National Ideagroups - 18th of October A - Yaroslavl

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dont think so. Isnt it about the Saruman's and Sauron's towers? (in other words how Saruman betrayed everyone else by allying with Sauron)
The movies? They're obviously talking about Barad-dur and Orthanc.

The books? Tolkien wrote in a letter that they're Orthanc and Minas Morgul. Though he wrote in another letter that it can also be any combination of the towers.

New achievement form alliance with Saruhan? Stop Aragon?
As Yaroslavl, vassalize Saruhan! (and maybe also conquer Gonder)

Seems like the Russian minors are being given some nice ideas to encourage Russia to keep them as Marches for a while.

As someone who plays Russia almost exclusively (nothing like partitioning Poland), if youre having the need for marches, or even vassals, as Russia, youre doing something wrong :p Just gobble everything, because it all belongs to the Motherland.

It is known.

Argh! Now i gotta try a yaroslavl game. Either that, or Foix. Yaroslavl being lot harder start obviously.This nation never *ever* survives unless player takes action, same as French vassals.

Noone but Lithuania wil support independance usually, and you are landlocked *inside* Muscovy. Think i'll give 'm try as first nation in art of war.

Question but how many people actually tried to play Yaroslav in Ironman?

I bet not even 0.1% of Ironman games are as them :)

noone i bet. Yaroslavl is one of the hardest OPM vassal nations in the world to start as. Foix or any French vassal is hard too, but you can ask greater powers to support your independance. In the case of Yaroslavl, you start with 3k troops (wow!), only Lithuania might support independance, you are landlocked by Muscovy in north south and east, and you got Tver in the west. This means that in your independance war you *have* to conquer muscovian provinces aswell.

Ideally, you wait until Muscovy goes for Novgorod, then declare independance with Lithuania help, and hope the hordes declare onbmuscovy aswell when they are weakened.

This entire tactic can fall flat on its face if Lithuania goes in PU under Poland early. I'm seriously considering giving them a shot in 1.8.

Ryazan is an *ideal* march vassal now to feed them entire Russia :) (err Ryazan is russian culture right? Should check ingame)

Edit: Gonna try to get independance and plan my opening moves now.)

Last edited:
In my game even Lithuania wanted to support my independence, only later when Muscovy was weaker.

I would really not recommend to play this in Ironman because it would just be too frustrating without save/reload.

In my game even Lithuania wanted to support my independence, only later when Muscovy was weaker.

I would really not recommend to play this in Ironman because it would just be too frustrating without save/reload.

gave them a shot, and Lithuania simply can't win versus Muscovy. You'd need Kazan declaring war or so to weaken them first. Once Sweden declares independance Lithuania usually joins Denmark side, ruining you chance too. Not to mention Lithuania falling in PU under Poland, which means game over.This is indeed fustrating ;)

Yaroslavl

Traditions
+15% Reinforce Speed
+10% Manpower Recovery

I read these as "I'm sorry you lost. This'll slow down your downfall."

In games, I rarely pick bonuses or abilities the use of which assume I'm doing poorly. I'm the eternal optimist, I suppose. I'd rather get something to prevent losses in the first place.