• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The check will be true so long as one of the sub curly braces is false, even if the other is true, I think the "NOT" at the beginning should be changed to "NOR".
Are you sure? Here's what the wiki says about the NOT operator: "Returns true if the enclosed condition is false. It behaves the same as NOR (i.e default operator becomes OR rather than AND inside NOT)." And here's what it says about the NOR operator: "Returns true if none of the enclosed conditions return true." It also says that since this can be confusing "for clarity NOR should be preferred in case of more than 1 condition". I would be willing to change it for clarity's sake, but I believe it is working as intended. I played an India game with this mod, and my Steel Bow Infantry didn't fire Volley.

I always interest in combine arm warfare and i wish i can do the same in ck2.
Yeah, combined arms warfare isn't really present in ck2. Instead, you get the "rule of two" cooperation between units. My mod takes the conservative approach of making cooperative tactics more viable while leaving exclusive tactics slightly more powerful. An alternative would be to turn the cooperative tactics into synergistic tactics by making them more powerful than the exclusive tactics. I considered doing that, but I decided to keep the mod closer to the vanilla approach. Another thing that I've considered is giving the cooperative tactics an additional (but lower) affinity bonus.

how do u suggest for cataphract, calvary, defense, light skirmish? I want to break the morale fast in and put the most damage in pursuit phase.
I wouldn't put all of them in the same flank. I would put a ratio of Defense 5:1 Light Skirmish in the center and ratios of Cataphract 4:1 Cavalry on the right and left flanks.

Last edited:
Are you sure? Here's what the wiki says about the NOT operator: "Returns true if the enclosed condition is false. It behaves the same as NOR (i.e default operator becomes OR rather than AND inside NOT)." And here's what it says about the NOR operator: "Returns true if none of the enclosed conditions return true." It also says that since this can be confusing "for clarity NOR should be preferred in case of more than 1 condition". I would be willing to change it for clarity's sake, but I believe it is working as intended. I played an India game with this mod, and my Steel Bow Infantry didn't fire Volley.
Oh, never mind then, I didn't check the wiki, I just assumed the difference ;)

I wouldn't put all of them in the same flank. I would put a ratio of Defense 5:1 Light Skirmish in the center and ratios of Cataphract 4:1 Cavalry on the right and left flanks.

I feel that Catataphract 4:1 Calvary is a little defenseless for the horses during charge phase. How abt Cataphract : Defense (or Shock?) (idk the ratio) for center flank and Cataphract : Calvary 4:1 for left and right flanks?

Last edited:
Any recommendation for Praetorian guard central flank?

In response to a comment left on the Steam workshop, I discovered some strange behavior.

Here's the comment
Cool mod. Just installed and played a bit as a horse lord to finally get a “retreat and ambush” tactic fire. I’m fielding a horde of LC and about 40-42% HA with an Altaic commander but I don’t seem to be getting this tactic even in the steppe. Granted, I also don’t think anyone is surviving skirmish against me either so that could be it. All in all, good work!

It seems that when used immediately within a tactic scope the location scope does not work in provinces with no holdings, thus preventing terrain checks in them. But if you move the entire "location = { NOT = { terrain = ...} }" block into leader scope, you can get the expected tactics (as long as you have a commander assigned to the flank). I have implemented that fix in both the Steam and direct download versions of the mod. I am somewhat embarrassed that I had not properly addressed the problem before. Thanks to user @acthornt for spurring me to do so.

So, in order to get Swarm tactics to fire in provinces with no holdings, a commander must be assigned to the flank (or to the enemy flank), but Swarm tactics will continue to fire in provinces with at least one holding even when the flank has no commander.

The mod also contains the new skirmish and melee tech bonuses that were introduced with v 3.1, which I had been neglecting to add because I play with pre-3.1 tech groups.

Last edited:
Is this mod compatible with Ironman?
Like with other mods, you can still enable Ironman mode to prevent yourself from cheating. But, like Whizzer says, you won't get achievements.

EDIT: removed descriptions of changes that are now mentioned in the original post

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Dumb question, are absolutely all tactics percentage tables in the original post made with the assumption of using your retinue mod?
Not a dumb question. I have kept the two mods separate so that people can use the tactics mod with their own preferred retinue mod, but I do play with both of them enabled. This has led to some inconsistency in my assumption of whether you're using my retinue mod, which I understand can be confusing.

All of the percentages in the body of the thread assume that you are using vanilla retinues, but the pdf and excel files that are attached at the bottom of the original post assume that you are using my retinue mod. You can change the spreadsheet's retinue compositions back to vanilla if you prefer.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good works, I am also trying to solve the horse archers problem and found your posts about the combat tactics. I believe the main problem is still "base_type = light_cavalry" in the HA (horse archers) defination, which complicate the situation in harass tactic and disorganised harass tactic, and probably some other tactics that requires light_cavalry.

For example,
In the original game, harass tactic (with good commander) requires < 75% light_cavalry (LC+Camel+HA), and < 50% HA (Paradox's workaround)
With the mod, harass tactic (with good commander) requires < 75% LC and < 75% Camel, which means this tactic will now be available for a pure light_cavalry flank (e.g. 67% LC 33% Camel), and it feels wrong, when a flank is >= 75% light_cavalry (LC+Camel), I suppose harass tactic would be replaced by disorganised harass tactic.

The question is how to check the percentage of LC+Camel in a flank? It seems that it is impossible to calculate it using the script as the math operation is very limited, and hardcoding long script blocks to match the combinations is just not a good solution, since a "light_cavalry = 0.75" simply works, if HA is not light_cavalry.