you can" frenzy with no Infamy down side to it.

The Victoria 2 wiki is a great source of information, and includes detailed descriptions and charts of nearly all of the events, decisions, and game mechanics, as well as strategy guides and suggestions for running practically every country.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I'll second the Prussia recommendation. I tried the USA as my first "real" playthrough, but Prussia for my second, and I found I learned more in that second campaign and enjoyed it better. Prussia in this game is like the Ottomans in EU4—you get to have your hands in the action, somewhat unlike the USA or Brazil in the new world, and you can play suboptimally because you don't understand everything but have enough of a cushion to still be fine. You can industrialize almost on autopilot and still be strong, Prussia -> NGF -> German Empire has plenty of flavor to be engaging, and by mid-game you can be strong enough to throw your weight around without too much fear.

Also, since no one seems to have pointed it out, many/most(/perhaps almost all) players would recommend installing one of the big mods like PDM, HPM, or HFM. Most of them do a lot of similar things, and all of them have some take on the ethos of improving the core game experience, so which one you choose is a bit like picking a flavor of ice cream—personal preference, but they're all better than just vanilla.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: