Naval Bombers Can Only Bomb Ports?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

johnyoga

First Lieutenant
32 Badges
Dec 19, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Hello,

I listened to Jake's Air Force Tutorial. Thanks, Jake.:)

What I didn't hear him say is that Naval Bombers can bomb ships and subs. Can they?

Thanks,

Marc

Ships need that AA, yo.

I am not kidding, if your enemy has air superiority and too many naval bombers, then keep your ships far away or get yourself some carriers. I have seen too many awesome steel hulks sink to the bottom of the ocean because of some stupid naval bomber.

Reactions:
Hello,

I listened to Jake's Air Force Tutorial. Thanks, Jake.:)

What I didn't hear him say is that Naval Bombers can bomb ships and subs. Can they?

Thanks,

Marc

Yeah. The reason the "naval strike" mission wasn't showing up on that video is because the naval bombers in question were committed to an air zone over land. Had they been committed to, say, the Baltic Sea air zone, then naval strike mission would appear.

Reactions:
Sorry for my ignorance, Leeuw: What is "CAS" and "TAC" - are they easily identifiable in the bomber choices?

Marc

Reactions:
Sorry for my ignorance, Leeuw: What is "CAS" and "TAC" - are they easily identifiable in the bomber choices?

Close Air Support, the planes that do ground attack missions in support of units in the field.

Tactical Bombers, medium bombers that strike just behind the lines, typically at supply and logistical capabilites

Yes, they are separate trees in the research field.

There is also STR which is strategic bombers, heavies that strike at the heart of the enemy, usually against production and population centers.

Reactions:
Personally I'd like to see NAV bombers still be CAPABLE of tactical strikes, just inferior at them. IIRC torpedo bombers in the PAcific frequently ended up being loaded with regular bombs for a variety of reasons.

Reactions:
Personally I'd like to see NAV bombers still be CAPABLE of tactical strikes, just inferior at them. IIRC torpedo bombers in the PAcific frequently ended up being loaded with regular bombs for a variety of reasons.

I suspect that the set of missions can be modded, but we will see in about 63 hours only!

Reactions:

You are correct. Pure torpedo bombers weren't a thing. If you had a plane that could carry a torpedo, it could also level bomb (some models could also dive bomb). Judging by the mess Paradox has made in the naval bomber sections of various tech trees, I don't think they really understood this. For example, Japan currently has two of its land-based torpedo bombers (NAVs in game) under the tactical bomber line. In their place, there is a float Zero (a fighter....) and the M6A (it isn't a land-based NAV, but at least it can bomb or torpedo things...). Allowing NAVs to attack land targets, just with worse stats, would be nice.

Reactions:
No reason to not include it in the game then. I think it would make sense, but it might be hard to communicate how much worse it is than using the right planes for it.

Large icons for primary missions, small icons for secondary. Or icons for primary mission and a drop-down menu for secondary. In truth you should be able to order your NAV (or hell, STR!) to do ar superiority if you need to. If you command an air wing and you see an incoming attack with your only 4 fighters on CAP duty you aren't gonna go "Well I guess that's that lol!" You're gonna tell everything with a machine gun to get in the air and do their best.

You are correct. Pure torpedo bombers weren't a thing. If you had a plane that could carry a torpedo, it could also level bomb (some models could also dive bomb). Judging by the mess Paradox has made in the naval bomber sections of various tech trees, I don't think they really understood this. For example, Japan currently has two of its land-based torpedo bombers (NAVs in game) under the tactical bomber line. In their place, there is a float Zero (a fighter....) and the M6A (it isn't a land-based NAV, but at least it can bomb or torpedo things...). Allowing NAVs to attack land targets, just with worse stats, would be nice.

To be fair the model names are more or less tacked on to generic designs. It's not like they're actually trying to specifically model certain planes.

Reactions:
Large icons for primary missions, small icons for secondary. Or icons for primary mission and a drop-down menu for secondary. In truth you should be able to order your NAV (or hell, STR!) to do ar superiority if you need to. If you command an air wing and you see an incoming attack with your only 4 fighters on CAP duty you aren't gonna go "Well I guess that's that lol!" You're gonna tell everything with a machine gun to get in the air and do their best.

To be fair the model names are more or less tacked on to generic designs. It's not like they're actually trying to specifically model certain planes.
I'd hope that bombers of all kinds shoot back at least to some degree. So when they are on bombing runs they project air superiority as well.

Where there many planes that had no guns at all? Even strat bombers often had some at least.

I'd hope that bombers of all kinds shoot back at least to some degree. So when they are on bombing runs they project air superiority as well.

Eh... They'd shoot back if they were attacked, but in reality they can't face down enemy fighters and expect to succeed, so it's better to get in and out.

Where there many planes that had no guns at all? Even strat bombers often had some at least.

Transports are the only ones that come to mind. Maybe trainers.