Mix of no player movement animation, and I have no idea what's just happened

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NoDramaLlama

Sergeant
32 Badges
Aug 9, 2018
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Empire of Sin
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • BATTLETECH
  • Magicka
I find as I start a game I want player movement animation on. There's not much happening, and it gives me a good overview of what's happening around me. But as I play, and we work towards turn 40, I've got a few visual diplomatic agreements, and I'm watching AI 1 move 17 units 3 hexes.... fark me right, super annoying, I don't care. And then AI 2 does the same. The wait time kills me. So I turn off Player Movement Animation, but now I have no idea what's happening around me cause shiz is moving like crazy!
Yes, if you look at the invasion alerts you see it first, but that's not what the game gives you fist. You might get hero offers and etc for energy which you pay, only to realise you needed to drop that energy into rushing a unit, as much as I love this game, the priority of alerts is sometimes really annoying. Like if someone you're not that close too offers a peace treaty. Yeah cool, I don't want to deal with you right now. Next alert, ally asks you to go to war with the faction you just agreed to not fight.......... really????? Well now I look bad and my rep takes a hit. It had to come in that order???
So anyway I suppose there's a 2 in 1. Late game waiting for AI to take turns is painful and takes way too long, but post player movement animation you have no idea what's happening around you and the alert order betrays you.

Upvote 0
Options -> World UI -> Observe Mode -> Set to "Observe enemies only".

If you see them moving around pointlessly (particulary walking back and forth between 2 hexes), there is a 99% chance that is a AI bug. I noticed that with hostile NPC factions in Galactic Empire - and reported it.

Options -> World UI -> Observe Mode -> Set to "Observe enemies only".

If you see them moving around pointlessly (particulary walking back and forth between 2 hexes), there is a 99% chance that is a AI bug. I noticed that with hostile NPC factions in Galactic Empire - and reported it.
I have "set to observe enemies only" on already. And my allies definitely love to move several units a few hexes back and forth

And my allies definitely love to move several units a few hexes back and forth
Then make a bug report with "AI stuck in movement loop", while attaching the previous end-turn savegame.

That is the kind of bug where they need savegames to have any hope of figuring out and thus fixing the issues.

Then make a bug report with "AI stuck in movement loop", while attaching the previous end-turn savegame.

That is the kind of bug where they need savegames to have any hope of figuring out and thus fixing the issues.
Because that's not my suggestion. What would be optimal is for observe enemies only, or a different setting/slider, to make animation as fast as possible for stuff I don't care about like other factions I'm not at war with, and it doesn't cut to them, but then gets my attention and plays at normal speed my enemies movements so I can watch domain invasions etc.
Also I'd like domain invasions to be prioritised in your alerts on the right hand side. I find in the later game the time between turns can take so long I don't want to pay attention to all of it and I play with my dog or get a drink. So I'd like it to be faster, or prioritise alerting me of incoming doom. Preferably both