Natasha's guide to most fun and cheesy race combis

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Natasha-lynn

Corporal
Apr 15, 2019
Hello,
since more people are making a best of doctrines and mods threat now, lemme make a unit and game thread.
So here's the most fun combo to play with, with an absolute strong early game

1. Kirko + Psynumbra
As you might know, Kirko don't have a second support unit. Meaning after researching the flyier, you immediatly get an elite unit. This makes Kirko one of the most cheesy races there is, coz the first elite is also an artillery unit, therefor super deadly to low tier and able to take down bases easily.
This is number 1 because in one playthrough I could literally crush an elite AI within the first 30 turns. I had military research + data resp virtues, got the psy tech 1 and the poison tec 1 then went to a dig site nearby, collected all the research there and had 3 barragers on turn 31.
With that I could easily take down 3 enemy full stack armys from an elite AI, simply coz the barager deals AOE over a large distance, so it kills units before they can touch it, and since most enemy races need longer to get higher tier units out and everything except flyers on tier 1 and 2 will die instantly against artillery, this is my most fun setup and it's also highly abusive and can easily take down, whoever has the disadvantage to spawn next to you. Psynumbra tec 1 gies 30% damage, meaning the barrager is a beast, easily taking at least 2 units in the first turns.

2. Amazon + Pyro
never thought that combo would work, but actually it's quite amazing. Simply because the fire archers are AWESOME, they're my most beloved unit. They are cheap and have an artillery ability which is like barrager above, extremely useful, because it takes down units before they can touch you. That with the area denial of their AOE and the fact that they're archers, have 3 attacks ignoring cover, makes them so amazing and the early pyro mods are actually really good on amazon units as well, Purifying field, being a much better version of nanite injectors and the shield mods, perfectly enhancing fragily amazon units.
This tech doesn't dominate your enemy as fast as kirko psynumbra, but it allows you to clear out loot areas much earlier than all the other combos I tried and therefor gives you a steady advantage in exploration, if your enemies don't rush you.

3. Vanguard + Synthesis
Actually Vanguard are the most adoptable and work with any secret tech, as designed by Triumph, but I think what gives the edge to vanguard is the normal trooper. The soldier can be modded to powerhouses with the rail giving +1 and the mod that let's them avoid cover easily. The Synth mods are good early game two, especially the first ones and what gives synth the edge is just the fact that the cheap tactical operations bolster your army heavily, allowing them to regenerate and get shields in early game, thus making sure the soldiers become cheap and deadly and able to take a hit when they all get the +2 shields from the op.
Again the fun part and the strength is the higher range, which allows them to take down units before the enemy does, only that with vanguard more skill is required than with the two above and they're still not as OP as the first 2 races.

4.Assembly + voidtech
Usually I play Kirko and amazon a lot. Assembyl is a race that doesn't have such a good tactic to abuse early game or to simply put something like the barraber in front of the enemy they can't deal with. In fact, most of the good assembly units are locked to late game. Got the same Problem with the DVAR, but unlike the DVAR, they're early units can still be fun, like the electrocuter and allow you for a decent early game, not a great one though. Voidtech has many advantages, when positioning units: the tactic that is most fun with assembly is battlefield control, so it is a must for your early game melee units to have the ghost mod, that allows them to pass through objects and then simply dominate your enemy with snipers and electrocuters.
Assembly only become really fun to play when you're in late game and have the big units like the giant melee construction bot that can resurrect. Just let 3 of them rush your enemy and be a constant pain letting you easily dominate the battlefield, where the joy of assembly lies in dominating the battlefield. Though you'll never be in a position of power early game, like with Kirko or amazon pyro.

Another good tactics are
syndicate + the good site of the force
and
DVAR + synthesis
I didn't rank them though because only the syndicate is fun to play early game, but DVAR is only really overpowering lategame and you can't setup as good as with kirko barrager or amazon, therefor they're not fun for a fast game. In fact the low DPS of the DVAR early game units and the more defensive early game approach makes them the least fun in my opinion.
You got only the spike cannon guys the overwatch bots and the foreman, which are all defensive units that aren't great for taking of enemy units early on, especially high DPS enemy units, which is essential for getting bigger loot areas, or taking down enemy players early.
The ramjet is locked behind just one research, but even that isn't really offensive but more a tanky control unit to dominate the field. The offensive units only start after the baron which is way beyond early game IMO.

Huh Kir'Ko psynumbra rush to barragers?! I must try that. I really like Kir'Ko but when it comes to rushing T3s I usually went for the secret tech ones, in this case the malictor. But often the extra research and work you have to spend on the elite military building + the fact that your production sector upgrades don't work on elite units (unless you reached the 2nd production tech upgrade) feels too punishing to go for it. I mostly try swarming because the brood chambers really let you churn out good amounts if low tier units/turn. But I must try the Barrager strat :)
Amazon promethean I completely agree, really nice synergy and at least for me heavily inspired by Tombles who played it on stream one day. I also love to give the shrikes the burning mod and thereby provide even more accuracy to huntresses, as you said they have a really nice damage output and it's impossible to hide from them :)
I don't play very much vanguard and syndicate. And I'm having the same trouble as you with the Assembly early game, I rarely get off to a good start with them but I think I just need a bit higher skill, I can definitely see them being one of the strongest once I figure out how to properly approach the game with them with all their bonus research. Also their heroes are just the best.
Lastly I kinda agree that Dvar are not as aggressive, but that is a playstyle thing i guess. Personally I do enjoy seeing the enemies despair and break on my impenetrable defense, something that really is only possible with Kir'Ko (with their annoying transcendents) and Dvar (with the healing trenches) so I really like playing them and especially thanks to the prospectors I think they have a very strong early game.

Assembly voidtech melee focus is amazing, with the right mods and tactics you can crush an enemy far stronger than you using the scavengers and the echo walker, never underestimate assimilate, especially combined with ripping claws. reverse engineers are available early and those constructs are not to be underestimated, especially if paired with the ghost module. with two or three reverse engineers paired with 3 echo walkers you can win almost any early game fight as long as you don't make any majorly stupid mistakes and you aren't fighting synthesis, if you are fighting synthesis you're probably screwed as the assembly no matter what

They aren't just great in the early game, i adore the rift generator and it pairs so well with the reaver in the late game. if modded correctly a single army of 4 reavers and two rift generators(one commanded by the hero) can wipe out an entire faction because the reaver is one of the strongest units in the game, and the rift generator is amazing for disrupting enemy plans, especially vs the kir'ko due to their tendency to group units up to take advantage of swarm shield.

I have been playing around with Syndicate Voidtech a lot recently, and I really like how Enforcers an Echo Workers work together (both being melee with unique secondary skills; i.e. cloning, and shielding adjacent allies). Also the syndicates scout is incredible in auto combat, especially if you bite the bullet and build up a second stack of them in the early game. The voidtech, Phase Manipulator, can evacuate your melee units to safety. While I have struggled a bit with clearing out colonies with the limited range of my melee focus, one or two guild assassins are quite good at drawing the enemies out and off their walls.

Amazon Promethean works best and is most fun if you slap the fire-absorbing armour on Lancers, Arborians and T-Rexes. Plasma bomb your own troops to heal and buff them. Area denial to your enemies is area allowance to your troops.

The real Kir'ko Psynumbra cheese is slapping the bio conversion mod on Malictors because due to a bug (pun not intended), that mod gives way more damage to them than it should. Though the most classic Psynumbra cheese is just massing Malictors, Overseers and Indentured as Syndicate.

Vanguard Voidtech can also be hilariously cheesy if you amass Bikes with the Quantum Avatar mod. Funny how they nerfed the Rift Generator hard (and deservedly so) yet they left one of the craziest mods virtually untouched.

Assembly + Heritor has a cheesy combo of Vorpas Snipers and Syphoners for some silly long range harrasment. Slapping high end Firearms mods on Vorpals can give them AoE splash attacks with concussion chance, while Syphoners restore their AP to potentially stop entire enemy stack in its tracks.

My favorite is Vanguard + Promethean.

Troopers with Nanite Injectors + Purification Field with addition of Rail Accelerators makes them really great generalists, excel at drawn out fights and being able to accept some damage in exchange for winning a battle without fleeing. Especially when supported by Pugs.

Focusfire is only way to bring my stack like that down if evenly matched. When focusfired, it negates the two healing kits the troopers has + pugs. That or just alpha strike units hard enough. Its a great combo but not invincible. In the end, they're still t1 units with small amount of hp, 40+ hp generally :p No way to avoid dying if they really want them dead. Just excellent for skirmishes and supporting. At very least, it forces the opponent to change a single tactic instead of doing splash damage and kill them eventually, they have to focusfire.

Purification Field is excellent for another reason, it can turn any unit of mine into emergency medic. I've had many OWLs equipped with purification field.

Promethean naturally just enrages Xenoplague by merely existing and doesn't let them have free reign.

And its just now that I've realized that I've yet to check out the synergy between Aegis Tank's concussion abilities with Shockwave Infuser. I wonder if it'll make it more lethal or isn't allowed to be equipped.

And then Vanguard offers the Interlocking Armor for Aegis Tank + Phoenix Walkers, again, its another combo i've yet to try out but if both of them can equip it then it'll make them basically immune to being staggered. Aegis tank definitely would benefit from it because i've had my Aegis tank get pritorized by the AI to break it out of defend mode all the time to reduce the protection it gives to its allies next to it. Hundreds of hours played with vanguard+promethean combo and I realize i still haven't tried out all combos yet xD

And another thing that Vanguard has access to is Fire burst ammo. If you're trying to save cosmite, you can bring along troopers with fire burst ammo module and nothing else and have them support your units who have Thermal Targeting relays equipped. Granted, Promethean T2 can burn enemies too as well. Its just that, Purifiers require the skirmisher barracks to be built while Troopers has no such perquisite to be built first. Ultimately it comes down to the choice, do you have time to build the skirmisher barracks or do you really need Troopers with fire ammo right now? Its a choice that can vary from map to map.

Oh and Troopers with fire burst ammo is just plain mean to the growth. Plants hate those guys very much especially if they have some sort of t3 supporting them.

I have developed a love for Xenoplague. I have found 3 races work especially well.

1. Amazon

Bio mods and the doctrine now in the first tech in that line that gives animals and bio attacks poison. Plague monsters can use the animal mods. Amazon units love the Xenoplague mods. Lancers with the Xeno Muscle mod are early powerhouses that also spread plague. Oh and any passive animal bonuses, like the one that heroes get, works with the plague monsters.

2. Assembly and Kir'ko

Yes, both evenly. This is because of the extreme benefits to early game that Xenoplague gives both these races. Xeno muscles is an insanely good mod for tier 1 melee units. The massive impact means they brawl comfortably with everything you could encounter at that stage. That would be enough for me to love the mod. However it also grants 20% (total) damage to melee attacks and make melee attacks inflict the plague. You want to reliably get a plague stack rolling then play Assembly or Kir'ko.

Thanks for the ideas in this thread, i had some fun trying out these. I also found some good synergy with Vanguard and Voidtech. Echo Walkers love jetpacks and missile engineers with stasis pocket inducer and sequential kill system can stop groups of enemies quickly (they should at least, i'm currently trying those) Also, all the Vanguard heavies go well the quantum avatar mod. Not as strong a synergy as Dvar Voidtech but still quite some fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite is Vanguard + Promethean.

Troopers with Nanite Injectors + Purification Field with addition of Rail Accelerators makes them really great generalists, excel at drawn out fights and being able to accept some damage in exchange for winning a battle without fleeing. Especially when supported by Pugs.

Focusfire is only way to bring my stack like that down if evenly matched. When focusfired, it negates the two healing kits the troopers has + pugs. That or just alpha strike units hard enough. Its a great combo but not invincible. In the end, they're still t1 units with small amount of hp, 40+ hp generally :p No way to avoid dying if they really want them dead. Just excellent for skirmishes and supporting. At very least, it forces the opponent to change a single tactic instead of doing splash damage and kill them eventually, they have to focusfire.

Purification Field is excellent for another reason, it can turn any unit of mine into emergency medic. I've had many OWLs equipped with purification field.

Promethean naturally just enrages Xenoplague by merely existing and doesn't let them have free reign.

And its just now that I've realized that I've yet to check out the synergy between Aegis Tank's concussion abilities with Shockwave Infuser. I wonder if it'll make it more lethal or isn't allowed to be equipped.

And then Vanguard offers the Interlocking Armor for Aegis Tank + Phoenix Walkers, again, its another combo i've yet to try out but if both of them can equip it then it'll make them basically immune to being staggered. Aegis tank definitely would benefit from it because i've had my Aegis tank get pritorized by the AI to break it out of defend mode all the time to reduce the protection it gives to its allies next to it. Hundreds of hours played with vanguard+promethean combo and I realize i still haven't tried out all combos yet xD

And another thing that Vanguard has access to is Fire burst ammo. If you're trying to save cosmite, you can bring along troopers with fire burst ammo module and nothing else and have them support your units who have Thermal Targeting relays equipped. Granted, Promethean T2 can burn enemies too as well. Its just that, Purifiers require the skirmisher barracks to be built while Troopers has no such perquisite to be built first. Ultimately it comes down to the choice, do you have time to build the skirmisher barracks or do you really need Troopers with fire ammo right now? Its a choice that can vary from map to map.

Oh and Troopers with fire burst ammo is just plain mean to the growth. Plants hate those guys very much especially if they have some sort of t3 supporting them.

Try Jetpack Purifiers on for size, or if you ever end up literally swimming in Cosmite, Jetpack Fireburst Troopers.

Aegis Tank's attacks are not classified as firearms, they cannot equip Shockwave Infuser sadly, and Phoenix Walkers are stagger immune from the get go, so they don't need the armour mod as much as the tanks.

Fire Ammo is a pretty late research ever since its tech swapped places on the tree with Kinetic Phase Modulator's. You can get Purifiers much earlier in comparison with just two researches for a comparatively lower research cost.

Purifiers alongside the Firestorm Projectile operation are also an essential component of strategies involving PyrX Absorption Panels. The results can be pretty amusing if you pair the Purifiers with Assault Bikes and equip the latter with the Absorption Panels.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Try Jetpack Purifiers on for size, or if you ever end up literally swimming in Cosmite, Jetpack Fireburst Troopers.

Aegis Tank's attacks are not classified as firearms, they cannot equip Shockwave Infuser sadly, and Phoenix Walkers are stagger immune from the get go, so they don't need the armour mod as much as the tanks.

Fire Ammo is a pretty late research ever since its tech swapped places on the tree with Kinetic Phase Modulator's. You can get Purifiers much earlier in comparison with just two researches for a comparatively lower research cost.

Purifiers alongside the Firestorm Projectile operation are also an essential component of strategies involving PyrX Absorption Panels. The results can be pretty amusing if you pair the Purifiers with Assault Bikes and equip the latter with the Absorption Panels.

Oh so thats' what happened to the fire ammo i thought i was misremembering its' location wrong. XD

And nice thank you for telling me about that they don't need armor that much.

I've been wanting to make a whole bunch of jetpack troopers but i've never found the motivation to do so yet because when its time, the AIs tend to be already outmatched by me in current patch so I decided to stop and wait for next patch to see if it makes the difference or not.