• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Finarfin

General
74 Badges
May 7, 2003
  • Pride of Nations
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
How can you tell if the game is using all the music you have? There are only 25 ogg files in the music folder. Is that everything that comes with the game and music DLCs? Where are the Pagan Fury songs? Do they even get used in the game? I also added a music mod, but when I enable it only seems to play music from that mod. Do I have to do something to in corporate it into all the existing music?

In the options turn off context sensitive music. If that is turned on certain music will only play when you play certain governments or religions.
There is also an arrow button next to the map where you can skip to the next song

The other DLCs have their music in their zip files

That's not really what I mean. Do the various DLC files call songs.txt get joined in-game with the songs.txt file in the music folder, i.e. do all songs get taken into consideration for play (barring special conditions)?

The Elder Scrolls mod I installed has 58 songs and a songs.txt file that are in a zip file. These lines are in the mod file:

name="Elder Scrolls Music"
archive="mod/elder scrolls music.zip"
replace_path="music"
tags={music}
picture="elderscrolls.jpg"

My concern is that these 58 songs are the ONLY songs that are getting played, since I'm not hearing any of the music I would hear without the mod installed.

On a general question, if you have 100 songs that all have a chance of 1 how is the next song determined?

The Elder Scrolls mod I installed has 58 songs and a songs.txt file that are in a zip file. These lines are in the mod file:

name="Elder Scrolls Music"
archive="mod/elder scrolls music.zip"
replace_path="music"
tags={music}
picture="elderscrolls.jpg"

My concern is that these 58 songs are the ONLY songs that are getting played, since I'm not hearing any of the music I would hear without the mod installed.

Right, because of the replace_path="music" line.
If you want to decativate that line, simply add a # in front of it.

Right, because of the replace_path="music" line.
If you want to decativate that line, simply add a # in front of it.

And that will add it to the pool of other songs in the game? Do you know the technical routine of how music selection works? After all, you could have files named songs.txt in many different locations, including stored within a zip file. I just don't understand how the game builds a music box from this.

And that will add it to the pool of other songs in the game?
yup

Do you know the technical routine of how music selection works?

Music folders get read inside the game file (music and dlc) and mod folder, songs taken from the respective text file get looked up and played according to the conditions set in the text file.

Last edited:
Music folders get read inside the game (music and dlc) and mod folder, songs taken form the respective text file get looked up and played according to the conditions set in the tetx file.

I'm very interested in how this works from a detail perspective. So the folders (music) and files (songs and song lists) can be read from existing zip files. But what is the process for picking a song?

If I have 5 folders called music with 5 different songs.txt files, each containing 1 song with a factor = 1, what is the actual routine that takes place? What sequence does it read the folders and files and what does it do when it sees the factor value?