• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Munster in 1461

Colonies in 1516

Yes, I know the first one is to big. I haven't got the hang of this yet.

After repeated OfferAnnexation Reloads, I eventually gave up on that plan (the Annex Connaught and Ulster plan) and instead set my sights on mainland Europe. However every time I found a country to attack it would offer me a Royal Marriage, Brittany, Bavaria, until I almost gave up with all the Military Accessing and Gifts to Austria, Saxony, and France. Then I found it. Sitting on it’s own with not a care in the world was Brandenburg, waiting to be attacked. I immediately pounced on the chance, and armies quickly seized one of their 3 provinces, Altmark. This put me, conveniently, on a 36% War Score, however, the stubborn Brandenburgers refused to surrender the region and my armies were forced to march in to Brandenburg again and again, but to no avail. And THEN, on top of it all. My Scottish allies went to war with the Creek and Cherokee. The Kingdom of Munster is now in a fairly bad state.

King_Richard_XI said:
After repeated OfferAnnexation Reloads, I eventually gave up on that plan (the Annex Connaught and Ulster plan) and instead set my sights on mainland Europe. However every time I found a country to attack it would offer me a Royal Marriage, Brittany, Bavaria, until I almost gave up with all the Military Accessing and Gifts to Austria, Saxony, and France. Then I found it. Sitting on it’s own with not a care in the world was Brandenburg, waiting to be attacked. I immediately pounced on the chance, and armies quickly seized one of their 3 provinces, Altmark. This put me, conveniently, on a 36% War Score, however, the stubborn Brandenburgers refused to surrender the region and my armies were forced to march in to Brandenburg again and again, but to no avail. And THEN, on top of it all. My Scottish allies went to war with the Creek and Cherokee. The Kingdom of Munster is now in a fairly bad state.

Brandenburg is pretty far from home. One thing you might try is to give up on diploannexing some of those Irish states in favor of just conquering them instead. Once you are stronger, they may be more inclined to be annexed. Also, with Brandenburg, see if you can slaughter a few of their armies. . . they'll get tired of killing soon enough and at least start considering peace.

When you say "bad state", what do you mean?

I mean Moment of Crisis, bad situation, you know.
I have a 36% WarScore but it isn't helping me. I really do need advice, because my fellow Irish won't accept DiploAnnexation and Brandenburg won't hand over Altmark. Army Maintenence is costing too much for poor little 8Province Munster, as is te war with the Creek+Cherokee that I'm losing (My Scots Allies have lost half of their Colonies to them.)

If you don't think you can win both fights, pick the fight that gives you the biggest value. Value here is defined this way: fight you can win + fight you can't afford to lose. If ignoring the New World war lets you beat Brandenburg, go after them; it sounds like you aren't going to be out anything if Scotland loses a few colonies. On the other hand, if Brandenburg won't agree to peace despite your best efforts, go for a ducats peace or a white peace.

If Brandenburg is building up small armies, just murder them over and over until their war exhaustion builds up. They might agree to peace then. (Altmark isn't their capital, is it?)

On the other hand, if Brandeburg is going nowhere and you can actually gain territory, money, or a useful ally by fighting in the New World, white peace in Europe and go there. Frankly, I think provinces in the middle of Germany will just get you into trouble and reduce your built-in advantage of being on an island away from Europe, but Altmark may be worth the cost, at least in the short-term.

Thanks for the advice Phargle, I'll try it.

By the way, I seem to have forgotten to mention that I already own Berg from war against Cleves earlier. I've had it for a while in fact.

Yeah - it's the psychology of sunk costs. We're programmed to resist abandoning ship if we've already spent a lot of time on a venture, even if that venture is ultimately fruitless. A good prince will look ahead to the future and analyzes whether his quest is fruitless. :) As you are faced with two ventures, both of which are going badly, it sounds like you must make some choices, or at least focus on one while letting the less dire situation worsen until you can attend to it.

Good luck!

I've just discovered that the Teutonic Order is at war with brandenburg! Now THEY have a 2 front War as well! This is my chance to take their Provinces!

EDIT: Cherokee just gave me a ducat for peace! Hooray!

I got Altmark off Brandenburg! When I went into their Capital the Teutons were already there, Sieging away, and my reinforcements from Berg took command of the siege and the Brandenburgers fell, doubling my war score and allowing me to take Altmark! Come to think of it, I should have asked for some money as well. Too late now!

To crown it all, Connaught just accepted my Offer of Annexation! They are clearly led by fools!

EDIT: Oh, and Creek accepted a White Peace.

RE-EDIT: TYRONE ACCEPTED ANNEXATION!!!!!! probably because I was so polite when I annexed Connaught :D . Now I have a UNITED IRELAND! Although Gelre did refuse my Annexation Offer......

Last edited:

Western Europe, 1527. I also own Tunis and 3 Colonies, Essequibo, St Martin, and Tortuga.

Update on that, I also colonised two South American Provinces.

Last edited:
Tunis is a major deal - the city is pretty big and that population boost can't be bad for your tax income. How come you have a full boat of merchants? Those guys should be out doing the business of Ireland!

How did you do it, btw, with the war with Brandenburg? Did they cave after the Teutonic Order jumped them, or was there something else you did? Sometimes, patience is all it takes if a) you have your foe on the back foot and b) you aren't losing anything by letting a war drag out. Eventually, a foe's disadvantages will compound.

Your easiest expansion other than new world colonies may be in North Africa, although that'll give you a lot of rebellious territory if you are not a tolerance monarchy.

Check the laws that you can pass. . . you might be able to form Ireland now.

I'd like to apologise for the delay in posts, and inform those following this thread that I will soon be posting again.

He hasn't IN.

Yeah but he can get event ;)

Anyway - i tried one Irish AAR, but i had problems with it, and forgeted it.

But one thing i can say... I did had colonies in africa, and conquered marocco (with castille, but i did get 2 of their provinces). And i can say one thing - Ireland is weak, without good fleet... but also need good army.

So i think you should trade, and colonize (mostly). You can also try to conquer, but i think you should take coastal provinces, or those that are bordering your, coastal provinces, etc. Also you can vassalize brittany, and then annex them after 10 years... (but you must be bigger and have royal marriage, and have at least +190 contacts).