• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, but the inverse is that your torso is lost and you lose the arm with the gun and any armor/IS it may have provided to soak damage. If that torso also carried energy weapons slots, you may have a dead weight, but the other weapons can still fire. It's a question with no 100% correct answer and is also changed by what chassis and role the unit is built for.
And also the burn rate of the ammo in question and how much you have. If you regularly end your battles low or empty with that weapon, the torso may be the better location for it, but for a weapon where you constantly have a lot of ammo left over -- I'm thinking stuff like the Grasshopper's LRM-5 here -- you might be better served by putting it in the arm.

So here's a thought problem:

Where is the optimal place to store ammo in HBS's system?

This is actually a profound question, as I mull it. I'd been taking a functionality view before, but maybe I should be taking a cost view. If all the weapons are on one side of the 'Mech and nothing is on the other, it's probably better to store it on the other side. It would be destroyed either way, but at least in this instance it wouldn't take all the weapons with it. The tricky part comes when you've got expensive equipment everywhere. In that case, I'd probably opt for the side torsos. I'd still never put it in the CT.

This is actually a profound question, as I mull it. I'd been taking a functionality view before, but maybe I should be taking a cost view. If all the weapons are on one side of the 'Mech and nothing is on the other, it's probably better to store it on the other side. It would be destroyed either way, but at least in this instance it wouldn't take all the weapons with it. The tricky part comes when you've got expensive equipment everywhere. In that case, I'd probably opt for the side torsos. I'd still never put it in the CT.

But what if you are at end game level and the total cost of the tricked out equipment is far greater than the cost of the unit they ride on? To use a depreciated beta weapon - The lostech LRM20+Artemis IV was 3.5mil each. Two of those on a CPLT chassis is more than the chassis base cost of 5.5million. Throw in some expensive other bits and cleanly losing the CT might actually be the most economical means of destruction.

I suppose it makes sense to just locate the ammo with the launcher. Where would you stow 5 tons of LRM ammo on a 55t mech? Most with the launcher and the rest in the offside leg? I think head storage is fine for TT. In HBS game, ammo and the pilot would be the only crits available. Hmm, actually I think it is even better to put ammo there in HBS version. If you are below half ammo, you just saved the pilot. If not, the pilot will not care which slot gets hit. :)
Well... not necessarily.

In the beta, there was no cockpit crit slot available. Seeing as how Dev Q&As have indicated that pilot mission kills have a chance of long-term survival, storing ammo in the head may or may not be a good idea, but it will depend on a critical detail we don't have yet:

If the head is destroyed entirely, what are the odds the pilot will survive?
(I'd expect this to be very low, but it might not actually be zero.)

By contrast, I would expect that if an ammo explosion is triggered in the head then the result would be a flat-out, no-questions-asked, dead zero chance of survival.

Ammo in the Center Torso is just silly, everyone knows ammo goes in the Head :).

That ammo bin gives the pilot something to sit on while piloting, and besides, it's extra motivation not to get hit. Win-Win.

Well, it works in MWO anyway :)

Better a living coward than a dead Hero. The graveyards are full of dead Heroes. :D

Not to mention, when you are the leader of a mercenary company, it is bad for business.

Yeah it's one of those hard decisions.

Run the risk of a CT ammo explosion or run the risk of a torso explosion? Or try putting the ammo in the arm?

Each decision has it's pros and cons.

Centre torso - Pro - most heavily armored section of the mech, con - ammo explosion kills your mech 9/10 times.
Side torsos - Pro - ammo explosions are only going to take out the torso and arm, con - ammo explosion takes out the torso and arm and injures your pilot.
Arms - Pro - ammo explosion takes out the arm only, con - arms are evry vulnerable and most lightly armored sections for most mechs.

To me, ammo storage that has a lot of reloads goes in arms. That is MG's and SRM, AC-2/5, LRM-5 ammo.

All other ammo is fine in side torsos or centre torso, because it usually runs out fast, ie LRM-10/15/20 and AC-10/20.

I'm still curious to see if they fix the CT torso bomb statistical problem for final release.

You will have to explain what you mean with that one because most people won't know what you mean.

You will have to explain what you mean with that one because most people won't know what you mean.

The way critical hits work is that they roll against every single slot in a given location. Because HBS made the decision that engines and gyros couldn't be crit, the center torso has significantly fewer crit slots than the side torsos (I believe it's 4 versus 10 or 12). As a result, any ammunition stored in the center torso has a massively larger chance of being hit than ammo in the side torsos, combined with the resulting auto-kill of a CT ammo detonation makes any unit with an ammo bin in the CT drastically more fragile than an identical unit that has ammo stored in another location.

I always store ammo in the CT. Just not in MY Mechs.
giphy.gif

The way critical hits work is that they roll against every single slot in a given location. Because HBS made the decision that engines and gyros couldn't be crit, the center torso has significantly fewer crit slots than the side torsos (I believe it's 4 versus 10 or 12). As a result, any ammunition stored in the center torso has a massively larger chance of being hit than ammo in the side torsos, combined with the resulting auto-kill of a CT ammo detonation makes any unit with an ammo bin in the CT drastically more fragile than an identical unit that has ammo stored in another location.
Well, if they'd include engine and gyro crits as part of the game we wouldn't have that problem! In success...

Storing ammo in the arms poses the risk of getting that arm shot off and not being able to use that weapon for the rest of the fight. It's fine if the weapon is also in that arm, but for a weapon in the torso, it could leave you with dead tonnage for a significant portion of the fight.
I think the Zeus 6S stores its AC/5 ammo right where the AC/5 is, but the LRM ammo is in its Right Torso.

I find no problem storing ammo for an arm-mounted weapon in the arm which uses it, but . . .