• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Deuterium Oxide

Distribution Manager
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Jan 13, 2014
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
At long last Launcher version 2021.7.1 is out, and it's pretty meaty - Which it should be, being the first new version in quite a few weeks!

Introduction
For quite some time we have been introducing distribution client functionality into the launcher v2, with the eventual goal of retiring the old v1 that has long been the mainstay client of our own distribution backend. The v1 client will still be available through Play Paradoxplaza but with time we hope to replace it with v2.

Hopefully this will end the confusion as to what the "Paradox Launcher" actually is - Seeing as v1 is a distribution client and v2 has been more of a splash screen - v2 will take on both roles in a short while, and this beta is the first user-facing step towards that goal. Mind that there are still a couple of features missing in v2 - We'll be working on closing the gap in the coming few versions.

But why, you ask? There are several reasons:
  • Reduced maintenance burden with fewer pieces of software to security patch and keep up to date
  • Ability to use distribution-type functionality in games that have need for it (seasonal content patches for example)
  • More robust, and better maintained, download and install functionality
  • Wider operating system support for the distribution platform. With v2 2021.7.1 we extend the use of our own distribution backend for the first time to Mac users.

What's new
The major new feature in this beta is the ability to start the launcher in standalone mode. In practical terms, this simply means starting the launcher executable directly from your operating system, rather than from a third-party client (such as the Steam client, GOG Galaxy, the Epic launcher etc). The launcher in standalone mode will connect to our distribution backend, retrieve your ownership and offer you games to install.

Please be aware that PDX ownership and game availability is separate and distinct from Steam, Epic etc. Likewise, the game versions available are different and will install in different locations as compared to Steam or other distribution clients.

What do I own?
If you ever bought something from the Paradox Plaza store, you'll have ownership of that game / DLC on our backend. We also integrate Steam ownership so that you should also be able to download and play games you own on Steam through the PDX Distribution system, and hence through the standalone launcher.

As stated above, game availability is not the same as on Steam, and you may find that there are titles missing - This is normally due to the fact that older titles simply do not exist in versions that are adapted to the PDX ecosystem of services and hence not available through the PDX distribution channel.

I can't stand waiting for the missing features! How do I run it standalone anyway?
In order to run the launcher in standalone mode, do this:

Navigate to
Code:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher
Double-click on
Code:
bootstrapper-v2

Navigate to
Code:
Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive
Double-click on
Code:
bootstrapper-v2

Run
Code:
~/.paradoxlauncher/boostrapper-v2

But that's not all!

We have a raft of other changes apart from standalone mode!

• Standalone mode (see above)
  • Importing and exporting playsets to JSON files
  • Better UI performance on long mods lists
  • Fixed detection of newly connected / disconnected monitor
  • Localization fixes
  • Fixed links in Terms of Use document (that I'm sure all of you read carefully!)
  • Removed spurious mod name truncation (again!)
  • Fixed broken DLC ownership checks - GeForce NOW only
  • Improved error handling when Xbox Game Pass app is not installed - GamePass only

And that should cover it, pretty much.

Be well.
D2O

@Deuterium Oxide this is great news! But how does a non-Steam user on MacOS get hold of installation files for launcher v2 2021.7.1 so they can then run the command above?

OK, colour me confused.

I buy a Paradox game on Steam. I install it, and it creates a clickable icon on my desktop. I click it, and the launcher *for that game* runs...
Sometimes it doesn't fully load the mods 1st time, but then I can simply close it and try again, and it works correctly. Annoying, but hardly unplayable.

What's all this stuff you posted above all about? I couldn't decipher it at all.

any info on the 2021.9 beta? what notifications is it going to show?

edit: apparently, it shows a notification for when the launcher update is ready
1636560236430.png

would be great if it also said you should restart the launcher for it to apply and showed/linked you to a changelog
Edit: there is now a prompt to restart the launcher! Very nice.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: