• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(13)

Banned
Jan 12, 2000
Visit site
Corte Real G.

Aug 12th. 1496

'... and the possibility of an armed conflict against the Moroccan scum continues to be of prime worry for our gracious and radiant King, Manuel I. Infact, relationships between the royal envoys stationed at Tangiers, and the diplomats of Morocco who meet them every few months, have degenerated into almost non stop insults from what my sources tell me. The African filth insist on demanding that we meet them on equal terms, that is every second diplomatic visit is to be conducted by our envoys at their capital of ... The nerve! It's insult enough sending in our irreplacable soldiers into the inhospitable desert wastelands to rid ourselves of them completely, let alone sending his majesty's most respected envoys into the heart of the scum pit! Colonel Beja is our top military commander in Tangiers, he has the respected of the entire population, and many Moroccans in the south, holding high places of office within their barbaric structure know he is a man not to be trifled with. I am confident we can stave off any dangers, from these primitive infidels.

On a different note, my servants bring me news of the continued expansion of trade in our west African colonies. After cleaning up several native establishments in Senegal, that whole province is ready to be colonized proper, primitive trading posts have already been established in these areas from our main base of operations - Cape Verde, of shore to the west. However, there have been continued problems with oour Carolina operation. Reports continue to arrive out of the province that the soldiers have still not agreed to venture forth from their established camp. Dear God, this is embarrassing! How can they be afraid of a few savages?? This situation will shortly be resolved, the Lord Admiral of the Fleet, Da Gama has chosen a Conquistador of some experience, the recently promoted Field Marshal Camoens. He will sail to Carolina with a small contingent of reinforcements, the fleet under the leadership of the Lord Admiral, with me and Cabral as 2nd and 3rd in command. We anticipate leaving within the next 6 months, as we cannot wait any longer. Our high council has learnt that the Spaniards have been sighted of the coast in various places. Of course, we are on extremely good terms with our continued allies, however we cannot allow them to grab a strong foothold in the New World, because it will inevitably lead to some extremely bloody Colonial wars...'

Jan 19th, 1497

'.. The day has arrived. Camoens is ready, with contingents of 4250 infantry and 1750 horses. I am worried about the long term effects of such a long voyage on the animals, many suffered appauling sickness and numerous died on our first crossing. The Lord Admiral Da Gama, has taken command of the 10 ship fleet and we leave at midday..'

March 27th, 1497

'..It's been a week now that we've been recovering our strength in the Azores. The voyage here from Lisbon was painless, and casualty free though the men are still tired. I have introduced the Lord Admiral to some of the local classy establishments, and he has taken a particular fondess for them. Infact, The men have hardly seen him the last few days, the poor sinner! Perhaps when I retire, our Lord may give me the strength to pen a book 'bout the fine living offered by these temptresses of the Azores! Surely, our Lord would understand the longing these mariners suffer on these extensive voyages. May he forgive us for indulging in the fine, soft flesh of these nymphomaniacs! Now it's time for this old sea dog to rest his tired body..'

June 26th, 1497,

'We've finally arrived at Carolina, our arrival celebrated by much of the population. Not much has changed since I left this camp, some years back in time. It seems the soldiers have been living in this filthy squaller for months. Their condition is deteriorating as many are afraid to go out to forage for supplies since they are terrified of being ambushed. I've heard some greatly exaggerated stories of 'demon monsters' hiding just in the thickets beyond our camp. I've been told of strange 'unnatural' shrills and cries heard throughout the night making many shiver with sweat and so petrified that they've been unable to rest at all. This is why their condition does not surprise me anymore. Paranoid fools, what do they expect, this is a strange land, filled with many secrets to uncover. It's not at all inconceivable that the barbarian population and wildlife of this exotic land is vastly different in appearance and custom of the one we've faced so far in Morocco or in west Africa. No doubt the Field Marshal was also aghast with their condition, he will take charge this day with vigour and re-instill some order and discipline within this ragged bunch. I cannot stay here for very long, though. Our orders are to deliver the Field Marshal to this colony, have a fortnights rest if needed and return immediately back to Lisbon. The King is in the middle of preparing for a possible war with the Moroccans, he needs his closest military advisers within his proximity..'

Dec 20th, 1497,

'No less than a week back after my return voyage and I've already been summoned to the King's chambers ten times. He is very worried that if a possible war occurs, we won't be able to send in reinforcements fast enough to relieve Tangiers from the sea. Da Gama advises that we send reinforcements in now, before any active operations can begin, but the King is afraid of 'upsetting' these primitives! If only our gracious King had as much backbone as John II, oh what a relief that would be! His fear is not alliviated, by his closest advisers who continually blurt out completely unfounded and astronomical figures of their armies. 'One-hundred thousand!!', 'two-hundred!!', 'three!!' Dear Lord, some common sense gentlemen! Many of the generals demand that they charge in now with the forces stationed in Tangiers... which are approaching 18,000 men, mostly infantry. It would be most sensible that the commanders of the navy are given seniority here a long with the chief of our forces in Tangiers, the brave Colonel Beja...'

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 11-08-2000).]

This question probably belongs in the other forum, but seems to fit here. Do European armies suffer an increased risk of disease when traveling into sub-saharan Africa? Or does that not really present itself as an option? (I'll save my Prester John question for another time)

Sapura,
I was pretty sure that you wouldn't play a 'mellow' campaign of pure expoloration and colonization. BTW - If you do come to blows with your southern neighbors, I'd like to see you steal a page out of Greven's playbook and convert Morocco to Catholicism!

This first-person narrative style is excellent, I can't wait for the next batch of excerpts. :)

Armies marching in desert areas would bleed away at a much faste rate, yes. I'm not 100% sure on this, perhaps Greven or Matt, or any other tester can help, as to what exactly the stats for these conditions are..

Jim,

BTW - If you do come to blows with your southern neighbors, I'd like to see you steal a page out of Greven's playbook and convert Morocco to Catholicism!

Heh, I'm afraid that it never was going to be that easy :( No siree-bob!

Sapura

How far into Africa will the map cover? All of it? Just North Africa? Would it be possible in the game for example to swing south of the Arabs convert the locals and attack northward? I'm curious I guess because I had a Professor of African History who five centuries later was still upset that the Europeans did not do that and was wondering if that strategy was possible in game terms?

Originally posted by Kevin:
How far into Africa will the map cover? All of it? Just North Africa? Would it be possible in the game for example to swing south of the Arabs convert the locals and attack northward? I'm curious I guess because I had a Professor of African History who five centuries later was still upset that the Europeans did not do that and was wondering if that strategy was possible in game terms?

There have been threads in the general discussion group about the maps. I will tell you what I have been able to learn.

The EU map covers the entire world. This includes Africa. However, for the most part, the interior of Africa is permanent terra incognita - it can not be explored or colonized. Mainly, the EU powers will deal only with the coastal areas, which is more or less historically accurate for the time period. There is no Songhai Empire or any of the other interior powers to deal with. I believe Ethiopia is available as a country however.

Converting the locals is certainly possible but time consuming. I am unsure if that would make any difference to the strategy.

As for the convert the locals and push north strategy, I am unsure how workable that would be. Most of north is the Sahara Desert making a land based attack difficult. Plus many of the northern native states (plus some in the south) were Islamic states already, though the percentage of the population that held that faith varied. In addition, for the strategy to work the Europeans would have to get over their racism and treat their converted African allies as equals (giving them technology and all that) which I doubt the Europeans capable of doing yet. They would also have to get over their greed to exploit and enslave, something else I doubt they were ready for.