• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Where the heck is Uyghur? And why is Kyrgyz and Khazak with the Tartars? If anything these two need to be in the Altaic/Mongol group with Uzbek, Mongol, Oirat, Korchin, and Khalka. And again, where is Uyghur?

For the most I can't say much since I'm not too familiar with them, but I'll say this:

French - Better than "Cosmopolitaine" for sure
Hungarian and Romanian together? What?
Albanian as Hellenic? Whaaaaat?
More Celts, me likey

I think, with it's seperate church, Bosnia formed enough national identity to be represented. A "culture" isn't only a "language", they lived their lives more different than Serbs or Croats and thats what matters, isn't it? Even now, we could group all the Balkan Languages as Serbo-Croatian since they are super mutually intelligible. Thus I see no problem having Bosnian as a culture. Since language =/= culture, Hungarian and Romanian in the same culture group could make just enough sense.

Also for what you could add;

Hellenic:
Cappadocian could be added in Konya or Kayseri. (or both if you want to give Karaman some hard time)
Pontic culture can be seperate since it's a seperate langauge even now. In the provinces of Sinope, Canik, Trebizond and Kaffa.
I'm highly unsure about this but Calabria might be Greek? Did they form a majority in Calabria in 1444?
Arvanitet culture in Athens (or Albanian if you want). They formed the majority in Athens until they adopted Greek for national unity in the new kingdom of Greece.

Caucasian:
Ganja and Melikates could be a new culture, Caucasian Albanian (or Udi as we call them now). Last survivor majorities until they become Azerbaijani.
Abkhazia, because of it's role in Georgia's historical unification, could be justified as Abkhazian probably. One province culture but Abkhazians aren't even in the same language group with Georgians, I think they deserve their own culture.

Finno-Ugric:
There is a thread in suggestions about Livland and Dorpat being Estonian. You could add this aswell.
Finland please become Finnish ,_,
Halogaland should be Sami.

Baltic:
Why no Old Prussian? :eek: Maybe Memel and Ostpreussen could be justified as "not yet germanized prussians"

West Slavic:
Kashubian should be in provinces of Hinterpommern, Neumark and maybe, a big maybe, in Stettin. Someone from Poland could help more on this.

Scandinavian:
Shetlands and Orkney should be Norn culture.
Faroarna should be Faroese (if you hate OPM cultures, just make it Norn) :D

Celtic:
Manx culture STRONK! (if they ever add Mann island of course)
Scottish being a British culture really bugs me. I would be happier if we just carried all Scotsmen to the Gaelic party, but that wouldn't be realistic. Seperating it into Scots and Scottish, Scots being a British culture, would be better.

Carpathian:
How about adding Transilvanian or making Transilvania Romanian? Also you would need to put a Székely (or Hungarian) province just in Wallachia-Transilvania border in south-east.

Lowlands Culture Group?:
I have been playing Extended Vanilla Experience mod for a while now and it has this culture group. It consists of Waloon, Dutch and Flemish but your new Frisian would also fit perfectly fine.

And a wild suggestion:
Langue'doc group with Occitan and Catalan in it! Arpitan is seen seperate from both Oil and Occitan languages but for the sake of French culture group, Arpitan should stay in I guess.

I'm not an expert in this topic ofc so feel free to correct my suggestions. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
600 years ago azerbeycan anad anatolian turks are almost same, if we speak about cultural accurate why do yu split them? also why dou split tartar too?

Last edited:
Reactions:
There should not be Celtic group, multiple times I've heard that Celtic wasn't even concept before 19th century and that instead it should be Gaelic group that includes Irish and Scottish, while Welsh, Cornish and Breton should be in Brythonic group.

Never could really understand the current situation of having Scottish and English culture merged in the British group, while keeping Welsh culture seperated into a "Celtic" group along with Irish and Breton. It seems to really only be there to encourage England/Britain to remain stable.

Manx, Irish and Scottish are all part of the same language group.

This entirely depends on what you consider to be "Scottish". By 1400 Gaelic had lost its foothold as Scotland's main language with the majority of the south and along the eastern coast speaking Scots, a Germanic language that today is pretty much mutually intelligible with English. By 1500 Gaelic had lost even more land to both Scots and Norn. Based on those things I would say that the current Scottish culture is based on Scots and should be.

You could make the argument that the devs should add a highlander culture to represent the Gaelic speakers but that would only be a nerf to Scotland due to rebels and the potential loss of accepted culture.

Never could really understand the current situation of having Scottish and English culture merged in the British group, while keeping Welsh culture seperated into a "Celtic" group along with Irish and Breton. It seems to really only be there to encourage England/Britain to remain stable.

Because "culture" in EU4 seems to be heavily dependant on language and throughout the whole EU4 period "Scots" a Germanic language that is incredibly similar to English was dominate in Scotland. It makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I think, with it's seperate church, Bosnia formed enough national identity to be represented. A "culture" isn't only a "language", they lived their lives more different than Serbs or Croats and thats what matters, isn't it? Even now, we could group all the Balkan Languages as Serbo-Croatian since they are super mutually intelligible. Thus I see no problem having Bosnian as a culture. Since language =/= culture, Hungarian and Romanian in the same culture group could make just enough sense.

Also for what you could add;

Hellenic:
Cappadocian could be added in Konya or Kayseri. (or both if you want to give Karaman some hard time)
Pontic culture can be seperate since it's a seperate langauge even now. In the provinces of Sinope, Canik, Trebizond and Kaffa.
I'm highly unsure about this but Calabria might be Greek? Did they form a majority in Calabria in 1444?
Arvanitet culture in Athens (or Albanian if you want). They formed the majority in Athens until they adopted Greek for national unity in the new kingdom of Greece.

Caucasian:
Ganja and Melikates could be a new culture, Caucasian Albanian (or Udi as we call them now). Last survivor majorities until they become Azerbaijani.
Abkhazia, because of it's role in Georgia's historical unification, could be justified as Abkhazian probably. One province culture but Abkhazians aren't even in the same language group with Georgians, I think they deserve their own culture.

Finno-Ugric:
There is a thread in suggestions about Livland and Dorpat being Estonian. You could add this aswell.
Finland please become Finnish ,_,
Halogaland should be Sami.

Baltic:
Why no Old Prussian? :eek: Maybe Memel and Ostpreussen could be justified as "not yet germanized prussians"

West Slavic:
Kashubian should be in provinces of Hinterpommern, Neumark and maybe, a big maybe, in Stettin. Someone from Poland could help more on this.

Scandinavian:
Faroarna should be Faroese (if you hate OPM cultures, just make it Norn) :D

Celtic:
Scottish being a British culture really bugs me. I would be happier if we just carried all Scotsmen to the Gaelic party, but that wouldn't be realistic. Seperating it into Scots and Scottish, Scots being a British culture, would be better.

Carpathian:
How about adding Transilvanian or making Transilvania Romanian? Also you would need to put a Székely (or Hungarian) province just in Wallachia-Transilvania border in south-east.

Lowlands Culture Group?:
I have been playing Extended Vanilla Experience mod for a while now and it has this culture group. It consists of Waloon, Dutch and Flemish but your new Frisian would also fit perfectly fine.

And a wild suggestion:
Langue'doc group with Occitan and Catalan in it! Arpitan is seen seperate from both Oil and Occitan languages but for the sake of French culture group, Arpitan should stay in I guess.

I'm not an expert in this topic ofc so feel free to correct my suggestions. ;)
Bosnian culture formed much to the end of the EU4 timeframe. It didn't have a different religion from 1444. Even today it isn't that much different...

Bosnian shouldn't be culture until later in the game, historically it was split between Serbian and Croat peoples and constantly jumping around if it was more Croat or Serb, the Kotromanics also wanted to reconquer Serbia since they considered themselves the last remains of the Nemanjics. Actually, the Slavs are too divided in general. The entire East Slavic group should be one culture that later slowly breaks up, South Slavic should also be single culture with maybe Bulgarian as a exception, the same should be done with West Slavic. The reason to this is because the modern cultures were just the names of tribes of a single culture that later diverged, and a sense of similarity with other Slavs always remained in all the Slavic nations, forming the base of pan-slavism, and differences were really minimal until sometime later. Heck did you see Garasanin's greater Serbia? South Slavs were so similar he just bundled them up together. That's also a reason why the Slavs were prone to infighting, since everyone considers themselves the true Slavic tribe and that all others should not exist

Last edited:
Reactions:
West Slavic:

Stettin - should stay Germanic. The Kashubian language there was already moribund by early 15th century.

Hinterpommern (Stolp) - a big yes. For most of the period Kashubian was the predominant language there, including burgers, nobility and administration. Slavic oaths were used in courts and official matters both in towns and among nobles. Only late in the period the region experienced a slow language shift into Low German, a process by no means finished by 20th century. The following map shows the most viable data on the language shift - the year in which church services in each town was shifted from Kashubian into German. This means that by that time, people were bilingual with German taking the role of the predominant language about a generation later.
Kaschub.jpg

Neumark - tentavilely it can be Kashubian, although it can stay Saxon as well. The nobility, even of clearly German descent, used Slavic names (Dobrogost, Teslaw etc) into mid 16th century, which likely marked the language shift of the ruling class.

Danzig/Pomerelia - it should be Kashubian, the only place in which Kashubian stayed a viable and predominant language thoughout the entire period. German was largely confined t towns, while most of the population, including the nobility, spoke Slavic.

Reactions:
Picard, Norman and Burgundian should probably be split off French, as Normandy retained a relatively strong degree of autonomy from the French crown and had its own Parlement at Rouen, ditto for Burgundy which had a separate Parlement at Dijon, and ditto for Artois at Arras. Occitan should probably be a fairly strongly fragmented culture; it was strongly regionalized. Splitting it into Gascon, Languedocien, Provencal, and North Occitan retains the broad political and cultural divisions of southern France in the era.

The Celtic group is an anachronism. Gaelic and Brythonic are pretty strongly different and the sense of a Celtic cultural bond was something that didn't come around until much later. Welsh, Breton, and Cornish should be one Brythonic group and Irish, Manx (if the Isle of Man is introduced as a province), and Highland Scots as a new a culture should be one Gaelic group. Scotland should be split between Highland and Lowland Scots cultures, one in the Gaelic group, one in the Anglo-Saxon group with English.

If you're fusing Bavarian and Austrian (which I agree with), then you probably shouldn't separate Pommeranian and Markish, the two were similar enough and shared a cultural and political history long enough in the era that they make as much sense as one group as Bavarian and Austrian do.

For gameplay reasons, Dutch and Frisian should be split off into their own culture group to encourage them to rebel from Austria/other German states that conquer them.

As others have mentioned, Iceland should just be Norwegian at gamestart.

Considering gameplay mechanics, Hungarian should probably fit in the South Slavic group or it will struggle to retain Croatia. I'd then move Romanian into the South Slavic group just to prevent it being an isolated culture; South Slavic works better than anything else around.

Byzantine is a more appropriate name than Hellenic if you're going to put non-Hellenic cultures in there like Albanian. It's difficult to know what to do with Albanian, it could go with in the Byzantine group or the South Slavic group and would be equally out of place in both. I'd move Armenian into the Byzantine cultural group.

There's still enough Old Prussian at the start date to justify it being a separate culture in the Baltic group with a few of the Teuton provinces being Old Prussian.

Just some thoughts after a brief scan.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wow, some great responses from everyone! I'll get through what I can.

First, Bosnian. Yeah, I wasn't too sure what to do with the Croats, Bosniaks, and Serbs. I figured Bogomilism was enough to Bosnian make them a separate culture, but it seems that the best thing to do is simply combine the three. The only problem I have with this is what name I should use. Serbo-Croation? Sounds a bit technical, which is why I avoided it. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Also, here's a map of Serbo-Croation dialects in the 16th century. So there's the most debated culture out of the way.

Few comments regarding Ugric and Baltic:
Dorpat should be definitely Estonian.
Livland is sort of borderline case, my personal guess would be making it Estonian but its not clear cut case, you can compare how that province would be divided by modern Estonia-Latvia border.

Looking at some maps from the era I completely agree, I will make this change. I think I just sort of skimmed over Estonia when I made this.

Maybe there should be also some Old-Prussian presence in East-Prussia, although its pretty hard to say as I don't think there is much clear information about their presence 1444 compared to Germans and germanized locals in region. Maybe someone else can comment on that.
Baltic:
Why no Old Prussian? :eek: Maybe Memel and Ostpreussen could be justified as "not yet germanized prussians
There's still enough Old Prussian at the start date to justify it being a separate culture in the Baltic group with a few of the Teuton provinces being Old Prussian.

I'm surprised people even noticed Old Prussian was gone. The only map around this time period for languages/cultures was this one. And during this time period the majority of people in Memel were actually Lithuanian. One of the things I worry about with smaller countries like the Teutonic Order is that with enough Old Prussian provinces Old Prussian could become an accepted culture, which historically doesn't make much sense and is the main reason I kept Prussia German.

Yeah, us Albanians don't fit with either Hellenic or South Slavic culture groups, but in the spirit of the EU4 game mechanics, it's more South Slavic.
Well, yes. Albanians are in south slavic group just for balance. Playing Albania is impossible enough this way.

I'll put Albanian back in South Slavic. I honestly don't remember why I put it in Hellenic.

There should not be Celtic group, multiple times I've heard that Celtic wasn't even concept before 19th century and that instead it should be Gaelic group that includes Irish and Scottish, while Welsh, Cornish and Breton should be in Brythonic group.
Celtic:
The Celtic group is an anachronism. Gaelic and Brythonic are pretty strongly different and the sense of a Celtic cultural bond was something that didn't come around until much later. Welsh, Breton, and Cornish should be one Brythonic group and Irish, Manx (if the Isle of Man is introduced as a province), and Highland Scots as a new a culture should be one Gaelic group. Scotland should be split between Highland and Lowland Scots cultures, one in the Gaelic group, one in the Anglo-Saxon group with English.

Excellent suggestions! Hopefully we'll see an Isle of Man in the next patch with the province overhaul, and in that case there definitely should be Manx. I will have a Goidelic/Gaelic group with Irish and Scottish; Brittonic/Brythonic group with Welsh, Cornish, and Breton; and Scots will be in the British group separate from Scottish.

Pontic should be it's own culture due to the differences that emerged in the aftermath of separation from mainland Greece and I'm pretty sure Albanian belongs in the South Slavic group from a cultural standpoint.
Hellenic:

I might add Pontic, but I can't find much information about the language during this time period. Greeks did form a majority in Calabria in 1444, but where quickly being Latinized.

Where the heck is Uyghur? And why is Kyrgyz and Khazak with the Tartars? If anything these two need to be in the Altaic/Mongol group with Uzbek, Mongol, Oirat, Korchin, and Khalka. And again, where is Uyghur?

Uyghur is east of Uzbek in the Karluk culture group, easy to miss. The Khazaks and Tartars are together due to them both being Kipchak.

Hungarians and Romanians in same culture group? I think that is not accurate.
Hungarian and Romanian together? What?
Carpathian:

They're both culture isolates surrounded by and heavily influenced by Slavs which is where they draw their similarities. Originally I left Hungarian in the Magyar group and put Romanian in its own Vlach group, but figured they would disappear pretty quickly in an actual game of EU4

While Gutnish has a strong argument for the time period (as it's a culture as old as Swedish), Icelandic was still not clearly separate from Norwegian. I've gone on about this in previous threads, but I'll do it again: while Norwegian and Icelandic had been growing distinct for a long time, having a common crown, cultural background, and language kept them too similar to reasonably split in EU4 terms.

Now, I'm not saying Norwegian is older than Icelandic. At the EU4 start date, Norwegian was Icelandic. In EU4 terms, Norway was gradually culture-converted to Danish, with the southeast (Akershus, Eidsiva, Agder) becoming Danish, and the rest of Norway becoming a sort of Dano-Norwegian melting pot, with Iceland retaining its old culture since it was hard for the Danes to administer. In 1444, Norway still spoke Old Norse, which is much more closely related to modern Icelandic than both middle Danish and modern Danish and Norwegian. They still had their quasi-democratic customs and no centralised power. In short, they were still very much Norsemen, and the Norwegians as they exist today (formed by a 400-year period of Danish suzerainty causing the nobility to adopt Danish customs) did not exist.

The start of the erosion of Old West Norse culture can be traced back to the Black Death. Yes, that was significantly before 1444, but it was a slow process. While very few literate people were left in Norway after the plague, the ones that did wrote Old Norse, not Middle Danish (read: Norwegian-to-be), albeit with poor grasp of grammar (note that Old Norse and Icelandic had cases, while modern Scandinavian languages do not).

'But they referred to themselves as Icelanders!' is not a strong counter-argument; by the same token, Scania should be Scanian, Jutland should be Jutlander, and every goddamn province in Norway should have its own culture in 1444.
Scandinavian:
Faroarna should be Faroese (if you hate OPM cultures, just make it Norn)

At the game's start all the previously Old Norse languages were coming into there own and were pretty much just dialects of each other other than the East/West Norse divide. The Danishization(?) of Norway did quickly "culture convert" Norwegian but there's no way to represent that in-game, so having them start out as separate cultures is the simplest solution. Icelandic had already started to diverge from Norwegian as a dialect during this time period, so even if Norway hadn't of been Danishized(?) it still would of drifted from Norwegian due to its isolation (then again a lot of Norwegian dialects formed even on the mainland due to isolation). The Norse languages and cultures are so similar its hard to draw a line, especially with a game that doesn't simulate cultures dynamically.

I'll change the northern isles to Norwegian, I think I misunderstood my source and thought they were Scottish during the game's start.

West Slavic:

Stettin - should stay Germanic. The Kashubian language there was already moribund by early 15th century.

Hinterpommern (Stolp) - a big yes. For most of the period Kashubian was the predominant language there, including burgers, nobility and administration. Slavic oaths were used in courts and official matters both in towns and among nobles. Only late in the period the region experienced a slow language shift into Low German, a process by no means finished by 20th century. The following map shows the most viable data on the language shift - the year in which church services in each town was shifted from Kashubian into German. This means that by that time, people were bilingual with German taking the role of the predominant language about a generation later.
Kaschub.jpg

Neumark - tentavilely it can be Kashubian, although it can stay Saxon as well. The nobility, even of clearly German descent, used Slavic names (Dobrogost, Teslaw etc) into mid 16th century, which likely marked the language shift of the ruling class.

Danzig/Pomerelia - it should be Kashubian, the only place in which Kashubian stayed a viable and predominant language thoughout the entire period. German was largely confined t towns, while most of the population, including the nobility, spoke Slavic.

I'll add the Kashubian culture to the West Slavic group and to the provinces of Stolp and Danzig.

French - Better than "Cosmopolitaine" for sure
Picard, Norman and Burgundian should probably be split off French, as Normandy retained a relatively strong degree of autonomy from the French crown and had its own Parlement at Rouen, ditto for Burgundy which had a separate Parlement at Dijon, and ditto for Artois at Arras. Occitan should probably be a fairly strongly fragmented culture; it was strongly regionalized. Splitting it into Gascon, Languedocien, Provencal, and North Occitan retains the broad political and cultural divisions of southern France in the era.

I redid the French group a few times. Originally I had the French group divided like this:

French
-Frankish (Wallonian)
-Burgundian
-Francien (Cosmopolitaine)
-Norman
-Armorican
-Poitevin
-Gascon
-Languedocien (Aquitaine)
-Provençal (Occitain)
-Arpitan

I thought it might make France too divided, but maybe this would be more accurate.

Caucasian:

Would you happen to have any sources or maps for this? I can find anything on Caucasuan Albanians during this time period. And looking at Abkhaz it looks like its related to Circassian so I'll make Abkhazia Circassian.

Lowlands Culture Group?:
For gameplay reasons, Dutch and Frisian should be split off into their own culture group to encourage them to rebel from Austria/other German states that conquer them.

I'm not sure about this. It seems like they would be converted away pretty quickly and easily away (especially under Austria). I'll try out the Extended Vanilla Experience mod.

If you're fusing Bavarian and Austrian (which I agree with), then you probably shouldn't separate Pommeranian and Markish, the two were similar enough and shared a cultural and political history long enough in the era that they make as much sense as one group as Bavarian and Austrian do.

Quite true. I'll combine them both into Pomeranian.

I'll update the map this Wednesday, excellent suggestions!

I'm not sure about this. It seems like they would be converted away pretty quickly and easily away (especially under Austria). I'll try out the Extended Vanilla Experience mod.

Maybe I can shed a bit of light on this for you. I would also like to note that in EVE Frisian culture does exist within the low countries group but Talilu must have missed that :)

I made the low countries culture group in EVE for several reasons:
1. The AI is more willing to conquer provinces that are within the same culture group, so having a group for the whole of the seventeen provinces means that countries residing within the group are likely to attempt to unify the seventeen provinces, which I very much like the idea of. Also this means that German culture countries are less likely to rampage into the low countries therefore focusing on Germany.
2. It makes the land harder to control by German countries, like Austria which often holds the land.
3. It removes Dutch and Flemish from the German culture union.
4. It allows the Netherlands to be a culture union.

There are some problems with making the culture group though, such as having to place Wallonian outside of the French group, which is kinda weird from the French perspective but I think it is worthwhile cost to pay.

As to what you said, that it would incentivise the Austrian AI converting the culture, I have not observed this but then again I do not explicitly look for it but if it was happening consistently I would have noticed.

Last edited:
Quoting myself from another thread.

Not exactly.
Additionally a new Mazur culture should be added comprising entire Masovia and southern Prussia (roughly corresponding to Osterode and Ortelsburg in the new map from the April 22nd teaser). Masovia was an entirely separate culture (called Mazur) with language related but unintelligible with Polish, since Polish is a mix of Great Polish, Little Polish and Silesian dialects. Only after the incorporation of Masovia into Poland, the slow assimilation into mainstream Polish began. This assimilation left out Mazurs living in East Prussia who became Protestant and formed the Mazur ethnic group which disappeared only after the post-1945 mass population transfers.

Mazurs formed majority in south East Prussia even in early 20th century. Their nobility became assimilated into German culture only in late 18th century.

andha1921k045a.jpg

Reactions:
Flemish culture in Limburg has always been bugging me. If you look at the provinces that make up the Netherlands today, it's the only Flemish culture province. But the thing is, it's such a border area that I don't know what it should be given. Compared to its neighbors, Brabant (which is Flemish), Breda (which is Dutch) and Aachen (which is Rheinlander) I'd say it's more like Brabant and Aachen. But the former would make it Dutch, which it really isn't (compared to a province like Holland or Zeeland). And making it Rheinlander would mean turning it German...

I'm kind of biased since I'm from the province itself, and I have a hard time imagining what the differences between the three cultures were 500 years ago. Today a lot of the differences between Dutch and Flemish have come out of a political and religious divide between 1580 and 1800.

Because "culture" in EU4 seems to be heavily dependant on language and throughout the whole EU4 period "Scots" a Germanic language that is incredibly similar to English was dominate in Scotland. It makes perfect sense.

Except that the English language was dominant in Wales throughout the game's timeperiod (certainly at least among nobles and landowners.) Not to mention, Scots didn't come to dominate Scotland until around the middle of the game's timeline.

About the Caucasian Albanians, I went with their current location in Azerbaijan, which is Ganja and Melikates region roughly. Those areas are mountainous (so harder to colinize), thats why I though they would form the final majorities in the region. But as you can see, its just a guess of mine. I don't think there are any Demographics on that region other than hard to find Caucasian Albanian/Georgian/Armenian chronicles.

You can focus a bit more on the Iranian group:

- For example Northern Afghanistan/Tajikistan should have the Tajik ethnic group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajiks). This can be used to cover other Iranic people in C. Asia as well who faced the Altaic onslaught during the rise of the Mongols/Turks.

- Pashtun is the more commonly used term to describe ethnic "Afghans". Afghan can mean any person from an ethnic group inhabiting modern day Afghanistan (Hazaras, Tajiks, Pamiris are all Afghans). Using "Afghan" isn't necessarily wrong as it has been used as a synonym for Pashtuns but Pashtun adds more detail to the game and gives the chance to single out other ethnic groups in the region like Tajiks.

- Pamiris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamiri_people) can be added to North East Afghanistan and Baltistan in Northern Pakistan.

My main historical interest is WW2, but one interesting thing I picked up was that Transylvania was predominantly Romanian, with some aggressive Magyarisation prior to the break up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. To me, in EUIV terms that would mean changing the culture of the 2 southernmost Transylvanian cores from Hungarian to Romanian.