• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

caffran

Major
49 Badges
Feb 25, 2006
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
Hi All. as in the title some daft questions again im hoping you can advise on.

1. Japan's pearl harbour decision. is it scripted to fire? as in, if japan are already at war with USSR, will they fire PH anyway?

2. If i tag switch to another country, say Germany, and i assign orders to launch sealion. will those orders hold when i tag switch back? or will the AI kill them immediately?

3. if the above is a no, the orders wont hold after tag switching back, if i set an AG to offensively grab London as only objective, is the German AI smart enough to actually launch an invasion? i assume i'll have to leave a few ports unguarded in UK at least, but has anyone actually seen the AI launch sealion on its own?

4. I want to hobble the US response to PH, so i hit upon tag switching in, and deleting from the production queue any transport/landing craft being constructed. will the AI notice they are gone and try building them again?

sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

Hi All. as in the title some daft questions again im hoping you can advise on.

1. Japan's pearl harbour decision. is it scripted to fire? as in, if japan are already at war with USSR, will they fire PH anyway?

For the modifier ? ... I don't remember in vanilla

2. If i tag switch to another country, say Germany, and i assign orders to launch sealion. will those orders hold when i tag switch back? or will the AI kill them immediately?

Probably not as AI wil ltake over

3. if the above is a no, the orders wont hold after tag switching back, if i set an AG to offensively grab London as only objective, is the German AI smart enough to actually launch an invasion? i assume i'll have to leave a few ports unguarded in UK at least, but has anyone actually seen the AI launch sealion on its own?

Doubtful

4. I want to hobble the US response to PH, so i hit upon tag switching in, and deleting from the production queue any transport/landing craft being constructed. will the AI notice they are gone and try building them again?

It might depending on its srcipt and the number of each units he needs to control to fulfill its script requirements

sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

1 - There are conditions for Pearl Harbor to fire, so depending on those other conditions, it may or may not trigger the decision. I'd have to look at the script, since I've never dug into the details, but I suspect that a minimal level of certain resources are needed, as well as certain political conditions. I don't think a war with the USSR is taken into account, so it would probably fire if the other conditions are met.

2 - The orders may hold for a little while, but the AI is likely to change them at any time, depending on its scripted priorities. I wouldn't expect it to work long enough for GER to actually launch an invasion.

3 - I've actually seen AI Germany invade the British Isles and successfully land troops, but only after I had already occupied about 90% of it. They had the unmitigated audacity to take two coastal provinces right out from under my nose before the UK surrendered to Hungary. I suspect that the only reason they managed to get past the RN was that I had already taken every port on that side of the island. Setting an allied war goal to take London might (or might not) get GER to try it, but unless the Royal Navy has already been completely devastated, it would probably result in GER losing all of its unprotected transports, rather than German troops on English soil.

4 - The AI will note that it's short on transports and start building some to meet its scripted target quantities, no matter how stupid or irrelevant those target numbers may be. That's why a lot of small countries with practically no troops will build bombers or other expensive toys that will tie up their military's entire share of IC for years. The human player quickly learns that actually trying to meet those targeted production goals will lose a war, not win one, but the AI doesn't know that. Deleting their units from the production queue will buy a little time, but they'll quickly be replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Tag switching will not help as the AI will replace anything you did with its own scripts the moment you un-pause the game. That includes order of battle, diplomacy, espionage, production, unit orders.

To hobble the US, you have to delete their transports & landing ships as they are built. Deleting them from production queue doesn't help. So you have to do it repeatedly.

Thanks both. i dont want to hobble the US completely, just want to delay the Pacific campaign a little. in one recent game, US were invading Tokyo bay six months after PH, which is idiotic. i figured deleting transports/landing craft from the production Q just before they complete would do nicely.

with the tag switching i was hoping to force Germany to Sealion for RP purposes in an AAR. maybe i'll save game then tag switch and actually play as germany for the invasion.

One other question if you'd be so kind. what does the Op Catapult/mers-el-kebir decision actually do? does it actually damage/sink x number of vichy ships? or is it just a flavour decision?

Flavor for relations.