• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WOBG_1677.png

The world in 1677​

The session began with Britain under the miserable leadership of Hereberht Picard (3/0/0). Declaring an unprovoked war against the Inca in 1651, he sets off a period of instability in Britain, with the overreaching national government prompting pushback from local powers. He dies in Peru on campaign in 1652, and his replacement, Simon Picard (5/3/4) takes over the fight, both globally and domestically.

state_triumphant.jpg

The state triumphs in 1666, and with Britain firmly in hand, I can turn my attention to other matters; in the final days of 1669, I finally declare war on Breizh for my second victory card, joined by Bavaria. Benelux and Draconia come to Breizh's aid, and somehow AI Balkan Federation (not allied to Breizh) joins the war.

Most of the fighting takes place in eastern France, with the Bavarian army pushing west; my attempts to land troops in Brittany or in northern Benelux are both easily repelled by the defenders. (I probably needed more transports; I could only move a half-stack of 34 at a time, which meant they could be easily caught on their own by a full stack of defenders.) Eventually, I land troops in Thuringia and move them to the eastern front of Bavaria, pushing back the Balkan Federation enough that they accepted a white peace, and then all of our attention could be focused on the western front.

The war goes back and forth; Berry and Paris both fall, and then are retaken by the defenders. The British and Dutch navies clash, with the British pushed back into port; then they clash again, and the Dutch flagship is captured by the British. Nearly ten years in, the position is similar to the beginning of the war, but with four million dead.
flagship_captured.jpg
In 1676, Simon Picard dies, and his chosen replacement Osbern Osraed ascends to the presidency. One year in, it is unclear what his legacy will be; will he preside over a historic British victory, or a crushing defeat, or something else?

Other events of the session are that Britain hits 100 innovation, and 100 max absolutism, both highest in the world.

Around the world, the main news of import is that King of Men has moved to northern Russia, now called 'Noobgorod'; Portugal, unplayed and with its AI protection run out, is being slowly consumed; Inca and India, both opened up to player expansion to 1650, are mostly conquered, Inca split between Naples, Ar Adunaim, and Britain, and India split between Georgia, Thuringia, Benelux, the Edron Trading Company, and Japan. Next session, the Balkan Federation player will either return or the country's AI protection will run out, which promises change in eastern Europe. South America is nearly completely colonized, and North America is rapidly approaching that.

Last edited:
“FIRST RANK! PRESENT!”
“FIRST RANK! FIRE!”

A cloud of smoke spat forth from the barrels of rows upon rows of muskets. Scaled hands pawing at the elongated amalgamation of wood and steel that made up their weapons.

“SECOND RANK! PRESENT!”

Those hands grasping their now reloaded weaponry now brought those weapons up to their shoulders, sights bearing down on the black masses of stout warriors in iron clad.

“SECOND RANK! FIRE!”

Barked the Captain. And another dark acrid cloud of gunpowder spat forth. Dozens, hundreds of forms fell, but they kept marching.

“Khazad! Khazad!” The stout forms chanted.

“FIRST RANK! PRESENT!”
“FIRST RANK! FIRE!”

And more forms fell.

“A grim sight eh, Comrade Colonel.”
The sourfaced Colonel nodded solemnly. He was only 63 years of age, still young but war finds a way to rapidly promote young hatchlings like him to positions of command.

He took his eye from his spyglass to turn to consider his aide-de-camp, a silver scaled Tyrannian. By Melkor, he was even younger than him! The silver Tyrian nicknamed Slim by friend and subordinate alike had been his aide-de-camp for the better part of the year, the rest kept dying on him.

“FIRST RANK! PRESENT!”
“FIRST RANK! FIRE!”

The battlefield was thick with smoke now, and the stouts were almost upon them, soon they would let loose their battlecry, drop their guns for their battle axes and charge their ranks. A chilling strategy, and most unfortunately a very effective one.

Returning to his spyglass he tried to spot the positions of his allies, the Dutch had wisely taken positions on the reverse side of the hill, the french were in Reserve, hyping themselves with cries of Vive le France!

The bronze scaled Colonel put down his spy glass. The stouts were about to charge.
“A damn shame.” He muttered.

The realm of the Stouts stood across the alps north of the Tyrannian Republic. Their history together had not always been friendly, there had been those touch and go moments over the centuries, but for the past century, for the entirety of Colonel Drake’s adult life they had been friendly enough. He had even been assigned as an observer to a Stout company back when he was a Lieutenant.

“FIX BAYONETS!!”
“CHARGE!”

The block of Tyrians set forth to meet the stouts head on. Battleaxe against sword and bayonet.

Both sides fought diligently and fought honourably, and performed admirably. After a half hour though, the line broke and the stouts broke off the engagement, carrying their wounded back with them across the battlefield. They had acquitted themselves well.

Drake sighed. He turned to his aide-de-camp.

“How many times does that make today Comrade Captain?”

“That makes the 7th time today Comrade Colonel.”

They just kept coming.

Cartridge. Bite. Pull. Spit. Tap. Aim. Fire. These were the moves every soldier in the army learned by rote, to perform mechanically like clockwork. No impurity shall taint these movements, no imprecision shall lead a soldier astray from these vital movements.

Cartridge. Bite. Pull. Spit. Tap. Aim. Fire.

Three rounds a minute. That was the minimum. The Republic didn’t have the numbers to fight the great powers of Europe, much less the stouts, and the stouts… Just kept coming…

“CLOSE RANKS!”

Medical personnel and younger runners, usually copper Tyrians ran out and grabbed bodies, injured or dead and dragged them behind the lines as the remaining standing soldiers closed ranks and prepared for the next wave.

Seven times today they had stood and fight, and could expect to do this seven more times until nightfall.

Then tomorrow they would march out to this same spot, and prepare to repeat it all again, fourteen more times.

Three rounds a minute.

Not in the seventeenth century, I'm reasonably convinced. That's a Napoleonic rate of musketry. These are matchlock muskets, with the extra step of removing the match from the trigger mechanism before loading (so it doesn't ignite the powder while you're working with it) and then putting it back before firing.

WOBG_1696.png

The World in 1696​

Sadly, I had to miss this session after the first ~15 minutes, as the internet in my cabin in the mountains failed to meet the task of anything faster than speed 1. During week diplomacy ended the British Conquest of Armor with Britain giving up its claims in Breizh.

I hear a League War happened, and Britain participated, but did little besides blockade Flanders (and totally occupy America). The Americas are now all colonized except for a patch west of the Pueblo, a British vassal. Three other native nations are left: Potawatomi, a British vassal in Michigan, Pawnee, at the boundary between three colonial powers, and the Aztecs live on in a tiny strip on the Pacific coast of Mexico, and an enclave inside Portuguese CNs; with Portugal unplayed, those CNs are ripe for conquest.

Australia begins to open next session, and with Enlightenment and the Age of Revolutions right around the corner; the EU4 section of our campaign is entering its final leg.

Last edited:
Last session saw a huge war erupt as England sought out in a bid for maybe not mastery, but at least a bump of greatness, fought a war against Brittany (Mike) to try to gain well, his capital Region of Brittany, likely crippling him.

Allied with Bavaria (who I and others in this game tend to refer to as “the Dwarves” as per Rangers (it’s player’s) RP, although his massive manpower regeneration (something truly absurd, like over 10,000 a month) makes a lot of us also refer to him as “Orcs” as per Saruman’s orc breeding pools from the Lord of the Rings film.

But anyways, Ranger and Vaniver were allied and together they launched their invasion of Mike’s country. Mike was allied on paper with Flanders and my humble nation of Draconia. Caught off guard I was forced to a titantic struggle, whether to help Mike who has been friendly and helpful all game, or Ranger who while was my ally hasn’t always been so helpful. In the end I knew in my heart the only moral decision was to help Mike, and while I had technically already entered the war, I committed myself to its conclusion. Although I still dithered a bit, I suggested to Ranger that we don’t attack each other’s homelands and while I didn’t get a response in the affirmative as long as he didn’t cross over and threaten my homeland directly I was not going to threaten his and focused on fighting the war in France. Some interesting Korean war parallels here where once we had pushed Ranger off of France later on during the war I was fully prepared to draw the line at the border and not push further, my goal was Mike’s defence and as long as neither Vaniver nor Ranger made a serious go at my country I wasn’t going to demand anything or advance further.

Although there were some close calls… Vaniver DID in the end make a go at attacking my country on his way back to the West from Hungary, and Ranger did occupy one of the remote corner forts of my country… I submitted my complaint in writing to the foreign ministers office and had the issue sorted out and their generals were sacked. They had gone rogue you see!

As it happened we ended up being pushed back all the way to the Loire valley. But my troop’s arrival changed the situation significantly. For one my troops were better than even Dragoon’s, and while my morale was at least a whole point behind Rangers’ I had a massive advantage in firepower and excellent discipline. So as long as my forces got in their shots even from musket volley or massed cannon then Ranger’s morale was quickly drained as the battle dragged on and was able to deal significant if not massive casualties, in some ticks easily 10:1 casualties during my fire phases.

However the war was a significant drain on my manpower, and was nearly forced to start tapping the professionalism button to slacken standards and fill in the ranks. Considering how this war was not going to gain me territory, and as I said above didn’t wish it to regardless I didn’t wish to spend those resources on this war. The session ending when it did brought the war to a close. Peace was reached with Vaniver accepting land in Spain as a face saving offer.

Last week (the week after the war described above) was a different war. This time allied once again with Ranger we went and fought the Religious League War; with King of Men, Ranger and myself representing one side I am not sure which to be frank, and Georgia (Mark), Tazzzo, Mike and Flanders all being on the other. In retrospect geographically and in terms of players this wasn’t a well balanced war and perhaps the teams should have been better shuffled.

As it was, Tazzzo, Mark and Dragoon marched into Northern Russia, Mike invaded Portugal and me and Ranger invaded Yugoslavia. A gentleman’s agreement was accepted where none of us would invade each others lands (poor King of Men!).

Me and Ranger had a pretty decent showing in the Balkans. We could win any battle on flat land, but came up a hair short against any forts on more difficult terrain. I think with a little better organization (one of my worser generals kept commanding the battles, or Ranger’s, my troops weren’t always in the battle with the best of timing and so on) towards the beginning and the end of the war was where things were best for us but dragged on during the middle.

I think knowing what I know now it would have gone better. Keeping my six fire leader first in the line and taking the first crack at sieges and this probably would have gone better. If we had been able to enact our plan, and connect our front line to Batas and link up with King of Men’s and Yami’s forces in Russia I think we could have turned things around just from having the strongest armies in a position where they couldn’t be easily dislodged.

Next week, with Yugoslavia’s AI protection over and the truce timer almost gone, I’ll hopefully have my chance at expansion in both Spain (taking over its colonies to improve my force limits) and Yugoslavia (gaining badly needed development).

King of Men, Ranger and myself representing one side I am not sure which to be frank

You were on the Orthodox side, or translated to the vernacular, the Correct side. Sadly, this world is given over to the Prince of Darkness, and while we are promised victory against the Gates of Hell, nothing has been said about the servants of Satan prior to the Millennium.

WOBG_1730.png

The World in 1730​
Nearly the whole world is open for colonization; only a few pacific islands remain, locked until 1750. This session spanned 34 years, in part because of minimal player wars; given our historical average of about 28, that suggests only three sessions remain.

Ar Adunaim, sensing an opportunity in Mexico, seized the remaining Portuguese colonies; Britain seized some important Caribbean islands from that dying empire, as well as the southern coast of Iberia, much more broad than the historical Gibraltar. Cooperation with the Japanese led to Britain getting entry to the Indian ocean, as well as a slave port that they promptly used to abolish slavery, and then Britain took both the islands of the Maldives and the eastern coast of India from Cholas; while most is under local rule (under vassalage to the distant throne), the trade port is directly held. The last colonial frontier is mostly going to the Sicilians, who I believe are the only player who still has Exploration ideas, tho perhaps Britain will get a full 10-sized CN out of southeastern Australia.

The session began with players snapping up the hegemonies; Thuringia, unsurprisingly, picking up economic hegemon. Benelux, having spent all of last session building heavies, took naval hegemon. Georgia, the closest at the beginning of the session and the only country with a sufficiently high force limit, took military hegemon. How that shifts the balance of power remains to be seen; an Egyptian war to slightly shift the border on the coast of Eastern Africa turned into a major threat to Thuringia, which called in as many allies as it could.

Enlightenment appeared in Egypt, and then shortly thereafter we entered the Age of Revolutions; like Enlightenment, the Revolution appeared in Egypt (now a Revolutionary Kingdom) and is threatening to spread throughout Europe. While Britain is about as far away from that as can be, and the state is firmly under the control of the technocracy, the colonies are beginning to agitate for more local control. In a gamble, the state funds a massive education project; just as universities were instrumental in bringing Ireland under control, perhaps too they will keep the British Commonwealth excited to be a part of this forward-looking empire's future.

WOBG_1744.png

The World in 1744​

This session was short because we ran up against the maximum number of colonial nations and hadn't realized it; not able to debug it in 15 minutes, we called the week and thankfully have figured it out.

Early in the session, a negotiated war with Benelux grants Britain both Naval Hegemony and Burma, paying for it with the Cholan land it recently acquired. Georgia lost a war against Thuringia, losing its hegemony status as well. This left no reason to avoid the revolution, and both countries quickly sided with Egypt, their stale leadership replaced by mob rule.

Before long, revolutionary sentiment had spread to much of the world, including Britain. Long a leader in absolutism, the technocracy crushed other local power to dominate the country. The clergy had long been partially absorbed into the bureaucracy and had no meaningful independent leadership or hierarchy; the burghers, while individually hugely influential, were also mostly bought into the Academy's framework and had major positions, with guilds also absorbed into the national system; the nobility were split between the Picards, the originators of the national system and whose house dynamics were hugely influenced by which of them was President (if any), and other lesser nobles, who had long been squeezed out of their lands and privileges.

What about the people? While the educational system, with schools even in the remote countryside, would identify promising individuals to bring to the towns, and even more promising individuals to bring to the cities, and the most promising to London itself, the peasants of much of Britain found themselves with little voice. The elites didn't have planes yet, and so wouldn't have called it "flyover country", but the same feeling was often present; it was more common that a scholar-bureaucrat born in Roxburghshire now in London would seek to completely forget their family and childhood friends than represent the hicks they had risen above.

But in an era where illiterate peasants in the far corners of Europe could assemble and agitate, how much easier for the literate peasants of stable Britain, where the post would carry their papers in secret, and the Academy trained more replacements than it needed, callously casting the others aside? There were natural agitators against the system in those just below the cutoff, not just in the villages (where they had long dreamed of moving to a town), but also in the towns, where they knew they had not made it to the city; and the cities outside of London, and even within London, there were elites within elites, and most of the capital were laborers anyway, seeing the riches of empire but not owning them.

In 1744, the revolution has spread to most of the British homelands. The British leadership, willing to support it to destabilize the continent, is now figuring out how to handle it at home.

WOBG_1774.png

The World in 1774​

In order to get the revolution to fire in Britain, I have to drop my stability--easily done by switching my native policy from 'prime directive' to 'assimilation' back to 'prime directive'--and then a single army is able to suppress the revolutionary forces, and my stability is easily raised back up to 3, and then that's that. [Sadly, I've since taken some provinces with revolution, so it's not completely done.]

The previous session ended with a major war between the Revolutionary powers and Noobgorod, with some defenders; Egypt had to miss this session, however, and so it was resolved with a white peace. Overall, it seems like the revolution has spread as far as it will, and is well beyond the ability of the reactionary powers to control. Whether new world colonies will remain with their mother countries or be further inflamed by this is hard to say--but given that we assume nearly all colonies will win independence wars by default leading to Vicky, it's not clear that makes much difference.

Most of the session was spent swallowing some remaining AI (Britain, for example, now controls almost all of the Burma trade node, first splitting Taunga down to size, vassalizing it, and then building it back up) and developing; basically all players are now above gov cap, and likely to remain so for the rest of the game. Portugal now lives on as a one-province minor.

The major war of the session was Georgia declaring on Thuringia's vassal Kievan Rus with Bavarian assistance; the two military powers of central Europe are now at war with million-man armies, drowning the region with blood. As both have massive manpower and cash reserves, there's no end to the war in sight.

This session was short because we ran up against the maximum number of colonial nations

Probably not, since we were able to create New Zealand without issues. It seems to be specifically that Caribbean nation.

There were natural agitators against the system in those just below the cutoff, not just in the villages (where they had long dreamed of moving to a town), but also in the towns, where they knew they had not made it to the city; and the cities outside of London, and even within London, there were elites within elites, and most of the capital were laborers anyway, seeing the riches of empire but not owning them.

This is an excellent explanation. Now please explain how the revolution spread through the benighted villages of Russia, where the serfs still harness their wives to the plough, the priest gives the Mass by rote, and the single Bible that rests in the village church is encrusted with jewels and silver because it's much too holy to be actually opened?

Incidentally, as a non-GP I can't even trigger the revolution to get rid of it.

Now please explain how the revolution spread through the benighted villages of Russia, where the serfs still harness their wives to the plough, the priest gives the Mass by rote, and the single Bible that rests in the village church is encrusted with jewels and silver because it's much too holy to be actually opened?
Oh, that's easy; Russia is a horrible place to live, and it's the government's fault. ;)

WOBG_1820.png

The World in 1820​

We're speeding towards the end of EU4; we managed 46 years last session, and only have 16 left until we convert to Vicky. Egypt's player had to take an extended leave of absence, tho hopefully they will return; unfortunately for them they're missing the lead-up to conversion, but fortunately for them conversion will impose a break of 2 weeks anyway.

The main excitement of the session for me was a revolutionary war in the Americas; four of my colonies, including my most populous colony of New Orkney, declared at once. Thankfully the colonial loyalists were able to overwhelm them, with barely any help from Britain, and order was restored.

treay_of_london.jpg

Sadly, I will lose many of these colonies anyway with the conversion, but as a hegemon I can't afford to be losing wars, and so dependent they shall remain, for now.

Speaking of colonies, and with the end of the game in sight, let's take a tour.

Great Britain is the major colonial power, with 3335 own development and 5694 in subject development (which also counts Pueblo and Taungu). In North America, British rule stretches from Cape Breton (in modern-day Nova Scotia) to Port Friendship (modern-day San Francisco), roughly the modern continental United States plus some of southern Canada and the northern half of Mexico (tho minus the Pacific Northwest). Just over half of the tobacco grown globally comes from the British colonies in North America, and another 10% comes from their colonies in South America. Nicotine is the British drug of choice, renowned for its ability to sharpen one's reflexes and quicken the mind.

Originally more scattered throughout South America, the current British colonies there are mostly along one horizontal band, with Brazil and New Derby (which is bisected by New Arborea) on the Atlantic coast and Peru and Bolivia on the Pacific coast.

Outside the Americas, Britain has much less representation; a single province on the coast of Africa, Bengal and Burma (half held directly, and half held by the vassal Taungu), and the eastern half of Australia.

Ar-Adunaim, with 1624 own development and 2534 subject development, is the second colonial power (measured by their development, at least). With four CNs in the northeastern bit of Canada, divided by treaty with Britain three hundred years ago and adhered to faithfully, three in central America (with the two Mexican CNs the largest by dev, and also containing a fair amount of gold), and two in Southern America, the Norse faith is spread throughout the new world. Rather than CNs in the Caribbean, the pirate republic keeps islands to be its own bases, allowing easy raiding of the colonies there. [Britain too has some directly held Caribbean islands, mostly for the ability to have more world ports.]

Thuringia, with 4449 own development and 2386 subject development, has major colonies in the Caribbean (controlling both Cuba and Hispaniola), as well as the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico. It also has Canadian colonies that stretch from sea to sea, just barely, and a bit of south America. (The border march of Kievan Rus also bumps up this subject total.) Thuringia also holds the western coast of India, tho less of it than Georgia does, and some of the African coast. 60% of the world's chocolate is grown in New Anhalt, and Thuringian chocolate is known worldwide as a luxurious delight of unrivalled quality, especially the varieties mixed with spices from their Deccan plantations.

Revolutionary Grand Sicily, with 2305 own development and 1926 subject development, was a latecomer to the colonial game who nevertheless managed to seize about half of South America. Coffee is not quite the distinctive export of the region, as it's also grown in Arabia, the Ethiopian highlands, and the British bit of Mexico, and besides that most of the South American coffee is grown in the patchwork north, where many different powers have a single colony. Nevertheless, Sicilian coffee service is well-ranked throughout Europe, and the coffeehouse culture may have contributed to their turn to the revolutionary.

The Tokugawa Shogunate, with 2588 own development and 1042 subject development, has three colonies on the western coast, and a wide array of Pacific islands, mostly owning the northern Pacific and its coast. A land of tea and silk, Japan's cultural reputation is more tied with that of the Orient as a whole than the new products it has brought to the global market through colonialism.

Of course, this list was ranked by Subject Development, and the most impressive country according to the map doesn't show up. Revolutionary Benelux directly holds all of South Africa, all of eastern India, and much of the remaining African coast, with only two tiny colonial nations on the northern tip of South America. Spice, cotton, silk, gems, and slaves make it so that there is not a Dutch specialty; instead, they are renowned for being able to buy and sell anything, and to craftily work their way to the top of wherever they land.

WOBG_1836.png

The World in 1836​

Little changes in 16 years; eastern Australia is now under British control, some other colonial borders shift, and players do their final development and tech. One problem with Paradox conversion games is that at the end of each game, the players have generally all fully developed and maxed out everything that can be maxed out, but then this means everyone is the same at the beginning of the next game, which assumes there will be some meaningful disparity. (Vicky's economic model, in particular, collapses if all POPs are inside civilized concentrated empires under human control.) So we've both kept the interior of China, India, and Africa off limits, in the hopes that keeping those nations uncivilized in Vicky will keep the economy somewhat functional, and modified the techs to have a set of four techs available at the end that do basically nothing in EU4, but unlock beginning technologies in Vicky, and then a final tech worth score (but not converting directly into technology).

This meant Britain's stacked tech cost reduction--which meant I was reliably buying techs as soon as anyone could afford them, but then we'd be tied until the next tech came online--had a chance to shine. If I had developed a little less or kept up my national focus, I could have gotten at least one achievement, but getting all available techs was nevertheless good enough for me.

The final tech ranking:

36-36-36 (12 techs): Britain
35-34-35 (8 techs): Thuringia, Grand Sicily, and Bavaria
34-34-35 (7 techs): Ar Adunaim, Brittany
34-33-34 (5 techs): Tyrannia, Noobgorod, and Georgia
33-33-34 (4 techs): Benelux, Egypt
33-33-33 (3 techs): Japan

[Tho, as Japan was AI this session and the AI misspent a bunch of mana, it may be bumped up a bit.]

While the tech lead is gratifying, my suspicion is that with the change from EU4 to Vicky Britain will go from being #1 in GP score (entirely on the strength of my colonial development) to once again being a 'middle of the pack' power. I've long been hovering around 4th in real dev according to Skanderbeg, and will be about 5th or 6th in population at the beginning of Vicky. While I'll likely have many of my colonies as dominions, I don't expect them to be all that useful relative to the Dutch POPs in India or the wide Thuringian heartland full of POPs. [Benelux, for example, did so poorly on the tech ranking because it was massively over government cap, which we modified to also increase tech cost, but it seems very likely that those additional POPs will be more important than an ~8 year lead on research.]

Last edited:
Conversion has taken longer than usual, but I expect we will be off in Victoria this Sunday, and the AAR thread is up.