• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

julian_phoenix

Corporal
7 Badges
Dec 9, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
A friend and I are trying to play a multiplayer game. I try to host, I give him my IP address and he tries to join but it says Connecting... Game Not Found. We try switching (him hosting and me joining him) with same result. We have both given access to the game with our firewalls and still nothing. He's not on my LAN but I tried connecting with a game on my LAN and that works... so why doesn't it work for us based on an IP connection?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

***Also, we both verified we have the same checksum (four letters in parentheses after version number) so that can't be it.

Either this IS a firewall problem - one of them has an exception for local addresses - or you are not giving the correct IP addresses.

If you connect to the internet through, say, a DSL modem, your local address is not the address the outside world sees. You probably see it as something like 192.168.0.2 or 10.0.0.2, yes? That's only a local address and not valid outside your network. Go to http://cgi.internode.on.net/cgi-bin/showmyip to see your real external IP addresses.

My brother and I had the same exact problem. I tried all kinds of things. We even enabled router port forwarding for the ports mentioned in the back of the Rome game manual. Still no luck.

Finally, we tried GameRanger (www.gameranger.com). It worked like a charm. The only thing we had to do was to set up port forwarding for the port that GameRanger uses (port 16000 if I recall correctly).

Yeah, I figured it would be a firewall problem with our routers. We had a similar problem when we tried to play EU:III but when we enabled port forwarding on my router for the ports indicated (and when I hosted) it seemed to work fine. The ports matched up except for one number so I changed it... still no go.

Also, I am giving him my external IP address when I host.

I don't want to have to use a third-party program just to connect a multiplayer game. Paradox designed this game, and it should work utilizing in-game solutions. I just need to figure out what it is for me...

Any further help would be appreciated.

But you say it works on your local lan so the problem is clearly not the game, but something in your environment. I will guess there are more firewalls involved.

The only two firewalls I have are in my anti-virus program (which I set to give Rome full access) and in my router. I set my router to port-forward the ports listed in the back of the Rome manual and still nothing. I just don't understand...

You should have UDP ports 1630-1638 open and forwarded, please doublecheck those :)