• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vseras

Second Lieutenant
17 Badges
Sep 14, 2020
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka
My Emperor revokes one of his vassal’s Duchies that lies under my primary Kingdom. He then grants me the vassals the previous duke had, even though my liege now has that duchy.
So he manages to piss himself off and now blames me because he wants those vassals.
Before I get to react, he’s in a blind rage and sends me an ultimatum that he's revoking my primary duchy for some reason. Why?

Fine. I’m fighting a rebellion and I can’t take on 80K more troops, so I let him revoke it.
Then I give him the vassals that belong to the first duchy he revoked, and he’s happy.
He then gives me back every vassal he took from me, and pisses himself off again because he wants them back again!

Now he has a -100 opinion towards me because he wants it all back because he still won’t give me back my duchies, and he doesn’t even have any tyranny opinion malus for doing all this. I now have no duchies as a king.

How the hell did this happen??? Did he plot to do it? Why? It's not under his De Jure even.

Solution
Does the duchy in question contain the "traditional capital" of the empire? (De jure mapmode, hover over the county, the tooltip will say something like "traditional capital of {Empire}".)
Does the duchy in question contain the "traditional capital" of the empire? (De jure mapmode, hover over the county, the tooltip will say something like "traditional capital of {Empire}".)
No, but you might be onto something. I did screw him up by vassalizing the guy who holds the de jure capital of his empire. That must be it. Sort of strange that he didn't just take that instead though, maybe because the vassal didn't have the duchy?

No, but you might be onto something. I did screw him up by vassalizing the guy who holds the de jure capital of his empire. That must be it. Sort of strange that he didn't just take that instead though, maybe because the vassal didn't have the duchy?
Yeah, the AI logic that prompts them to try to take the traditional capital is not foolproof. In your case, it sounds like your liege took the duchy, then had "too many duchies", and he had no counties in that duchy, so he gave it away again.

My preferred way of handling this kind of situation is to ensure that you personally have nothing that your liege wants. (He may revoke titles, but he won't retract vassals.) Specifically: Give the empire-capital-duchy (and all consituent counties) to your vassals, and move your demesne elsewhere.

• 1Like
Reactions: