• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
C.V. Mannerheim said:
I've got Sgt. Mackenzie and Its a Long way to Tipperary going on mine

...gotta find that one about the aussies at Gallipoli though.....

Cvm

Huzzah

Just listened to it, Amazing song. Thanks again mate

I've also just found a site which provides free downloads for songs from the period, now I've got a unique Collection of about 20 songs for the game..

C.V. Mannerheim said:
I've also just found a site which provides free downloads for songs from the period, now I've got a unique Collection of about 20 songs for the game..

Gimme. :cool: Unless its that big WWI website we've already been linked too.

Also, I still wish I had the John McDermott version of TBPWM. :( That's a good version, and it includes the verse where the narrator describes how he lost his legs.

If we were to put in writing that we aren't profiting financially from distributing this mod, would we be covered from any legal complications arising from making certain music available for download?

Maybe find out who has got copyright on one of the songs we might want to use, and send an e-mail asking about how to get legal use of the song? If they say that we have to pay... Well...

/Johan

I can't actually remember where some of these music files have come from, although I'm sure that a few of them, if not all of them, are free samples. It would take a great deal of effort to track down the origins of the music, anyway. In fact, I'd say it would be nearly impossible.

Allenby said:
If we were to put in writing that we aren't profiting financially from distributing this mod, would we be covered from any legal complications arising from making certain music available for download?
Not really, no. :(

The Copyright said:
(3) Where copyright is infringed (otherwise than by reception of a broadcast or cable programme)—
(a) by the public performance of a literary, dramatic or musical work, or
(b) by the playing or showing in public of a sound recording or film,
any person who caused the work to be so performed, played or shown is guilty of an offence if he knew or had reason to believe that copyright would be infringed.
The Copyright said:
(5) A person guilty of any other offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or both.
Six months in prison is, as noted in Chapter 107 Part 5 (quoted above), the penalty for normal copyright breach. If you do it in the course of a business - in other words, if we were making a profit from the mod - then the maximum penalty would be two years in prison plus an unlimited fine.

So your suggested note would save you 18 months knocked off your prison sentence - which you might think is worthwhile. :)

Note that copyright in sound recordings lasts 50 years from date of first publication/broadcast - so anything made before 1954 should be safe to use. That means contemporary songs would be OK - but not modern ones.

Define "free for download". If it's out of copyright, or if the copyright owner himself has put it into the public domain, then there's no problem.

If the site you downloaded it from ripped it off from the original owner, then you're still dealing in stolen goods. However, since you didn't actually make the offending copy, only distributed it, then that's a lesser offence. ("Secondary infringement") The copyright holder would have to prove that either you made money from the deal, or that your act would "affect prejudicially the owner of the copyright" - which would really depend on how many people downloaded TGW. :)

To be honest, I don't think that archive-style recordings of period music would matter - if the worst came to the worst, the copyright holder (if any) would probably just ask for an apology and removal of their work from the mod, or even just a proper credit in the read-me file.

The danger would be if you include music which is copyright to Sony Music Corporation, AOL Time Warner, or one of the other big music industry companies with legions of trained attack lawyers. Such as a recording of 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda' or 'The Green Fields of France'... Maybe, with your new talent for public relations, you ought to get in touch with Eric Bogle and get him interested in helping the mod... :)

protected.jpg

What do you make of the information here? It's in the properties of the mp3 files....

You might want to check out this site, it has among other russian anthems 'Bozche tsarya khrani' and 'The internationale'(in russian). Fits the time period too.

Are we allowed to use the music on that link or is it a case of being sued by either/or the Russian Navy and the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra?

By the way, I'm not to keen on including 'The Internationale' - it might corrupt their minds.

Whose minds?

I do not know wether it is copyrighted. But since there is no mention of copyright. I believe that we can use them(kindof a loophole). Yet I am not sure.

Would some of you have a look at this - http://www.firstworldwar.com/audio/index.htm - and see whether there are any songs there which might be worth having. When I mean 'worth having', I'm referring to how good they are as songs, as well as their quality. Admittedly, nearly all of them on that link sound as if they're either contemporary, or being played on a damaged gramophone or a knackered Dansette.

I've also managed to obtain the following:
God Save The Tsar
Le Marseillaise
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Rule Britannia
Hohenfriedberger Marsch
Mars, The Bringer Of War
Lawrence of Arabia
Arrival at Auda's Camp
Waltzing Matilda
Land of Hope and Glory

Last edited: