• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Finarfin

General
74 Badges
May 7, 2003
  • Pride of Nations
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
One thing that's always disturbed me is that the player pretty much still has absolute power whether he is a minor, incapacitated, or locked in someone's dungeon. I wish that during a regency the decision making was actually made by the regent. This could add some interesting situations, such as deciding to go on pilgrimage or a crusade. In some cases, such as those just mentioned, you should be able to appoint your own regent. And in cases where you can't (ruler minority, incapacitation, etc.) the regent should be someone more appropriate than just having one of your Councilors picked. I'm willing to go so far as saying that during a regency the regent treats your kingdom just like a computer-controlled realm, only giving the player control once it's realistically possible. If not that, at least all diplomacy, income, etc. should be based on the regent's stats and not the ruler's. I shouldn't be able to command my kingdom from an enemy's dungeon while by brother who hates me is regent.

Regencies should be something that you want to avoid as much as possible. Right now even with a regent it's business as usual. Dying young and leaving your child heir under control of a regency should be a serious concern for your dynasty (unless, of course, the regent is part of your dynasty and usurps for himself, which can always be fun).

Under a regency, the regent's stats are used instead of yours (that's why your councillors are usually assigned-- they have the best stats) for realm diplomacy, stewardship, martial, the whole deal. Therefore, it directly affects your efficacy in all diplomatic interactions, directly affects your global tax modifier, directly affects your land morale, morale recovery rate, and sometimes how fast your realm falls to sieges, among other things. In addition, I don't believe they get the "1/2 the wife's stats" bonus, regardless of whether they're married.

In the case of being a child ruler under a regency, the amount of negatives is sky-high. [Succession wars, inability to command, opinion maluses of various sorts, personal diplomacy with all your vassals sucking terribly due to lack of stats/traits, regents trying to steal your throne (I've heard), the fact that anyone with a weak claim on any of your titles-- even a woman-- can have their claim pushed against you in some foreign court until you're an adult, etc.]

For other regency cases (pretty much only leaves incapacitation, unless you went on a pilgrimage, in which case most everything is shut-off and it's brief anyway), a lot of the intrigue decisions are disabled, and you can't join/lead factions or plot. Incapacitation does hurt the stats a bit too. Usually the game kills you off soon enough (realistically) in these scenarios, though I've seen an 'incapable' regency go on for over a decade; there should be a "abdicate" option in the decisions menu that allows you to abdicate to your heir and doesn't actually go to Game Over, despite having an heir of your dynasty. However, CKII doesn't handle voluntary abdication well, so the option would pragmatically have to be "Commit suicide," which seems a rather limited option.

If you want complete inability to do anything while in a regency, just open the console, and type observe​ until the regency is over. Then deal with the mess that the AI ruler made during the regency. That's the most elegant solution that I have for you.

EDIT: Oh, duh, I forgot about the imprisoned-regency case. Still, you will miss most events in prison, and miss all the stuff a child ruler misses, except for the succession and weak claims war threats. Yeah, though, this is another case where you might want to hit observe too if you want to role-play it. On the other hand, you can just not do anything (even though the game lets you-- which is also something we can't mod, FWIW) if you're in such a regency to role-play it and then enjoy a better view of the intrigue going-on first-person.

Last edited:
I might give that observe option a try, just for fun to observe my character's helplessness. How do you turn it back off when you want to resume control of your character?

I might give that observe option a try, just for fun to observe my character's helplessness. How do you turn it back off when you want to resume control of your character?

Note the character ID of your player (or any character in the game, if he happens to die or, heck, if you'd just like to play in a different part of the world while your regency lasts) in the delayed tooltip when you mouseover a character's portrait. PB adds this to the default tooltip for such purposes. Then, in the console, use play 140 (except use the character you want's ID, not William the Conqueror-- 140). Be careful not to mistype, as you may accidentally play a different, unplayable character (unlanded or theocratic or possibly muslim/pagan without the relevant DLCs selected) if you accidentally dyslexic-it, something for which I'm notorious, as that can go straight to a Game Over.

I am in favour of regencies actually meaning something.

I made a whole proposal about it about 1-2 months ago.

I'd like to see some of that whole Richard and the Princes in the Tower stuff. I don't know whether it's built into the game but I've never seen a Regent actually show any initiative for anything. If I decide to go off on Crusade on years I may not have a throne to come back to.

I'd like to see some of that whole Richard and the Princes in the Tower stuff. I don't know whether it's built into the game but I've never seen a Regent actually show any initiative for anything. If I decide to go off on Crusade on years I may not have a throne to come back to.

More nasty regency events is something that could be addressed by VIET potentially. They could even include optional dueling support from PB, if installed alongside.

I am in favour of regencies actually meaning something.

I made a whole proposal about it about 1-2 months ago.

Well, other than nasty regency events in addition to the normal downsides of a regency, no mod can disable the player's ability to essentially rule as if they were the regent during regencies. That's totally hardcoded.

Out of curiosity, could you use decisions to rule as a regent? Obviously this would be limited, but I would guess that laws/granting titles could possibly be added in as decisions?

Out of curiosity, could you use decisions to rule as a regent? Obviously this would be limited, but I would guess that laws/granting titles could possibly be added in as decisions?

That would be cool. I'd be willing to go so far as to see events where "Regent does this" .... or "regent does that". It doesn't necessarily the existing mechanics but it leaves the option for some surprises when you decide to let someone sit in for you for a bit.

Not possible. Laws and titles don't have a decisions pool (other than, technically, the decisions which back the laws you can change via the Laws screen, but the glue between that and normal decisions is hard-coded), so you can't create menus or anything like that have decisions that address any specific title (or province). This is a super-annoying fact from a modding perspective.