META THREAD: Warlock Wishlist - Post ALL your Suggestions here...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my, guys, you truly have a lot of fantastic suggestions for further improving this game.:confused:

I really hope Paradox/Ino-Co read this thread and implement all or at least most of these improvements and tweaks.

I hate to say it, but I would even pay for them as DLC or expansion.

G will not truly put unit in defensive mode.
Unit will not get perk that reduces damage by 50%, if G button is used. Also, unit will not end turn, so it can be moved again.

Yes you're right! But somehow the unit spents the movement and you can end the turn without the notification pop-up.
Maybe it's guard mode but it's bugged??
I don't know.I just saw that the icon changed and thought that works. :unsure:

I'm a new player and really like the game...but...hotkeys!?

I need player setable hotkeys for unit orders.
I use wsad to move the screen and need to be able to set nearby keys for 'defend' & 'rest' etc.
Having to move the cursor from the extreme right edge to the left edge for each order is a pain.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm going to have to ask again...

#1. Increase all mana costs for summoning spells.
My suggestion would be to increase all the 'basic' summon spells (bears, rats, imps, and spirits wolves) to 55 mana (28 in your territory).

The summoning spells are all used to loot lairs, and at its current low cost, offers a ridiculous advantage.
If the mana cost was increased to 55, it would require some sacrifice (in terms of mana) to actually perform this.
It would also eliminate mass summoning in the early game. Which would balance these spells out. Mind you, you can choose to summon these units in your territory to mass summon. However, then you would have to actually upkeep these units and take numerous turns to move them towards the lairs, which would also balance them out.

Easy looting with summons:
1. You use a scouting unit to spot a lair.
2. Summon a unit behind the lair.
3. The lair guardian will attack that summoned unit, and will move off said lair as it attacks your summoned unit.
4. The Scout unit can now loot the lair easily (or the summoned unit if it survived).
5. Disband summoned unit (no reason to pay the upkeep for a heavily damaged unit that would require several turns of resting and such, especially when you can easily summon more).
Note: Spirit wolves with 18 attack can often attack these lairs and force the guardian to retreat, and then be disbanded without worry.

The key point is that these spells give you a dominating advantage in the first 30 turns. Especially spirit wolves with that 18 attack for a mere 25 mana. They are ridiculously versatile.
- 2 spirit wolves and 2 archers will easily take a full health enemy city in a single turn. (so you attack with 1 spirit wolf and 2 archers, and summon one to capture).
- enemy magic and archer heroes always have low melee resist, and its easy to summon a spirit wolf behind it and hammer them.
- they are the best lair capturers. You can attack imps, bears, rats, rogues, and skeletons and capture the lair instantly as your attack pushes them off the lair. Then just disband the wolf if you don't want to pay its upkeep.
- see enemy settler. summon a unit, attack it and kill it.

If anyone thinks these summon spells are balanced, I would be more than happy to show you in a MP game on a small flat map. Just don't scream when I have the whole map looted by turn 24 or so, and have most of an alternate world portal cleared too using sacrifical summons. Which then means I'm probably hitting you by turn 35 or so with 2 temple units (funded by the lairs) + a swarm of lower level units.

EDIT:
#2: Rangers guild needs a farm (or market) requirement
The fact that you can start training hunters from a level 1 village gives humans a huge advantage in the first 30 turns. Same thing if you have a neutral human village close to your capital. It just lets you swarm units out, which then lets your capital focus on training settlers rather than combat troops. In addition, it makes it really easy to take advantage of enchanted weapons (magic nodes) or silver weapons (silver): you can have a level 2 village training hunters with this kind of equipment, while all the other factions need level 3 villages to do so (which is an additional 8 turns or so before a settle reaches level 3?)

Last edited:
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm going to have to ask again...

#1. Increase all mana costs for summoning spells.
My suggestion would be to increase all the 'basic' summon spells (bears, rats, imps, and spirits wolves) to 55 mana (28 in your territory).

[...]

Heh, it always amazes me how awesome some people are at discovering cool tactics like these.

Maybe because I'm too slow to think of them myself, but anyway... Reading your post, I agree. This summoning thing sounds very OP. Especially against the AI, which is proving to be weaker and weaker for every game I play.

Some small tooltip/ui thoughts

An option/button to skip enemy moves
It's exceptionally rare that I care about random enemy movements, so towards the mid and late game, I find myself constantly mashing through the animation skip button. An option to either disable enemy moves entirely, or a button to skip them all would be great.

An option to only show moves resulting in combat with your units would also be welcome.

Military/Terrain tooltips
It'd be nice if the terrain tooltips changed based on whether you were controlling a military unit or not

Right now, you always see the terrain resource boosts - but those are only meaningful when building/planning a city, casting certain spells, or if you have a settler selected

The rest of the time, if you have a military unit selected, it'd be great if you could see combat mods based on the terrain type and the terrain skills that a given unit has, so you can quickly see at a glance where you should be moving/standing for combat

Movement distance indicator

Just a simple change to the current gold/grey/cursor marks - add a different color to the movement path to show when you are on the final movement square. Note that the UI does this with a blue gem marker if you are moving long distances, but what it does not do is show the indicator if you're moving within the units movement distance.

That is: Say you have a unit with 3 movement. You're standing on a big flat field of plains. If you move the cursor three spaces away, you'll get the same indicator as two spaces, but you can't attack if you move three spaces. The only way to confirm this is to move the cursor farther, and then the blue end-of-current-turn movement limit will show up.

This is kind of inconvenient when dealing with various types of terrain/terrain walking/friendly city spaces/etc and trying to figure out if you can move the unit far enough to attack an enemy unit. Simply changing the cursor color to indicate that you're at the edge of a units movement range and can no longer attack that turn would be nice.

I bring this up because I've lost an attack one too many times by moving one space farther than I should have :D

Adding a turn counter to long distance moves, so you can see how many turns it will take to get somewhere would be really nice too.

Resource right click tooltips

There are a good number of racial specific buildings for each rare resource, and I can't always remember which are which - it'd be awesome if you could right click terrain to bring up more info, specifically what structures could be built on a given resource. This would help with planning what racial city to drop on a tile if you have access to multiple settler types.

Fast buy unit upgrades
While I'm always picky about what upgrades go on what units, later in the game when I'm flush with gold, I often want a new unit to be fully upgraded. A button to buy ALL upgrades would speed up the tedious process of upgrading a fresh batch of recruits significantly.

Better sorting for unit enchantments
Mid/late game units can have an insane number of buffs active. Normally this isn't a problem, but when you're trying to figure out if a unit already has an enchantment placed on it, this is really annoying.

So a few different suggestions for this:

1) Prevent casting a buff on a unit that already has the buff. This wouldn't be a perfect fix, but for whatever reason, you can recast a buff that a unit already has on it.

2) Change the buff sorting. Right now it displays all the buffs in a gigantic pile, sorted in the order the unit acquired them. If all unit inherent buffs, perks, upgrades, and then enchantments were separated, this would at least help a little.

3) Change the enchantment sorting. If all offensive/defensive/mobility/utility enchantments were clustered together, you could more easily identify if a unit is missing a weapon enhancement, haste spell, armor buff, etc.

4) Change the spell UI to dim out enchantments that a selected unit already has active. This would greatly simplify figuring out what a unit already has active.

5) Add a button for enchantments that behaves exactly the same way as the existing 'Upgrades' button. You pick a unit, click an 'Enchantments' button, and select an enchantment the unit doesn't already have. This would be my favorite choice for obvious reasons :cool: It'd make maintaining your hero/temple/heavy hitter units much more efficient.

There's also a bug with the 'Expanded' spellbook. You a) can't use the mousewheel to scroll it and b) if you have too many spells in a category, it simply cuts off after one page and won't go any farther with the left/right buttons.

Custom hotkeys

Simple as that. I typically remap my buttons using something like autohotkey, but I'm sure there are plenty of players who would love the ability to remap hotkeys natively.

AI improvements to managing heroes/temple units
There are a lot of reasons the AI has trouble against a human player even on 'impossible' difficulty in this game, but I think a fairly major one is that the AI seems to be very poor about properly enhancing its 'super' units. I have yet to run into an AI hero or temple unit (or even high end upgraded unit) that is properly buffed to the gills with upgrades/enchantments/gear.

I don't know how much that can be improved, but if they AI could be taught to be much more careful with its strongest units and try to level them up and keep them alive and fully buff them, they'd be a lot more dangerous.

It should also be more aggressive about dispelling your supremely buffed units. Piling every enchantment in the world onto a single unit would be a much less effective strategy if the AI was aggressive about removing them.

Adding new types of mid/high end monsters that strip off single enchantments with each attack (not counter-attack) would also help.

Even some 'armor breaking' monsters that could break single upgrades would also be another nasty type of resource/buff drainer.

Last edited:
1. Hotkey for building city with settlers please. The 'B' key would be fine. Customizable hotkeys would be nice, but I do know it tends to require quite a bit more work to program.

2. For MP, a turn bell with its own adjustable sound level. Playing warlock, I often tab out when its no longer my turn. But it's really hard to know when its your turn again.

First of all, excellent game, totally awesome. But much room for improvement. (This game is really unique that way: with so much room for improvement, the game should logically suck, at least a bit, but it doesn't! It's still great!)

Second, I have a huge list going, but I think I'll just focus on the most important. Oh, and thanks to Ino-co/Paradox for actually shortening my list with every patch! I love it that you keep improving the game!

My list:

1: Hotkeys!: Add more hotkeys! (This used to be just "Add hotkeys!", so good start! :) )

2: AI/Neutral/Monster turn: When the AI is moving, the screen should CENTER on the unit moving, preferably with a nice little cursor, indicating what unit is doing the moving/attacking. I lose track SO many times.
2b: Additionally, that big ass picture showing me who is moving? Yeah, it's in the way! Could we move it to a corner, make it smaller, or something?
2c: Lastly on this subject, give us the option to skip the whole thing. And maybe add a "battle report" feature of some kind.

3: Spells: Revamp the spell-casting system, making maybe two categories: "combat/blessing spells" and "world/city/terraforming spells", where you could cast maybe one of each at the same time. This would make sure that some currently "useless" spells would be used. If that was done, some tweaking in mana cost would be needed. (This one is complicated, but I think something needs to be done.)
3b: Spell reseraching seems like a total shot in the dark. Give us a tech-tree or something!

4: Diplomacy: Change the AI behavior to NOT want to be at war constantly.
4b: Give the AI ability to gauge opponent strength, before going gung-ho on everyone, especially when he is weak.
4c: Add territorial "Passability". The AI should be able to deny me access into his area.
4d: Add a "trust" penalty for breaking deals. If I declare war or attack out of the blue, the AI shouldn't just accept peace again after a few turns. And when I keep doing it, it should last a lot longer before being able to negotiate peace.
4e: Make the AI put a "price" on peace if it feels it's ahead, for example if it registers that it has killed more of your units than you have of its units, and if it is taking cities from you, make sure it puts some demands on the table if you ask for peace.

5: Game settings: We need at LEAST one or two more (higher) difficulty levels. Even if you have to give the AI many advantages.
5b: Add option to adjust monster/neutrals strength.
5c: Add option to adjust strength of extra worlds.
5d: Add option to make fixed teams. (So you could make 2 teams, for instance: you vs. ALL the AIs. :) )
5e: More map sizes.

6: More defenses: Add the ability to actively upgrade city and tower defenses. Apart from the capital city, you can steamroll over everything early on with low-level units. I suspect the AI would fare better with better defensive capabilities.

7: Extra Worlds: I'd love for the extra worlds to have a more progressive design, instead of just having the portal smacked down in the middle of it all. I think it would be better if the extra map worlds were rectangular instead of square, and then you would have the portal appear in one end of this rectangular map. The difficulty of monsters would increase as you moved towards the far end of the map, and at the end of the map you'd have the really big baddies, with some big rewards. Maybe even a special city with a bunch of goodies, resources and spells.

Some small and quick ones:
- More factors that play into a "God's relations" - more indicators, too.
- Add "World" level artifacts: For example, you could find an artifact that increases your population growth slightly. (Perhaps these could be stored in a city, and you would lose that artifact when you lost the city. And there would be a limit to how many artifacts you could store in each city, just so you didn't put all of them in your capital. Alternatively, your heroes could carry the artifacts in some kind of bag - in addition to their "Hero items".
- "Penalty for city-spamming" - More costly to make new cities (only profitable after certain size), and/or to make settlers more expensive.
- Function: Set city to automaticall build "economy" or "food".
- Small icon or the like showing that a unit is on "Sentry" or "Defending".
- More use for additional resource tiles - Example, making another foundry on the Iron resource could, perhaps, further improve armor on units.
- Give cities an individual ability to terraform surroundings - at a price and with a timeframe, of course.
- More influence (and indicators) on population growth - not just the spell you may get at some point.

Oh, and maybe a campaign would be nice. Just a minor suggestion. ;)

That's about it for now. :)

Resource right click tooltips

There are a good number of racial specific buildings for each rare resource, and I can't always remember which are which - it'd be awesome if you could right click terrain to bring up more info, specifically what structures could be built on a given resource. This would help with planning what racial city to drop on a tile if you have access to multiple settler types.

Fast buy unit upgrades
While I'm always picky about what upgrades go on what units, later in the game when I'm flush with gold, I often want a new unit to be fully upgraded. A button to buy ALL upgrades would speed up the tedious process of upgrading a fresh batch of recruits significantly.
I come here to ask exactly this stuff.

Better sorting for unit enchantments
Mid/late game units can have an insane number of buffs active. Normally this isn't a problem, but when you're trying to figure out if a unit already has an enchantment placed on it, this is really annoying.

So a few different suggestions for this:

1) Prevent casting a buff on a unit that already has the buff. This wouldn't be a perfect fix, but for whatever reason, you can recast a buff that a unit already has on it.

2) Change the buff sorting. Right now it displays all the buffs in a gigantic pile, sorted in the order the unit acquired them. If all unit inherent buffs, perks, upgrades, and then enchantments were separated, this would at least help a little.

3) Change the enchantment sorting. If all offensive/defensive/mobility/utility enchantments were clustered together, you could more easily identify if a unit is missing a weapon enhancement, haste spell, armor buff, etc.

4) Change the spell UI to dim out enchantments that a selected unit already has active. This would greatly simplify figuring out what a unit already has active.

5) Add a button for enchantments that behaves exactly the same way as the existing 'Upgrades' button. You pick a unit, click an 'Enchantments' button, and select an enchantment the unit doesn't already have. This would be my favorite choice for obvious reasons :cool: It'd make maintaining your hero/temple/heavy hitter units much more efficient.

There's also a bug with the 'Expanded' spellbook. You a) can't use the mousewheel to scroll it and b) if you have too many spells in a category, it simply cuts off after one page and won't go any farther with the left/right buttons.
6) Highlight enchantment on creature enchantment list if you pointing on it with same enchantment

My vote is for :
- a demon race
- varied worlds to travel to, (like an outworld etc)
- In general more races

All of the things have been suggest already and explained to how and what. So like I said my vote is going out for them.

In-Game Chat:
- When you bring it up with 't', it should show the latest message, not the first message!!!
- Needs a bell noise when someone sends a message (option to turn it off)
- Option to adjust how long until message disappears.
- Option to choose how many mesasages will appear on the screen (ex. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20).

Can we get an option to completely disable water?

It hurts the AI, even on Great Land maps, it wastes resources on building tons of ships for useless ponds, and it will let really powerful units die by moving them into water, leaving them as a low hp transport.

Some options to set permanent War between you and the AI and to set permanent teams would also be welcome.

Can we get an option to completely disable water?

It hurts the AI, even on Great Land maps, it wastes resources on building tons of ships for useless ponds, and it will let really powerful units die by moving them into water, leaving them as a low hp transport.

Some options to set permanent War between you and the AI and to set permanent teams would also be welcome.

Hear hear!

And this sounds - in my ignorant opinion - like something that would be fairly easy to implement.

1st just wanted to say from a longtime strategy gamer you all have a little gem of a game here.

Some friendly suggestions/requests:

1.) The steam listing for this game still shows single player only. I would have picked it up much earlier had I known it had multi. There are gamers out there that automatically bypass any game that is single player only. Be a good move to see if steam can adjust the listing to reflect its post patch multiplayer capability.

2.) Would be cool if there were smaller map options (for multi). Maybe a dual sized map, a tiny map, a map with a city build limit perhaps, troop build limits may work too. Maps resource balanced for 1v1, 1v1v1, 2v2 etc. Lots of possibilities (may we add them all? haha). Many gamers love the huge maps, the bigger with more races the better and such - I get it. Many of us not so much though (perhaps even the not so outspoken on forums - majority). This is why Civ got shelved for me and so many other strategy games. I suspect it is why many strategy sequels fail to impress, publishers use "bigger and more" as a selling point. Not the same genre but this also killed hearts of Iron, europa and most other paradox sequals for me when they came out. Waaay to many provinces. They should have went the other direction and condensed them into fewer. Myself and my strat gamer friends all lose interest really fast when there are too many fronts/cities/units on the map. Seems to get less tactical and more of a spam cities and units experience. (Or in civ's case, spam the next turn button) The game starts to feel more like work than a fun gaming experience. The solution for me tends to be start a new game. Not because of losing but because the beginning of the game is so much fun. Fast turns, 1 or 2 groups of units to manage, quick leveling - instant gratification.

3.) Perhaps down the road a leaderboard and ranking system for multiplayer.

I only bother posting because the game has huge multiplayer potential. Since age of wonders 2 - really no game has stepped up and filled the multiplayer TBS void.

Last edited:
Enjoying Warlock very much after following up a favourable review, and it doesn't disappoint; but there is certainly room for improvement, hence this thread I suppose.

I'd certainly like to see the diplomacy options expanded a little; I know that's probably not a priority, but I feel that the diplomacy is a little simple at the moment to really be of any use. The option to offer a declaration of war/peace on other Great Mages other than the one that the player is interacting with would be a good place to start; but I understand that this ain't Civilization, so...

Still, would be a good development, could potentially add a lot of depth; of course that depends on improvements to the AI that still need to be made.

Posted this elsewhere, but how about a Dwarf based DLC which includes a race specific "burrowing" feature? Provide some way for dwarves to tunnel underground and build underground cities in a second toggle-able map layer. Limit it to underneath mountains/hills if needed for balance reasons. This would also allow for dwarf-made mountain passes (ex. Moria), discovery of mineral resources, or a chance to encounter whatever other potential underground stuff you can think up. Also, Dwarves should be made 1st class citizens similar to Elves with a "Dwarven Relatives" or similar perks, for a Dwarf village, and so on! :p

I'll also +1 the AI and diplomacy enhancement requests.

I feel like a second form of Armageddon, but more from the perspective of the invader as the Great King would be interesting since he'd suffer no penalties from using any of the races, but maybe can only recruit hero level units and thus everything comes at great expense.

AI is still too warlike, but much better than when I first got the game a year ago when it would just constantly make demands.

Suggestion for dlc/expansion/sequel:

Addition of Minor Races

Great Mages would not start with these races. Minor races would only be available from neutral cities. They would have their own building and unit tree, usually less complex then full races. Also they would not have settler units.

This would make getting these neutral cities really a unique experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.