• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(129533)

First Lieutenant
Dec 24, 2008
Could someone be really kind and make a flag like the Holy Roman Empires flag (the one which Austria gets if they are voted emperor in AGCEEP), but with the left half made like the swedish flag?
That would be übercool, and you may wonder why I want it.
History lesson:

During the 30-year wars (the war between protestants and catholics), it went bad for the protestants in the beginning.
Then, swedish king Gustav II Adolf entered the protestant side, and from that moment, until the kings death in Lützen 1632, the protestants won almost every battle.
So, if Gustav II Adolf (or his real name: Gustav Adolf the Great*) had been left alive throughout the war, he would probably had become emperor of Europe.
* = The Swedish Riksdag decided in 1634 to change the kings name from Gustav II Adolf to Gustav Adolf den Store (the Great), and since then, no one has changed that.

EDIT: Perhaps the Three Crowns in the left half instead of swedish flag, depends on what is easiest.

So, if Gustav II Adolf (or his real name: Gustav Adolf the Great*) had been left alive throughout the war, he would probably had become emperor of Europe.

No way that Gustav would have become Emperor. Even when he would have achieved victory over the german catholics, the Emperor (Habsburg) ruled still over Spain and do you really think that Gustav would have won against France and Spain? Do you really think that the pope would have crowned a protestant?

The Habsburg "Empire" would most likely had lost the war if Gustav was left alive, and who wants an Emperor that cannot protect the true faith against hereticfaiths?
And during this time, the popes were most of the time corrupted, nepotical, naive and easily-manipulated, also this was the last war between religions (however, catholic France supported protestant Sweden, so how much religion was really involved?) and if Gustav Adolf the Great proved to be the greatest king, leader and warlord of Europe, the pope would have had little choice, besides I am only speculating here.

EDIT: And as you rightfully point out, Sweden would probably not have survived a war against France AND Spain, but as I pointed out, France supported Sweden against the spanish-austrian line of emperors.

RE-EDIT: Besides many of the large former-catholic countries were turning to protestantism, however not mainly because of the religion, but of the money that could be made. Henry VIII contra Bloody Mary contra ??? for example. Catholicism was not as important as once was. Mainly, you were looking for an emperor to protect Europe from islam (the Osman Empire) and secondly against other branches of catholicism.

The Habsburg "Empire" would most likely had lost the war if Gustav was left alive, and who wants an Emperor that cannot protect the true faith against hereticfaiths?
How many swedish soldiers were fighting in Spain to state the Habsburg empire was about to lose? Even with a surviving Gustav, Ferdinand would have stayed Emperor. :)
Besides: It was no european Emperorship, it was a german! The name of the empire was Holy Roman Empire of German Nation. It was not a religious title that could be claimed by anyone who wants it, it was a national title that states supremacy over all german lords and not over all christian lords.. From 800 to 1806, only germans had the title and that was not randomly. ;)

How many swedish soldiers were fighting in Spain to state the Habsburg empire was about to lose? Even with a surviving Gustav, Ferdinand would have stayed Emperor. :)
Besides: It was no european Emperorship, it was a german! The name of the empire was Holy Roman Empire of German Nation. It was not a religious title that could be claimed by anyone who wants it, it was a national title that states supremacy over all german lords and not over all christian lords.. From 800 to 1806, only germans had the title and that was not randomly. ;)

See? :) Now you're making sense, logical arguments backed up with historical facts. That I respect, and therefor I surrender. However, I did not start this thread to argue with you (even though it's fun), but rather to ask if anyone could make me the flag :)

IMO sweden could have won the war if gustav stayed alive.

France, Savoy and Venice supported the protestants as they did not want to see a Spain - Austrian union.

So, he could have won , but being Emperor is very very unlikely, the emperor would have gone to PFA - the first aggressor of the HRE in the 30YW

I never said it was likely :p But how likely is tha fact that in EUII both England, Poland AND (actually) Sweden can become emperor?
'Cause in EUII the one who has the best relations with all the electors win, now that is democracy at its finest.

EDIT:...Stop changing subject dudes!

Last edited:
Some historians say it was Gustavus dream to unite all protestant countries in an empire similar to the Holy Roman Empire.