• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JohnathanCrow

Captain
30 Badges
Mar 31, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
Manual Download | Steam Workshop
Current version: 1.22
Compatible with: 2.8.X

patron_deities_screenshot_1.png patron_deities_screenshot_3.png patron_deities_screenshot_2.png patron_deities_screenshot_4.png patron_deities_screenshot_5.png patron_deities_screenshot_6.png

Description
This mod adds the patron deity mechanic introduced in 2.1.1 to pagan religions and adds patron saints for Christians. After this, I hope to expand with more options and flavour. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Features
  • Choose a patron deity as a pagan character
  • Choose a patron saint as a Christian character
  • Change your patron after many years of dedication

Compatibility
Compatible with 2.8.X and likely to be for future patches. Compatible with any mod that doesn't change 'decisions/conversion_decisions.txt'. A patch for Historical Immersion Project EMF module is provided.

Integration
Use/adapt the mod as you will as long as you let me know. Credit is appreciated.

Installation
Code:
[B]Manual Installation[/B]
    1. Delete old versions, just in case
    2. Extract the folder and .mod file to 'Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod'

[B]Historical Immersion Pack Patch[/B]
    1. Go to 'Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\patron_deities\patches'
    2. Select 'emf' if using any HIP set-up that includes the EMF module
    3. Copy the decisions folder to 'Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\patron_deities'
    3. Merge folders, then select 'Copy and Replace' when prompted
    4. Open 'Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\patron_deities.mod' with a text editor
    6. Remove the hashtag (#) before "HIP - Historical Immersion Project" (if you have a custom installation folder name, rename it to that)
    7. Save and exit

Note: You only need to apply a patch for the EMF module of HIP.

Changelog
Code:
[B]1.22[/B]
* Fixed conversion_decisions.txt for latest vanilla version
* Started preparation for more features

[B]1.21[/B]
* Removed all defensive patrons in favour of vanilla decisions

[B]1.20[/B]
* Updated compatability patch for HIP/EMF
* Removed Slavic patrons in favor of vanilla decision

[B]1.19[/B]
* Fixed patron reselection event option not working
* Added Yazidi patrons removal to the reselection event
* Added Yazidi patrons removal to the conversion events

[B]1.18[/B]
* Included a compatibility patch for HIP/EMF
* Added patron deities for Yazidi characters
* Updated conversion_decisions.txt for compatibility with 2.7.1
* Fixed an unclosed bracket in 'decisions/patrons_decisions.txt'
* Removed duplicate entries in 'events/patrons_events_new.txt'
* Changed Norse to Germanic in localisation files

[B]1.17[/B]
* Added French localisation (created by flo99kenzo)

[B]1.16[/B]
* Added patron deities for Celtic characters in preparation for Ancient Religions
* Enabled patrons for all members of the Zoroastrian religion group
* Made Christian characters less likely to select a patron until later in life
* Fixed religious event border not appearing on second Tengri patron list

[B]1.15[/B]
* Fixed some file name cases for Linux compatibility

[B]1.14[/B]
* Fixed reselect patron event so that it only fires once per ruler, yet again
* Reduced piety and prestige gain from staying loyal during reselection event
* Updated compatibility patch for VIET Immersion

[B]1.13[/B]
* Removed language placeholders in localisation file so they default to English
* Included a compatibility patch for VIET Immersion
* Fixed .mod file to include dependencies section

[B]1.12[/B]
* Fixed patron reselection not clearing flag for some Christian Saints
* Changed bonus for St. Thomas to a working character modifier
* Included a compatibility patch for Project Balance
* Included a readme file

[B]1.11[/B]
* Added new decision icons (created by AnaxXiphos)
* Fixed reselect patron event so that it only fires once per ruler, again
* Reduced time for reselection event to fire from 30 years to 25
* Reduced piety and prestige gain from staying loyal during reselection event

[B]1.10[/B]
* Added three more patron saints for Christian characters
* Fixed patron reselection event so that it only fires once per ruler

[B]1.09[/B]
* Added patron deities for Aztec characters
* Added an event that lets you reselect patron later in life
* Cleared modifiers when a character converts to another religion
* Made AI less likely to take a patron
* Fixed localisation errors

[B]1.08[/B]
* Added patron deities for Tengri characters
* Made AI more likely to take a patron
* Added modifiers for piety and traits
* Disabled decision for unlanded characters
* Disabled decision for infirm or possessed characters

[B]1.07[/B]
* Added patron angels for Zoroastrian characters
* Reduced fertility malus for Christian patrons to -10% (previously -20%)

[B]1.06[/B]
* Added patron saints for Christian characters (minus Iconoclast)
* Enabled patron deities for reformed religions
* Added placeholder decision icon
* Improved localisation
* Edited Hindu event modifier localisation
* Fixed localisation errors

[B]1.05[/B]
* Added patron deities for Suomenusko characters
* Added patron deities for West African characters
* Fixed some localisation errors

[B]1.04[/B]
* Added patron deities for Romuva characters

[B]1.03[/B]
* Added patron deities for Hellenic characters

[B]1.02[/B]
* Changed included Norse deities
* Simplified modifiers
* Added patron deities for Slavic characters

[B]1.01[/B]
* Fixed localisation bugs

[B]1.00[/B]
* Added patron deities for Norse characters

Credits
Johnathan Crow (Mod Author)
AnaxXiphos (Decision Icon Graphics)
flo99kenzo (French Localisation)
omega20056 (Yazidi Patrons)

Last edited:
Yeah, will do soon. I'm writing a changelog where the features will be listed in more depth.

Edit: Also fixed a typo in the .mod file! Sorry to anyone who might have downloaded beforehand.

Last edited:
Kudos for jumping on this so quickly.

I'm afraid I don't really know enough about religions to make many useful suggestions. Two ideas do spring to mind however; St. Peter for Catholic and Orthodox characters with his patronage providing a piety bonus; and Anansi for West African Pagans with, of course, a bonus to intrigue.

I suppose Aztec deities should be a secondary consideration as well. Again, I don't know too much about them but I'd hazard that Quetzalcoatl, the god of knowledge (among other things) would provide a boost to learning.

I was hoping for a Aesir/Vanir decision for the Norse, with the Vanir affecting opinion or prestige since they are somewhat secondary to the Aesir. Maybe after I've covered some other religions I'll add a third set of options for more alternative, darker deities.

A few flavour events for each patron deity might be something to think about further down the line as well.

While stepping outside of the Great Hall to relieve myself, I spotted a one eyed raven perched on a nearby tree. It appeared to be watching me.

>This is a sure sign that my patron deity, Odin, favours me (adds prestige/piety)
>The Allfather requires me to follow this bird, I know it (chance of finding varying amounts of gold)
>I care not for superstitious signs (lose piety/PD:Odin)

Etc. etc.

well here are some ideas

Norse

Loki: bonus to intrigue, assasination and plots
Thor: Bonus to military and offensive combat modifiers
Odin: Bonus to diplomacy and defensive combat modifiers (or bonus to general opinion

Hellenic:

Mars: Bonus to military and special event called Tubilistrium which increases levies
Juno: bonus to diplomacy and vassal opinion
Minerva: bonus to learning and increased technology rates

Maybe for Patron saints there could be

Miaphysite
saint Gregory the illuminater but i'm not sure what bonuses could be given for him. He made Armenia the first christian state by curing the king of his madness

Catholic
They could maybe have the current Pope as a patron saint which would give an opinion bonus to the pope.

Loki: bonus to intrigue, assasination and plots
Thor: Bonus to military and offensive combat modifiers
Odin: Bonus to diplomacy and defensive combat modifiers (or bonus to general opinion

Thor and Odin are already. Thor gets martial at the cost of learning, and Odin gets learning at the cost of fertility. When I have time to fully balance, all Aesir gods will likely get a small monthly prestige bonus too.

Can I use this for my own mod I planned to make or help you out some with Patron Saints?

I wanted to make a general religious enhancement mod

Overall, I think that the mechanic would work better as an actual trait. Then you could utilize the "similar" and "different" mechanics. So, if one has the "Acolyte of Odin" or "Patron god: Odin" trait, others would get an opinion boost to that character, but if someone had Loki as a patron, those with Thor will get a minus
Here are some ideas for the pagans, hope they can help:

Norse:

Frej: (Vanir) +100% fertility, -2 stewardship
Frigga: (Aesir) +2 learning, -1 health
Tyr: (A) +4 martial, -2 diplomacy, -2 learning, -2 intrigue
Freja: (V)+1 martial, +1 diplomacy, +25% fertility, small opinion boost to females, large minus to males
Baldr: (A) grants trait "attractive" (fair in the code)
Hodr: (A) Gives trait "blind", but increases all stats 1 past the malus from "blind"
Heimdallr: (A) +2 Diplomacy, +2 Martial, -6 intrigue
Bragi: (a) gives trait "poet"
Mimir: (v) +6 learning - 10 opinion, - 2 health
Kvasir (v):+4 diplomacy, -10 opinion
Hel: (Jotun blood, technically) At a -50 opinion malus, grants a+20 to health. It seems as though this character cannot die...
Surtr: (Jotun) +8 to martial, -30 opinion malus
Loki: (jotun) +4 to intrigue, +2 learning, +50% to plots and assassination chance, -30 opinion malus

i do think the ones you have in place should be altered slightly, but don't know how yet, maybe...

thor: gives trait strong, -3 to intrigue, stewardship, and learning (or maybe instead gives berserker with a smaller minus.)
odin: gives traits mystic, scholar, poet, and duelist with a huge fertility minus, like, 100(0)%

Finnic:

;Ukko: same as thor chief god, consider to be related to Thor

Loviatar: gives blind trait, +2 intrigue, -50 opinion mod

Akka: Ukko's wife. +100%fertility, -4 martial

Tuoni: Same as Hel. God of Tuonela, the underworld. Father to Loviatar
Mielikki: goddess of the hunt. adds trait hunter, +10 opinion to women, -10 to men

Nyyrikki: god of hunt, mielikki's son. Same, but the opinion mods are switched

Peko: god of crops, farming. +4 stewardship, -2 intrigue and martial

Iko-Turso: Evil sea beast and god of war. same as Tyr

Ahti: mythic hero, god of the sea. +2 martial, stewardship, -2 intrigue, learning.

Tuonetar: Tuoni's wife. Virgin of death. -1000% fertility, +10 health

Vammatar: Goddess of pain, disease, and suffering. add's traits impaler and cruel

Ilmatar: Virgin spirit of ait. -1000 fertility, +20 opinion mod

Kuu: mother of ilmatar, goddess of the moon. +4 intrigue, -4 martial

Tapio: forest spirit of hunting. Nyyrikki's dad. give's the combat trait modifiers for mountains and forest

Vellamo: Ahti's wife, seas goddess. sames as Akka, but a minus to learning instead of martial

Väinämöinen: focus of the national epic, Kalevala. same as odin

Baltic:

They just don't have that many gods. so let's see what we can do

Perkunas: same as thor

Laima: goddess of fate and fertility as well as marriage:give opinion mod, bonus to fertility 20%, - 4 martial

Deivas: chief god same as odin

Dalia: goddes of fate and property.+4 stewardship and or increases demesne, gives a minsu to martial. -4 for just stewardship, maybe 10 if demesne increase

Saulė: goddess of sun and fertility. gives +20 opinion, -2 to all stats

Ašvieniai: divine horse twins. can increase light and heavy cavalry troops at the expense to light and heavy infantry, or increase stats for decrease

Žemyna: Earth goddess. give's gardener trait

Aušrinė: The morning star, goddess of beauty. give trait attractive, - 2 martial

Gabija: protector goddess of fire.+4 martial, -2 stewardship

Ok that's all i got in me for now. if any of this is god, i'll keep going. there's a lot for the slavs so that'll take a little longer and the tengri is a bit weird.

Can I use this for my own mod I planned to make or help you out some with Patron Saints?

I wanted to make a general religious enhancement mod

I'd love some help with the patron saints, considering I don't know where to start (and I suspect a lot of research will be needed to choose the best candidates). I prefer the idea of keeping things modular, but we can definitely work towards compatibility. Besides, this mod is far from complete, so I think it's best not to incorporate it elsewhere until then at least.

@koctagon: thanks for that list of ideas, I'll definitely refer to them. Some of your modifiers seem way too strong though, and I think that adding traits (not just for the patron, but for the bonus that patrons give) will get very messy. I hope to stay close to the vanilla mechanic as closely as I can, at least until the mod has developed some. Maybe then I will expand.

Update: I did a bit of work on the Hellenic patrons, but I think I will drop that for now in favour of a more popular religion. Any ideas on the what the next most played pagan religion after Norse is? I'll be starting (and maybe finishing) the next one tonight (the basics, at least, as with Norse so far).

I was going to put up a list of Slavic gods next. I think they have the most provinces in the 867 start date, or tied with the Finns. I'll try to keep recommended bonuses less strong.

I'd love some help with the patron saints, considering I don't know where to start (and I suspect a lot of research will be needed to choose the best candidates). I prefer the idea of keeping things modular, but we can definitely work towards compatibility. Besides, this mod is far from complete, so I think it's best not to incorporate it elsewhere until then at least.

@koctagon: thanks for that list of ideas, I'll definitely refer to them. Some of your modifiers seem way too strong though, and I think that adding traits (not just for the patron, but for the bonus that patrons give) will get very messy. I hope to stay close to the vanilla mechanic as closely as I can, at least until the mod has developed some. Maybe then I will expand.

Update: I did a bit of work on the Hellenic patrons, but I think I will drop that for now in favour of a more popular religion. Any ideas on the what the next most played pagan religion after Norse is? I'll be starting (and maybe finishing) the next one tonight (the basics, at least, as with Norse so far).

Thanks, I will keep my bigger plans separate but use this for the patron stuff

I have a really good reference book for the Nestorians I can look up and I imagine an easy one for them off the bat would be Saint Thomas

Hey guys, what might be an easy way to make recommendations is to keep in mind that currently I'm planning on keeping six slots per religion. If you try to list what you feel are the six essential deities/saints per religion, that would be fantastic.

Edit: Oh, and, also keep in mind that it's hard to write modifiers for deities that are too similar to another included deity... so sometimes it might be best to consider variety over importance.

Here's six slav gods that could be good:

Dažbog: Sun god. associated with wealth and power. +1 stewardship, -1 martial

Perun: Thunderer +1 martial, -1 stewardship

Lada: Supreme goddess of love, marriage, beauty. +10 opinion, -1 intrigue

Marzanna: Goddess of winter, witchraft, and death. +2 intrigue, -10 opinion

Triglav: Three headed god with three gods within him: he ruled over the kingdoms of the sky, the earth, and the underworld and god of war. +2 martial, -2 learning

Živa: fertility goddess +10 fertility, - 1 martial