• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 1: The Siberian Black Army

Sappho of Lesbos

Captain
83 Badges
Nov 4, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
Most of the world would readily describe the current state of Russia as “anarchy”.

They are wrong.

Anarchy is not chaos. Anarchy is the removal of unjust hierarchies. But in Russia in 1962, you can hardly throw a stone without hitting an unjust hierarchy. Leaving aside the Nazi regime in Reichskommissariat Moskowien, we have three separate monarchies, six purported successors to the Soviet Union, and a grab bag of feuding republics, would-be fascist dictators, and petty warlords.

But there is also anarchy. In Central Siberia, there is an area of free cities and villages who answer to no authority but themselves. These lands are defended by the vanguard of anarchism: the Siberian Black Army. If we can work together and stay true to our principles, we will not only protect our lands, but bring true freedom to all of Russia, perhaps for the first time in its history.

LONG LIVE ANARCHY!

vkzfky4nn5i51.jpg

Hi! In this AAR, we will be chronicling the Siberian Black Army as it fights to reunite Russia in the beautiful hellscape that is The New Order: Last Days of Europe.

NmtnWjJ.jpg

The Siberian Black Army controls (in the military sense) a territory centered on the city of Kansk, where the General Assembly and Security Council meet.

DkGx8kT.jpg

Our forces are fairly well-equipped, at least by the standards of modern Russia. However, despite our militarized society, we are short of manpower, so we won’t be able to train any more for a while.

GZgBeCm.jpg

On top of that, the Black Army is playing an increasingly prominent role in our government. Many fear that if they become too strong, they will destroy the very freedoms we are trying to protect.

UGdzUpn.jpg

8UPWtHH.jpg

One of our greatest assets is the legacy of the Siberian Plan. The unfinished legacy of Premier Bukharin, central Siberia has considerable industrial capabilities which we can make use of. These decisions all have penalties, but they are overall positive.

1IAw3DB.jpg

iJ51SsG.jpg

Instead of an oppressive state apparatus, our communes govern themselves. What central administration there is is in the hands of the Siberian Soviet.

JA2HmRr.jpg

Our communes elect representatives to the General Assembly of the Siberian Soviet, which acts as a sort of legislature.

ALkU55j.jpg

Periodically, we can propose measures to the General Assembly that will benefit the entire Free Territory. Of course, we will have to secure the assent of the major communes. Currently, the only major commune is Kansk, but hopefully that will change in the near future.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Must admit I don't know this mod at all.

As and when this picks up again, I'll happily jump on board. Don't think I've ever seen an anarchist AAR before.

A word of warning based on forum rules: if a certain Russian Nazi unifies the Far East I'd suggest not showing his flag.
Way ahead of you. I've already spoken to the mods, and I will be carefully checking the screenshots for any swastikas. Fortunately, the two Russian unifiers with swastikas in their flags (Amur and the Aryan Brotherhood) also tend not to live very long (Amur usually dies very quickly).

I did make a go at creating a submod that removed all swastikas, but it didn't work out. I might try again. In any event, I'm waiting for the next major update to TNO, which should be out soon.

And we're back!

18E358B5F43838BEBE8D1C4C02B80C3EDE04B8C2

First, since the Cutting Room Floor update came out, we got a new leader portrait!

4FB21C6F15F4EE6195EC5FE739B812C84A3F0F3A

Unfortunately, conditions in the former Soviet Union make raiding our neighbors for supplies a necessity if we are to develop our society.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at who our neighbors are!

3E7F9083AE0557352A558DA6110F2E126478386C

To the northwest is our biggest potential rival, Tomsk, the remnant of the Central Siberian Republic that formed after the Soviet Union collapsed. They’re a bunch of airheaded bourgeois ideologues and artists.

B7CBFCBB72D625305AF58CB8F15A737D991FA278

To the west is Krasnoyarsk, a breakaway state from the CSR, run by a renegade officer named Nikolai Andreev. He’s just a warlord making democratic noises.

3F004A6DACE53A19F1FED615638C5533B65B1300

To the south is the People’s Revolutionary Council, formed by a fragment of the Red Army, bent on restoring the old Soviet Union. I think that ship has sailed, Comrade.

6405467E31FD1F9804FAA4D115FEC98ACD0B74D6

To the east is Irkutsk, officially known as the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet. What distinguishes this particular bunch of holdouts is that they are apparently the “legitimate” Soviet government. Whatever. It’s basically General Yagoda and his toadies. They’re at war with the Sablin government in Buryatia. Sablin’s honestly not a bad sort, with a much less authoritarian take on Leninism.

015806EBEDC97D12421A1E7BE80AE24C79BDEA91

To the north is the area around Chernyshevsky. Here, civilization has completely broken down. There is no actual leadership, just a series of autonomous villages. In time, we will spread anarchism here as well.

First, however, we will have to unite Central Siberia. Of our neighbors, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, and the People’s Revolutionary Council are in Central Siberia, while Irkutsk and Chernyshevsky are not. Also in our region (but not immediately adjacent to us) are Kemerovo, Novosibirsk, and Oyrotia.

901DD17D258AF4CC73394E5AF02711C77835DA7F

Kemerovo is another fragment of the Central Siberian Republic. Its ruler, Major General Nikolay Krylov, was sent to deal with the Black Army’s initial revolt, and retreated to Kemerovo after we defeated him. Apparently he went insane and has now proclaimed himself “Rurik II, Emperor of all the Rus”.

DBBDD3A1118B56779BF205D721A9B04255246876

The collapse of the Central Siberian Republic came about during the Siberian War, fought between the CSR and General Yagoda’s regime in Irkutsk. In addition to the revolt of the Black Army and Krasnoyarsk, the cities of Novosibirsk and Barnaul formed an alliance and seceded, becoming the Federation of Novosibirsk and Altay, led by ace pilot-turned-mayor Alexander Pokryshkin. Not only is he a warlord, but his regime has close ties with the nascent corporations that have emerged in Siberia.

5868E04E5D383C0C50C0F4793EC39535EE53362E

Finally, we have the tiny state of Oyrotia, an alliance of Old Believers (an Orthodox denomination distinct from the formerly national Russian church) and Burkhanists (a syncretic native religious movement). This bunch pose no real ideological threat; they just want to survive. It may be possible to peacefully integrate them into our society.

As you can see, the Siberian Black Army is the only hope for true freedom any of these people have. Join us next time, when we begin work on the liberation, take a look at our focus tree, and maybe even unpause!

• 2Like
Reactions:
All these people needing liberation

All these people needing liberation
And that's just Central Siberia! Here's a quick summary of what the other regions have:

West Russia:
West Russian Revolutionary Front: More Red Army holdouts squabbling over who should be in charge
Komi: The Dumpster Fire Republic
Samara: Collaborators who got abandoned
Vyatka: Samara except they're Tsarists
Aryan Brotherhood: Neo-Nazis

Southern Urals:
Orenberg: Anarchists who don't understand organization
Ural League: The only reason Orenberg still exists
Magnitogorsk: A mad scientist and his NKVD bodyguards
Dirlewanger Brigade: The guy even the Nazis thought was psycho and his band of rapists

Western Siberia:
Sverdlosk: Red Army holdouts who forgot what they're fighting for
Tyumen: Obsessed with some random Soviet bureaucrat named "Josef Stalin"
Omsk: Creepy ultranationalists
Zlatoust: Gun merchants

Eastern Siberia:
Irkutsk: Soviet remnant
Buryatia: Reformers
Magadan: Fascists
Amur: Russian Nazis
Chita: Tsarists whose Tsar just wants to go home to Australia

• 1Like
Reactions:
That is a phenomenally fractured world. Lots of nazis to hunt, lots of communes to organise…

• 1Like
Reactions:
A TNO AAR? This is going to be nuts

With that in mind, we’ll begin to actually do stuff.

17BC8A12EF5F61BDE6DD2CABD81504CC126C0266

I’m prioritizing weapons over industry. Right now, we have more guns than people, so manufacturing additional weapons won’t do us any good. More important is being able to defend ourselves and liberate others.

68D10EBA23FDF3A4E8BE7ACE48B55589861F140A

However, that will change in time, so I’ll start building a military factory. Once we get additional manpower, I want to be able to equip them.

787F4FEC2F45C4EDE2EE95F004D7D366715F8158

I won’t be showing all decisions regarding research, construction, and manufacturing – only those that involve major changes.

0487C26D78B7F9A8F5D9106272059EDD8FD87921

More importantly, let’s get our troops organized. Of our neighbors, Tomsk is the greatest threat, so I’ll send them to the border.

3494CDAC1DA32B40B3B5AC95103E3FFAEE46B665

And now let’s take a look at our focus tree. It may look small, but this isn’t all of it. TNO uses dynamic focus trees to create a more narrative-driven experience. This tree merely establishes the setting for the Siberian Black Army.

7362CF82F01140F4FFB44DC4A5625B3C6B966687

You may note that many of our focuses have no effect other than an event. These events are largely narrative-focused, although they may have some effects.

And with that, our setup is complete. It is time… to unpause!

A05B1F14D09C2A36E6BE2518D5AE0FB4A9D8A9A4

Germany lands a man on the moon.

0CA6EE6FF3403F784AE7611129DD5930B2476CC5

I won’t bother going over our ministers, but this event serves to introduce our head of government, the closest thing to a leader that the Siberian Free Territory has: Yuri Galanskov. At 23, he is one of the youngest world leaders.

1AE9C01EED1DE888CF5B6B36CF0695F6F1CEC98F

But Yuri Galanskov is far from a dictator. The true power in the Free Territory rests with the General Assembly, the voice of the communes.

D5F6E442E6D78CB44D62A380B70AA1B5AA709F8A

The bogatyr is the Russian equivalent of the Western knight-errant, and it appears that one has arisen in this dark time. Interesting. I will also put down “Bogatyr” as a good name for a tank or fighter model.

So our journey begins! I should warn you, this will be a fairly slow start – we won’t get to actual warfare until 1963. But please hold on! Anarchy is not built in a day!

• 3Like
Reactions:
It’s a big bug bear of mine that the Pdx engine can’t really deal with anything other than a statist society, so pleased to see that this all looks like a pretty valiant attempt at simulating an anarchist commune. Good stuff.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Gonna follow this one. Tried playing as the SBA today. Didn't realize all the warfare branches unlock for everybody at the same time. Got painted into a corner where Tomsk and the People's Revolutionary Council declare war at the same time, and I don't have enough manpower, troops, or equipment to defend.