• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aotrs Commander

Lt. General
90 Badges
Apr 15, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines
Are there are mods out which add a reasonably decent amount of new toys (mechs/weapons/flashpoints etc) that allow in-mission saves?

I tried BattleTech Advanced and discovered it didn't - right about the time an UrbanMech with a COIL blew the arm off my Shadowhawk in the first half-skull mission (and that it was RogueTech that originated that, because of stability issues and with no sign of it returning), and I was very disappointed, because that's simply a deal-breaker for me.

I'm not fond of not being able to reload at the best of times, but at the moment, I simply cannot even consider adding stress that causes (because I simply do NOT enjoy having to go back and do stuff again and again) in the only thing I can do at the moment that is any kind of stress relief (since every single one of my other hobbies had been taken out). It's just not sensible when I'm on my last nerve. (Hell, I'm so highly strung right now, Frostpunk reduced me to punching the wall three times last week.)

I'm not particularly interested in difficulty (I don't find that particularly fun) - which I suspect takes out stuff like BattleTech Revised which is by its own admission designed to be hard - but more in just having a few more toys to play with at this point.

I appreciate that this is probably a moon-on-a-stick-level unreasonable ask[1], but I figured I might as well make the attempt, in desparation.

[1]Edit: Clarification (tn case that game across as churlish when I posted late last night): It is generally the case that most ladies and gentleman that make extensive mods (i.e. the sort that add extra content) almost by definition want to change things up to either make the game more challenging for themselves or other people who want something more than the vanilla game, which often means a difficulty increase (often roundly welcomed by the vast majority of the audience) and/or such impressive and extensive changes that it strains the limits of the game program (in the case of BTA/RT, borking the in-mission save system). And I cannot reasonably expect them to want to be doing (for nowt) basically the unfun programming complex-bug-fixing work that a dev doing it as their day job would be doing, for what it likely to said ladies and gentleman, not what they or probably almost everyone else who uses the mod considers a necessary issue simply for the sake of the vanishing minority of people (like me) for whom it is. Which sort of places me in a grey area.

Last edited:
I mostly play at work (it's good to own the company) and so I often have to save and quit to do something that comes up.

Hyades Rim has no problem with in mission saves except that occasionally a mission with "Pacify the area" as a mission requirement will not finish when the Opfor is dead and the objective taken, so you have to do Restart Mission.

I mostly play at work (it's good to own the company) and so I often have to save and quit to do something that comes up.

Aside from my own dislike of not being able to save, prior to June, it was possible to be called away at any second to my grandmother; and the week after she died, I started having random shut-downs on the PC (June was the worst month I have ever had). We tracked that initially to a surge suppressor, had another couple of months with no problem, then had a sudden drop-out again the other week; I've replaced the PSU this time (it was seven years old), but it's still a danger it might be the motherboard and the problem may re-occur...

Hyades Rim has no problem with in mission saves except that occasionally a mission with "Pacify the area" as a mission requirement will not finish when the Opfor is dead and the objective taken, so you have to do Restart Mission.

Okay, that sounds promising, thanks. Looking at the thread just, sounds like there's an upcoming campaign as well, so bare minimum one to file away for future reference (when my Clan Invasion kickstarter mechs eventually come through sometime next year, I'll definitely be wanting to play BT again whatever. I was half-intended to save RT/BTA until then, but decided to dip my toe into it last night...)

(I might, since it took so long to download (and I'm not 100% sure how to UN-install it), tentatively prod a bit at BTA again - I don't feel like wrestling with Frostpunk again just yet - there is a LOT good about it; really it's the save thing (which is BIG for me, given how hard the RNG screws me, see aboive COIL Urbie on first mission and lower arm/hand actuators ?i can't rteplace ha. Ha. Ha.) And the fact they seem to have scaled the mechs down to "actual size" as opposed to the oversize I think HBS did, which means they (at least in that urban mission) came across as a bit small) is a slight fly in the ointment, but it is otherwise really impressive,m fo be totally fair to BTA/Roguetech and all sub-modders.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The inability to save is my biggest gripe with mods in general, and with Battletech Revised in particular. It's not uncommon for a low skull mission to have 2-3 enemy lances and balance out the difficulty by adding a friendly AI lance. Plus turrets aren't uncommon. Add in the glacial load times and the result is that missions can take hours. I hate having to base my in game decisions on whether or not I have time for a 3 hour mission with no saving.

Reactions: