• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Petrus66

Age of Iron Dev
61 Badges
May 19, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Welcome everyone to my new project. My name is Lonely Modder and I am the dev of the Age of Iron modification. Because some time ago I decided to expand the modification to several starting dates and / or more detailed regions, it was necessary to change the brand. From now on, new modifications will have Ancient Chronicles before their proper name, starting with the first one, Ancient Chronicles: Age of Iron.

startscreen.png

Mods in the project:
1) Age of Iron
2) Rise of Ashur
3) Elder Scrolls: First Age (in the making)

In case of questions, bugs or if you want to chat:
Discord: https://discord.gg/URWapTtjqp

Also a manual versions of the mods included in the project (may contain bugs of course):
https://github.com/LonelyModder/IAOOD
https://github.com/LonelyModder/IAKOK

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Dev Diary 1: Change of Concept
Dev Diary 1: Change of Concept

Greetings to all fans of antiquity. For a while I wasn't very active, but I didn't forget about you and wanted to share what I've been doing lately.
startscreen.png

As you probably know, the work on the famous Bronze Age mod was slowed down some time ago due to a crash of the map editor, but that's it.Together with Pureon and Snowlet, we managed to fix it and therefore I returned to the concept that one of you suggested some time ago. Solving the faction limit problem by compressing the map to the Middle East area.

Screenshot 2022-05-11 20-45-46.png

Until the map will be ready I will give you a choice of the new mod time period. The options are:
1) Make my desired Late Bronze Age Hammurabi mod or after the daring sack of Babylon by the Hittite King Mursili.
2) The transfer of the Iron Age mod, where you could in more detail learn about the interesting situation in which the inhabitants of the Middle East found themselves right after the Bronze Age crisis passed.
3) After all, the modifications are made for you, so if any of you have a better idea for the launch date and manage to convince others, peoples will is law.
Adding the roads again will take me some time and I will have to play with the map files, so feel free to express your opinion.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Sounds great, my personal preference would be for the late Bronze Age scenario. Irrespective of your decision I’ll keep my eye on this, imperator can always do with more total conversions. Keep up the good work

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sounds great, my personal preference would be for the late Bronze Age scenario. Irrespective of your decision I’ll keep my eye on this, imperator can always do with more total conversions. Keep up the good work
Thank you. Since I don't have much time lately I decided to bring the Age of Iron timestamp to a Middle East map and after that, instead of deleting the old mod, to modify it pushing it's date forward. The dev diary will be later cause I had two annoying bugs connected to the adaptation of BA unit graphics and trees.

since there will be this new project, however, users will be able to continue playing with the old mod on the iron age in Steam version that contains the game map that goes from the Iberian peninsula to india?

since there will be this new project, however, users will be able to continue playing with the old mod on the iron age in Steam version that contains the game map that goes from the Iberian peninsula to india?
Yes don't worry It will take some time until the project will be finished and until then the old one will stay. I decided against huge changes in older mod. When the middle eastern campaign will be released (the one on the BA map). I will update graphics in old one and push start date forward (only a bit it will stay in Iron Age) to a new yet unseen period.

I have a problem with the dev branch manual version of the Iron Age mod, in the paradox launcher screen the mod is displayed, but when I activate it at the end I do not see the game map on the Iron Age, but the classic map of the emperor rome game. How can I resolve the problem ?

Last edited:
I have a problem with the dev branch manual version of the Iron Age mod, in the paradox launcher screen the mod is displayed, but when I activate it at the end I do not see the game map on the Iron Age, but the classic map of the emperor rome game. How can I solve the problem ?
I updated the last working changes and also updated the github version like second ago. You mean instead of the IA factions the game loads the standard antiquity map? Did the game loads menu graphics as well or does not see the mod at all? Is the mod pluged in from the starting app (the one that starts from steam)?

Yes, the dev branch manual version mod doesn' t load the graphic menù and the game map of the iron Age mod, but It shows only the map and the graphic menù of the Vanilla imperator rome. Is the problem maybe descriptor file ?

Yes, the dev branch manual version mod doesn' t load the graphic menù and the game map of the iron Age mod, but It shows only the map and the graphic menù of the Vanilla imperator rome. Is the problem maybe descriptor file ?
Well I forgot about it but the manual versions may need the *.mod files. I added a mod file called IAOOD just drag it into mod directory outside of IA folder.
PS It's not for the steam version since steam adds these files manually.

Last edited:
I have again some problems about the IAOOD descriptor file in the manual version of this mod, I tried to active the descriptor file and it appears me in the Paradox launcher screen, though a writing appears next to it and it says " installation of this mod failed, the path in this mod's descriptor file is invalid or doesn't exist".

Last edited:
I have again some problems about the IAOOD descriptor file in the manual version of this mod, I tried to active the descriptor file and it appears me in the Paradox launcher screen, though a writing appears next to it and it says " installation of this mod failed, the path in this mod's descriptor file is invalid or doesn't exist".
Cause you probably need to correct the path by fixing user name (or copying path to mod directory) in mod file. Open the IAOOD.mod file in text editor and fix the line below.
path="C:/Users/Darth Petrus/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator/mod/IAOOD"
Then fill it with the path to the mod folder. Just remember to place the IAOOD.mod file in Imperator/mod/ folder and everything should be ok.

Reactions:
excuse me, but I didn't understand well, what should I write in place of path ="C:/Users/Darth Petrus/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator/mod/IAOOD" in the text editor ?

Last edited:
excuse me, but I didn't understand well, what should I write in place of path ="C:/Users/Darth Petrus/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Imperator/mod/IAOOD" in the text editor ?
Every file or folder in the computer system has a path. The path is a sort of address that helps programs locate the file they need. In this case the game needs the path to show the location of the IAOOD folder that you downloaded from github. As I said you need to:
1) Put the folder into the C:\Users\[your pc account name]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Imperator\mod
2) Take the IAOOD.mod file out of the folder and into the Imperator\mod location next to it
3) Change the Darth Petrus in the path to whatever your system account name is or alternatively check the path in the IAOOD properties (right clicking)
The *.mod file (that steam generates automatically) is essentially a copy of descriptor file just with the added path to a mod. folder.

Reactions:
Dev Diary 2: Trip to Egypt
Dev Diary 2: Trip to Egypt
Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-31-45.png

As I mentioned before, I don't have as much time as I used to and I still have an additional project on my mind, so I decided with the blessing of Svanley (the original author of the Bronze Age mod) to transfer the Early Iron Age modification to the Middle East map from the Bronze Age mod. Therefore, in today's DD we will travel, among others to Africa and we will visit the holy land for a short while.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-31-24.png

Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-31-29.png

We will start our trip from Cyrenaica before the arrival of Greek settlers. These lands during the Early Iron Age were inhabited by semi-nomadic Libyan tribes. During the fall of the Bronze Age, there was a mass migration of the Meshwesh and Libu (hence the name Libyans) tribes inhabiting this area. Their place was taken by new tribes known from the Greek chronicles: Abystae, Auschisae and Bacale. The Nessamonians lived further inland, and the short-lived Tire colony of Aziris was established on the coast.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-31-45.png
Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-31-49.png

As for Egypt, at that time there was a revolt of Libyan troops from the meshwesh tribes mentioned above. The Libyans decided to make one of their own king. The new ruler, however, was unable to ensure order and was not recognized throughout the country, which resulted in mass looting. Fortunately, the previous rulers of the 21st dynasty decided to hide the mummies of the previous pharaohs, which allowed them to survive to our times.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 17-21-57.png

Screenshot 2022-05-26 17-20-28.png

Due to the difficulties in the supply of iron and other metals, the Egyptian army could not afford to forge full armor sets, such as the Assyrians (which is why, unlike them, they are usually depicted with lighter armor), therefore I decided that the bronze age models are quite realistic (and they look awsome, I have to admit it).
Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-31-56.png

Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-32-00.png

As for ethnic minorities among Egyptians, I know only one scribe's text saying that his colleague has a delta accent crossed with an elefantine accent, but since these are border regions, it is possible that he simply insulted him :). As for the situation in Upper Egypt, there was a plunder there as in the north. Pharaoh's control over these areas was, however, little, and the real power was exercised by the priests of Amun in Thebes, who nevertheless maintained an appearance of loyal subjects.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-32-10.png

In Nubia, however, the lack of control by Egypt brought local elites back. By the way, the story of the last viceroy, which I have already presented before, deserves a movie. Nevertheless, I will repeat it. During the reign of the last ruler of the 20th dynasty, Ramses XI, in Thebes, the high priest was removed from his post. He turned for help to the pharaoh who sent him a corps of Nubian soldiers, but later a disagreement between the viceroy of Nubia and the priest arose and on the order of the ruler, Penehesi (governor of Nubia) was forced to withdrew his soldiers. The viceroy, unable to accept the loss of influence and importance, denounced the obedience to the pharaoh and soon entered Thebes again with his army. After conquering the city, he marched north where there was an unresolved battle. Seeing no chance of winning, the Nubians withdrew, ravaging Thebes and the royal tombs. Years later, the new high priest negotiated with Penehesi, asking in a letter if he was still loyal to the king (who had meanwhile lost power and became a puppet) which is strange considering his actions and is a cause of debates to this day.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-32-21.png

Screenshot 2022-05-26 16-32-17.png

Finally, we will briefly visit Canaan, where I admit that the new map will certainly be better at reflecting the complex relationships between the ethnic groups of the region. As an example, I will mention that the election of the first Israelite king was caused, among other things, by a compromise between the most powerful tribes of Judah and Menasseh. Hence, the choice fell on Saul, from the small tribe of Benjamin. The compromise did not last long because David, who claimed the throne after Saul's death, came from the tribe of Judah, and the Menassah tribe could not agree to his ascension. Israel's new ruler will have more nationalities to control than just two, and his task will be to unite the tribes into one nation.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 18-09-50.png

Sorry for the long absence but I hope it was worth it. If you have any suggestions, feel free to write. I am still considering separating the Israelites as there are more of them now with the Canaanites. Also the Philistines would be more to my liking as a separate group as there were still related peoples in Cyprus and Crete (And for other reasons like a separate graphic design). Hope to be back soon. As for this additional project, I was thinking about making the mod also in CK3, but due to the greater complexity (and my smaller knowledge of the code) it will take time. See you soon.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Amazing project, but it looks like the Discord link is broken.

Dev Diary 3: Levantine Kingdoms
Dev Diary 3: Levantine Kingdoms
Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-45-47.png

Welcome to the latest DD where we will deal with the Levant countries jokingly called by historians the Rebel Alliance. As you can see, the pace is pretty good.The characters in the game from the previous version have been fully imported, most of the scripts work and the map itself is amazing, although the conversion to it made a lot of effort.
Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-46-50.png

The period of the game is a bit chaotic, so it is difficult to clearly state what the borders of individual countries were.Anyway, in this region these issues are still debatable (after all, we are talking about the Middle East :)).For example, sometimes Bet-Sovah and Bet-Rehob are considered to be one and the same country as Ya'udi and Samal in Syropalestine.Such inaccuracies are often caused by factions within these countries and their approach to Assyrian expansion.
Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-46-54.png

Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-47-00.png

The Lower Levant, commonly known as Canaan, after the confusion caused by the fall of the Bronze Age, was freed from the domination of the Mesopotamian and Egyptian empires. This resulted in the gradual emergence of more organized state structures.
Starting from the coast, the peoples of the sea fighting against Egypt forced the pharaoh to grant lands including Ekron, Gath, Ashdod, Ascalon and Gaza (the so-called Philistine Pentapolis). The Philistines also subjugated a local people called the Avites. In the 10th century BC, they made up about 50 percent of the Philistine population.
Their coalition partners, according to biblical and Egyptian sources (which are quite controversial), settled in Jaffa (Dannuna), Dor (Tejeker), and Akka (Shardana), respectively. The presence of Shardans in the vicinity of Akka can be indicated by structures called nurhage, which can be admired to this day (although they are smaller than those from Sardinia). About Tejeker is the so-called Wenamun's report, although it was a satire written after many years, it is hard to find a reason for it to lie to such a fact. I have already mentioned the civil war between David and Ishbaal, so I will go to the Aramaic tribes, i.e. the worry of everyone from the Sinai to the Persian Gulf.
Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-47-11.png

Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-47-17.png

The Ahlam tribes seized the opportunity to expand into all areas of the Middle East. Their attacks resembled Viking raids. Like them, they robbed temples in order to later adopt local beliefs and customs. For example, the Puqudu tribe of Babylonia was known for making pilgrimages to the city of Nippur and participating in religious festivals there.
While the Arameans appeared to be typical barbarians, this was not entirely true. In case of danger, they were able to form a coalition from Israel to Cilicia, for example in the Battle of Qarqar where they stopped the Assyrian expansion. It took decades to dismantle this alliance and required many diplomatic missions.
Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-47-38.png

Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-47-48.png

In the event of conflicts, the Arameans relied heavily on mobility and swift retreat. For example, Assyrian sources say that they cut off the water supply to Nineveh by destroying the aqueduct. The attack on Assyria itself took place from the west, where the cities to the south and north of Karkemish fell first, then between the Euphrates and the Habur river, Aramaic states such as Yahiri near Hasaki or the Temmanite State in Nisbis arose. The latter seemed to be the dominant center and was the first point of resistance for the Assyrian counteroffensive. The entire region was so dominated by the Aramaic that the name was changed from Hanigalbat to Aram-Naharaim or Aram between the rivers.
Screenshot 2022-06-11 09-47-30.png

Meanwhile, although Cyprus was an area of intense colonization of the Greeks from the 12th century, even hundreds of years later we find inscriptions in the local language, especially around the city of Amathus, whose inhabitants boasted about being the original inhabitants of the island.
I sincerely hoped that I would be able to finish this mesopotamia but there is still a lot to be established, especially in the area of the Zagros Mountains where there are many inaccuracies. As for Discord, I didn't have time to look at it properly, but when I checked the link it worked. As if what this server is called Ancient Chronicles as the name of the project. Despite the doubts and problems, as I said, we have a really good pace. So in the next DD we will go to the Persian Gulf.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Could you add an invite link to your discord? The current link just refers you to a channel, but you can't access said channel without being in the discord first.

Last edited:
Dev Diary 4: Fighting the Heresy
Dev Diary 4: Fighting the Heresy
Screenshot 2022-06-23 22-16-27.png

Hello everyone. Although the entire map has not been finished, the fight against heresy (as I denote provinces where I have not done anything yet) is still ongoing. I plan to go back to Mesopotamia so everything you see may and will change.
Coming back to the topic, the Chaldean tribes can be seen in the south by the Persian Gulf. The Chaldeans themselves, although closely related to the Arameans, are quite clearly distinguished from them in the Assyrian chronicles. They were divided into about 5-6 tribes, the largest of which was Bit-Yakin. In the initial period, the entire area they occupied was called from the name of this tribe, the "mat Bit Yâkin". The Chaldeans took advantage of the unstable situation in the country to seize power in Babylonia. It is one of them, Nabopolassar (a member of the Yakin tribe) who will finally end Assyrian rule.
In the east, we have Elam whose capital Susa and the region around it avoided the turmoil of the Dark Ages and, according to archaeologists, has preserved a stable population.
Screenshot 2022-06-23 22-16-15.png

We know very little about the situation in Dilmuna and Magana, except that their rulers decided to pay tribute to the ruler of Assyria. As the land routes to India had not yet been opened, these kingdoms continued to prosper, although the interruption caused by the Aramaic invasions in Mesopotamia caused losses. Some people infer Elamite influence from the descriptions of the tributes. It is caused by the wearing of Elamite names by the rulers of this land.
Screenshot 2022-06-23 22-16-36.png

Communication between the two powers ceased due to the seizure of the border areas by the Arameans. Among other things, the Utu tribe stands out, whose members were appreciated by the ruler of Assyria and incorporated into his personal guard.
In the Zagros mountains zamuan city states developed. Zamuans themselves were apparently of mixed Hurro-Kassite origin with the Kassite element being more prominent. When the Assyrian army visited the region Zamuans united against them and erected a wall in the mountain pass between Kirkuk and Suleymaniyah. As you all probably know it didn't worked the Arashtuans were aither killed or enslaved (they took part in building the city of Kalhu). Their allies Amekans seeing the writing on the wall left their homes and fled into the mountains.
Screenshot 2022-06-23 22-16-59.png

The map does not include the area of Lake Van or Urmia which I sincerely regret (although it may change). Of the Hurrians whose territories have been reproduced, one can distinguish, for example, Shubria, whose ruler used to receive political refugees, which exposed himself to both neighboring powers.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 22-17-19.png

Screenshot 2022-06-23 22-17-29.png

Finally, I am going to show you a little bit of Greece just recovering from the collapse of the Bronze Age. The map is not ready here yet, but I hope you will be satisfied with the approach I have chosen. We really don't have much left. Finally, I would like to invite everyone to the finally working discord (link at the beginning of the thread) and, of course, have a nice holiday, vacation and we will see you again in the next DD where I hope the whole map will be ready and I will be able to show the rest of the changes.

• 6Like
Reactions: