• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cmid02

Private
27 Badges
Mar 24, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hello all,
I was just wondering if you could help me out in my current game. I have the basic handle on the game but am just a casual player, so any help from you experts would be much appreciated.

I started as the lowest level clan leader within Otukin (Northern steppe area) with a liege. I worked my way up to conquer the northern border limits down to Samarkand. (started at the earliest date ~700ce) The Mongol horde appeared and completely annihilated the dominant steppe clan in the area. They went on to completely wipe out anything South of modern day Russia. Upon their arrival, I made sure to send a gift and buy a favor from Temujin to have one of my daughters marry one of his son for a non-aggressive pact. I also made sure to join any of his conquests, as it increased his opinion of me for free as they are going to win any war regardless of my involvement or not.

So... long story short, my daughter died dissolving any non-aggression pact. In addition, Temujin is still alive at 69 years old with around 12 children. I kind of "cheated" and simulated my game to when Temujin dies to see if the insanely large stack disappears with him...and it doesn't. (What?!) In addition, there was no fracturing of the empire as anticipated, and even if it had the Mongols have around 120K in troops which would easily crush any opposition.

So my plan to wait out the Mongols until people started dying has not come to fruition. Now I would have to assassinate like 20+ characters to dissolve the Temujin blood line as Temujin had so many children and they have children. Obviously the successor doesn't want any marriage ties to my character as I am probably next on the hit list.

In my "this doesn't count" ;) simulation, the Mongols eventually attacked me and I tried gorilla warfare but they just split their armies into like 6 separate stacks worth 20k+ each. It is impossible to beat.

*Also I would have to check again, but I don't think I can swear fealty. I thought about doing that... but even in that case, I would never be able to beat the large Mongol stacks in a bid for independence.

Is my game basically over?

Last edited:
It sounds like you are an emperor-tier nomad. If so:
  • You will be unable to swear fealty to the Mongols.
  • You might be able to offer to become a tributary. This is very costly - but at least you don't lose your land...
  • You could also try settling as tribal/feudal, and then swear loyalty to the Mongols. (I think that settling will downgrade you from emperor-tier to king-tier.) As a landed vassal, you are relatively safe from nomadic AI overlords.
NB: Non-aggression pacts are still useful, however you deal with this, as they give an extra layer of protection in case your overlord starts getting uppity. (Eg: demanding provinces/titles; releasing you as a tributary and insta-attacking; etc.)

Hello jonjowett,
You are correct, I am "Khagan" (father was first to be Genghis Khan). I believe the Mongols arrived around year 800(!?), but maybe they failed history courses in school :D

Thank you for taking the time to comment, much appreciated.

The non-aggression pacts are the only thing I could think of to stop them, albeit temporarily. But for obvious reasons, they are almost impossible to manufacture with them as they are so dominate and expansive. As stated previously, I just know I'm next...

Do these ridiculous stacks ever disappear?
I don't mind the one time appearance of these huge numbers, as they are needed to somewhat simulate the invasion; but if they can be used in perpetuity then what is the point of playing in the East? (or at all for that matter?) The opposition coalition is inconsequential when we are talking about 100K manpower.

What is the point of playing if all you are doing is just getting wiped from armies you can't ever defeat?

Do these ridiculous stacks ever disappear?

The Mongols' event armies are large (and, importantly, they are not subject to supply limits) - but they are also non-reinforcing. This means that you can, in theory, wear them down through repeated wars and battles, until their event troops are all dead. (However, I vaguely recall that they receive another large event army if they are still Tengri after N years. N = 50?)

That said, if they spawn in in the year 800, you're going to be in trouble: Most people (including myself, but not Mr 1 Year World Conquest) would need at least 100 years of playtime from an early start date before they would have the tech or realm size to effectively resist the Mongol invasion. And, even then, you'll probably lose a kingdom or two.

Maybe set the relevant gamerule to Delayed Random next time?