[: My favourite reason for losing is when I have a war declared on me right after my troops were disbanded and I literally can't raise them in time.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

klopkr

Chief suggester at the suggestion factory
107 Badges
Aug 12, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
Sarcasm aside, this is so annoying. I am getting pounded by annoying peasant and religious uprisings after feudalizing and right after I win and am already deep in debt keeping my armies up chasing them down, I put my armies away only to be attacked within a week or so and literally getting -99 on seiges while my armies take 2 years to raise themselves.

I just straight up preferred the old CK2 system of raising all my troops and rallying them manually.

• 8Like
Reactions:
How big is your empire that it has a two year penalty to re-raise? Largest I've seen is 11 months and that was controlling a third of the map.

Iirc, the penalty depends on the distance your armies are from your capitol. Is your capitol at the far end of a giant empire? If so, a more central capitol location may help here.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Also, you don't have to raise everyone from one spot. Raise the local forces. Raise your MAA. Hell, raise them all and disband when enough form up that you can use them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Can't disagree. Do miss granular army raising, both for strategic and immersion reasons. My marcher lords should raise their own troops and I should raise mine in my duchies. Things should be tied to their place, especially when they are feudal levies of the local peasents and men at arms.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm not an expert but I had the same experience playing the Mongol Empire I almost lost all of Europe to a bloody Catholic revolt my main army took 340 days to rise so I had reformed the Tengri religion and had a strong holy order and that was it who saved me along with two other mercenary armies to lower the Catholics score in the war until my main army had already taken a sufficient amount to fight the revolt I didn't wait the 340 days I waited half the time with obviously a smaller force stronger the enough for me to use in the war the maximum score that the uprising reached was 86%, the number of rebels I had to fight was approximately 90.000 rebels with an absurd number of siege weapons.
images.jpeg

After the revolt I remembered that I could have called my allies to war but I was so shocked that at the moment I didn't remember that, sorry if my English is not very good.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah I also preferred the way it was in CK2. Maybe we could have a middle ground where you get 1 stack in each dejure kingdom where you have land instead of for each direct vassal like in CK2.

Usually you don't need to raise all your forces. Generally, I only raise MAAs for fighting peasants. They can cut through them like butter if you have enough. In cases when you do need more levies, just raise until you have enough, and then ctrl+click will get them to stop raising and start moving. Also, when you go to raise your troops, crtl+click will make everyone raise in one province rather than all over. In general, it's a waste to raise all your forces, you don't need those last 10 peasants sailing from Iceland to India.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sarcasm aside, this is so annoying. I am getting pounded by annoying peasant and religious uprisings after feudalizing and right after I win and am already deep in debt keeping my armies up chasing them down, I put my armies away only to be attacked within a week or so and literally getting -99 on seiges while my armies take 2 years to raise themselves.

I just straight up preferred the old CK2 system of raising all my troops and rallying them manually.
If you disband your armies when you are at peace there's no "returning home penalty," right? Or are you saying they take two years just from scratch even without that?

In that case you can safely follow the advice from the other posters above: you don't need to gather your whole army, just a small portion is more than enough to curbstomp any peasant rebels. :)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I want you all to know I did need to raise all my forces for these wars because they had a million stacks everywhere and they were about my strength and two my empire is only the size of africa which is big but often I'm getting dinged for a year or two especially when there's multiple wars really soon after each other, by my fault or not.

I want you all to know I did need to raise all my forces for these wars because they had a million stacks everywhere and they were about my strength and two my empire is only the size of africa which is big but often I'm getting dinged for a year or two especially when there's multiple wars really soon after each other, by my fault or not.
Levies past a certain point are largely useless. They cost a ton of upkeep, eat supply limit, and have minimal military value. A decent set of MAAs and knights will cut through ludicrous numbers of enemy levies.

Reactions:
Levies past a certain point are largely useless. They cost a ton of upkeep, eat supply limit, and have minimal military value. A decent set of MAAs and knights will cut through ludicrous numbers of enemy levies.
And yet they're fundamental in getting enough raw troops out to take out a million stacks continents apart from each other.

EDIT: Unrelated thought but I noticed when I fight religious and popular revolts my vassals will actually join in and help out in the war. Which is interesting because having your vassals as allies is extremely OP. They aren't usually too helpful against that type of revolt though since they follow one of your stacks and the main problem with these revolts is they are EVERYWHERE. But if you're in another unrelated war they often still count as 'yellow' troops to your enemies so if you keep a revolt going long enough (which is surprisingly easy if they only have one tiny stack left) you can drag the entire strength of all your vassals around for any other war.

It's like a weird semi exploit that usually isn't really useful but can tottaly be a save in an otherwise seemingly bad situation.

Last edited:
You really should never use levies at all. Just deathball your MAA around and in the rare case where you need to deal with an army that's too far away from them just Protoss Warp your holy order in where you need it.

If it wasn’t for men at arms, I’d say it’s a good thing that you can’t raise all the troops from Northern Africa, an area larger than the whole of Europe, in a reasonable amount of time, especially after just ordering them to head home. IMO the real problem is that there’s one small body of troops that can only be based at your capital and is required for every non-trivial war.

But that’s the game. I don’t think it would be better if they just trivialized moving troops anywhere. As others have suggested, you can make sure your capital is centrally located and never wait for levies who are farther away (you can even use rally points the way they’re designed to enable raising local forces if you want, though personally it’s not my favorite).

If it wasn’t for men at arms, I’d say it’s a good thing that you can’t raise all the troops from Northern Africa, an area larger than the whole of Europe, in a reasonable amount of time, especially after just ordering them to head home. IMO the real problem is that there’s one small body of troops that can only be based at your capital and is required for every non-trivial war.

But that’s the game. I don’t think it would be better if they just trivialized moving troops anywhere. As others have suggested, you can make sure your capital is centrally located and never wait for levies who are farther away (you can even use rally points the way they’re designed to enable raising local forces if you want, though personally it’s not my favorite).
Europe is larger than Northern Africa. Africa as a whole, however, is about three times the area of Europe.

You really should never use levies at all. Just deathball your MAA around and in the rare case where you need to deal with an army that's too far away from them just Protoss Warp your holy order in where you need it.
I disagree. While levies do not significantly contribute to fights, and aren't worth it combat-wise most of the time, they have several other uses. Namely, sieging. You don't want to waste your excellent MAAs waiting around at siege. Far better to instead station summer levies there and have the MAAs pursue enemy armies instead. In addition, you can carpet siege with levies, splitting them up and sieging down tons of locations at once. Since sieges have a base progress rate, you effectively siege faster the more sieges you have. Now of course, you do need to defend them as the levies will die very easily, but, by the same token, it doesn't really matter if they die, they're levies

Reactions:
Europe is larger than Northern Africa. Africa as a whole, however, is about three times the area of Europe.
Europe is larger than the region commonly referred to as Northern Africa. However that’s not the region included in CK3. Of course there’s no exact measurement, but it seems to be over half of the entire continent.

It really doesn't matter either way. Africa may technically be three times the size of Europe, but a large chunk of that land is desert, jungle or mountain.

That also goes for Russia. Miles of ice cold tundra and uninhabited forests. You really can't compare them to Europe.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
It really doesn't matter either way. Africa may technically be three times the size of Europe, but a large chunk of that land is desert, jungle or mountain.

That also goes for Russia. Miles of ice cold tundra and uninhabited forests. You really can't compare them to Europe.
What point are you making here? At face value, your comment seems to further support the idea that gathering troops from all across Northern Africa would be an enormous undertaking. But the way you phrased it makes it seem like disagreement, so I’m confused.

Reactions: